So Ron Paul wants to axe federal student loans

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Outis, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Really? Kill federal student loans? What the hell?

He also wants to axe the NOAA and US Geological Survey. The US Geological Survey doesn't even have regulatory powers! It's purely a research department. Welp, at that point we can't monitor conditions leading up to earthquakes. If you live near a fault ... fuck you!

Let me guess. Private businesses will study earthquakes?

2. Have you heard of something called "State government"?

It's different from the Federal government, but can still provide public services. Crazy I know.

Also, where in the Constitution are Federal student loans authorized?

Oh they aren't...

Then why don't you amend the fucking Constitution instead of ignoring it?

3. Fuck student loans, fuck the governments money I don't want it.

4. Fuck student loans is an intelligent position. I guess you would never use them anyway??

5. Exposing the Student Loan Racket (Infographic) - Healthcare Administration
    The Student Loan Racket: Now in One Easy-to-Understand Graphic « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site
    The Student Loan Racket: Ron Paul Right Again | Tom Woods

Federal student loans are a joke, and you wonder why college is so damn expensive? Yet people insist on more students being given loans to go to school whether they have a realistic chance to pay the loan back or not.

More loans, more students, means higher costs of education. More degrees and more student debt make the degree worth less because employers know there are hordes of new graduates in debt up to their eyeballs that will accept any job available to them.

Colleges have no incentive to lower costs because the government is giving out loans to anyone that wants to go to college, and actively encourages everyone into the group-think that without a college education you will be a failure in life.

Not to mention the student loans follow you for life, they cannot be discharged through bankruptcy. Have you recently graduated college and can't find a job, tough luck.

Herp derp.

6. Herp: Housing is a right, the Federal government should assist everyone in buying a home!

Derp: Education is a right too, the Federal government should assist everyone in paying for tuition... third party purveyor ftw!

----

Herp: The value of my home dropped and now I'm fucked with debt.

Derp: The value of my degree plummeted and now I'm fucked with debt.

7. What a strange coincidence! :rolleyes:

I wonder how SS and medicare are doing..

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washin...ates-limit-medicaid-hospital-stays/50886398/1

Well, at least we have the war..

8. Norwegian students get a loan (about $20000 a year) with low interest and 33% of it gets turned into a grant if you pass your classes.

Tuiton costs a symbolic 30 bucks a semester.

USA should really invest in education - it pays off in the long run. Norway being so rich and having such a high quality of life has just as much to do with a high percentage of educated people as it does with the oil.

So don't let 'em axe those student loans, push to make education free :3 Learning shouldn't cost anyone as much as it does over there

9. Thank God.

Imagine how much cheaper college will get when all the Fine Arts, Theater, Glass Blowers and Basket Weavers stop inflating the costs because 'everyone' deserves a college education

10. some states cant pay for that shit...

11. For the little taxes i do pay, i could easily send myself to school without a loan.

Outis, i thought you were an anarchist? Whats your issue with this?

12. two things:

a) the student loan 'bubble' is likely the next collapse
    b) govt handing out easy money is what has sparked this massive increase in college tuition over the past 20 years

govt is the problem

13. There is no such thing as free.

Someone pays something for it. Even if just a student and a teacher sit outside in the grass they are trading things like time, ideas, effort, etc.

Learning should certainly not cost as much as it does here but that is because so many student are flooding college who really shouldn't be in college.

If a school can only accept 10,000 people and 50,000 can afford it that means they can raise prices to the point where only the top 10,000 can afford it. If the government continues to raise the amount of money they give students the price keeps going up. It's like a feedback loop, or a snowball rolling down a hill.

When money runs out that means the bubble has burst. Colleges are used to performing close to full capacity, prices are high then money disappears and no one can attend or afford it.

14. What makes you so sure that the wealth and quality of life are due to high percentage of educated people?

Your really positive the high percentage of educated people was not caused by existing wealth and quality of life?

15. It's about time.

16. Damn that man for wanting to make education more affordable!

17. Yes, you are right, from one came the other - but it's a ... eh, opposite of evil circle. :D More educated people --> more money --> more educated people --> more money, and so on.

I think it's very hard to quantify the relationship between education and quality of life, but I think it's hard to disagree with the fact that a large percentage of skilled and knowledgeful population will help the country progress, and surpass those countries with less educated people. And the quality of life here has risen along with the amount of educated people, there is no denying that.

For example, we have completely sidestepped the financial crisis. I'm not entirely sure on the details of how this was done - so take this with a grain of salt - but I do know that our govt recruits a big team of very talented economists that handle our oil fund, and build laws to direct the general sway of our economic progress.
    Generally money is reinvested into bettering things such as education, worker benefits and hospitals, and it has really paid off for us. Big government, high taxes, very prosperous, healthy and happy people. Forgive the smugness, but I think USA should do the same. Fix the corruption in government, remodel the system, and start paying higher taxes. It's a good long-term plan

18. If you think the US should have a universal education system then you must also think the EU should take over Norway's education system? :confused:

19. The countries in the EU are not under the same kind of federal leadership like the states in USA, each country has its own thing, and I don't know enough about the other countries' systems to tell you if they should. :(

But I can tell you that our model is working extremely well for us. :smoke:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.