The problem with America's Government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by weedmonster_109, Jul 31, 2010.

1. I think that one of the major problems with America's government is the two party system. If you look at it, all it is is a big competition with no grey area. You either believe in the key principals for your party, or face ridicule or possibly not being elected. All the two party system accomplishes is strong disagreement. If a bill is proposed by the democrats the republicans first move is to argue against it and vice versa. If we had a government willing to work towards something instead of just arguing our system wouldnt be the epic fail it is today.

2. Not necessarily true..

In my experience most politicians I see now running for office are more conservative-leaning during campaigning. It's only when they're elected that they become either blatantly liberal or blatantly conservative.

3. i think they do that to win over voters, then they change when they get where they want to be. I think that can be connected to the party system because their getting in the government and joining the conservative or liberal bandwagon. So then your left with a government of right wings or left wings who argue and rarely agree.

4. Not connected to the party system directly because both democrats and republicans campaign conservatively, promising more jobs, lower taxes, etc.

You're correct in saying that they do it to win over voters, because the liberal politicians (most) know that if they campaign by saying that they will raise taxes and encourage immigration, etc., then majority of voters will not vote for them.

In an elected government, you are always going to end up with people who disagree with each others policies.

5. I agree with you there, I just think that the two party system is an inefficient system because disagreeing doesnt get you half as far as comprimising.

6. OP, I agree with you, and the system is rigged.

"The chief problem of American political life for a long time has been how to make the two Congressional parties more national and international. The argument that the two parties should represent opposed ideals and policies, one, perhaps of the Right and the other of the Left, is a foolish idea acceptable only to the doctrinaire and academic thinkers. Instead the two parties should be almost identical, so the that American people can 'throw the rascals out' at any election without leading to any profound or extensive shifts in policy." -Carrol Quigley, CFR stooge, "Tragedy & Hope"

Damn, how old are you?

Because there hasn't been a conservative President since maybe Harding. :confused:

7. I didn't say president.

8. Touche.

You'd still be hard pressed to find a conservative politician though... who comes to mind?

9. Senator Lemieux of Florida, while not necessarily a big player, has some good conservative points I agree on.

http://lemieux.senate.gov/public/index.cfm

10. They knew this would be a problem before it was even created. Washington said so

11. The REAL problem with the American Government are not the elected officials. There's maybe a thousand highly visible politicians in our daily lives, but the problem is, there's MILLIONS of unelected, unnacountable Government workers, who are virtually invisible to us. The millions who work for intelligence agencies, like the CIA and the FBI, who are arguably more powerful than the President. Politics are a facade. Who is to say that our true masters aren't the CIA and that the President is just their puppet? When was the last time we elected the CIA director, and the thousands of people that work under him?

The real problem with Government, as I demonstrated, is it's a facade. Power is centralized, but in that centralization, it is spread out among millions of Government workers. The vast majority of which, are unelected, and unaccountable, nearly anonymous. Every 4 years, they need not worry about polls and elections, they still keep their job, and they still execute their jobs and agendas without fear. In the case of the CIA, they have a monopoly on intelligence.

So really. Do you think that people like Obama are the real problem? Obama is one man, and people think he has more power than he actually does. Are political parties a problem? To an extent, sure, but the minor faults of the two parties, imo, don't put a candle to the true power that the CIA wield.

12. Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the president APPOINT the director of the CIA?

13. Correct.

Perhaps we should let the president appoint senators too? After all they are far less powerful than the CIA director...

14. The REAL problem is that the people have become complacent and we are allowing these elected, and un elected, people to shit on us in the name of their own interests.

Sure these people are corrupt and screwing us over every day, more and more. Sure the two party system is a facade. Sure "left and right wing" politicians are a joke considering most of them don't fit their given set of principals for governing.

All that is well known at this point. What needs to be figured out is how to make the PEOPLE understand it happening, and how to make the PEOPLE no longer complacent.

15. I agree with this, but want to add something.

Aside from a two party system party being a problem itself, it's worth noting that it's also representative of a HUGE problem caused by the people themselves. Everyone wants to be on one side or the other, everyone wants to have someone to blame, and everyone wants to have a figure to point to and look at as the savior. Democrats blame republicans, republicans blame democrats, left wing blames the right, right blame the left. During all that blaming nobody is paying attention to where both sides are actually agreeing unknowingly. INstead of agreeing that there is a problem and combining ideas to counter act these problems, they choose a side and focus on why the other sides strategy sucks.

In reality, niether dems, nor republicans, EVER hit the nail on the head when it comes to solving a problem, they always make a glancing hit that took lots of effort (well, looks liek to took effort) and showmanship. The people are happy with this because it LOOKS okay, however did the nail move? Barley, but its still a far way from being driven in. Sorry to be speaking metaphorically, but maybe the people in power need to learn to hit a nail, rather than to be taught how to LOOK like your doing it right. Going along with this, the PEOPLE have to be willing to know what they are looking for in terms of results.

For christ sake half the people voting for an elected official don't understand the problems that official will take on, nor do they know what it will look like if the official is solving/ or has solved, the given set of problems. Given that, how could they possibly make an informed decision about who to vote for in order to get the job done?

WE!!! THE PEOPLE!!! are the problem, i am one of them. Thankfully i see this finally. Now to make others see it .......

16. Why is it that all sorts of internet forums are being spammed by new users who complain about the real problem being the "2 party system."

Oh yeah, the democrats know they're going to get their ass handed to them and are using astroturing to try and surpress voter turnout.

The problem with the american government is simple. Liberals, progressives, and the democratic party. Only a return to authentic constitutional and conservative values can fix the problem.

Nice try at astroturfing though.

17. Well said, friend. Unfortunately some people believe the constitution is outdated.

18. #18 Eric111E, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
    One of the main problems I see with our government is all the social engineering going on. All these new groups that have emerged only conflict with one another. We need to meet a common ground to advance or be successful. These groups only tear each other apart. They are confusing us and breaking us apart. They are all meant to clash so we can never come to a solution. And I think our government is leaning on the Authoritarian side a litttle too hard

19. Ahahaahah, spoken like a true conservative! ahahaha.

Dems= bad guys, Repubs= good guys right?

Oh only if it were that simple!!:rolleyes:

20. #20 k.smith904, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
    "republicans are politicians with bad ideas, and democrats are politicians with no ideas."

VOTE 3RD PARTY!

Edit: For the record, I consider myself a conservative. If it wasn't for the crazy religious devotion and war-mongering, the GOP would provide a political agenda I wouldn't mind getting behind. Each party has their flaws, the libs more than anything though...