Do you think this is fair?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MPower420, Jul 21, 2009.

1. No, it is not fair. The construction company, though robbed of their property, obviously enjoyed what he had done. It shouldn't be up to the state to decide who should and shouldn't be punished. That should be left up to the victims. If the company wanted to press charges then, and only then, should the government have gotten involved. But since the company did not want to it should have been left alone.

Our criminal justice system is just another example of what happens when fascism takes over where freedom once thrived.

2. Agree^ I see no mention of creating a hazard so if the injured party should forgo prosecution the guy should walk. You know they dont want copycats with state stuff so they had to spank him otherwise the next guy who destroys signs would say "Dude, Its Art" ,and with some of these goofy judges, could get off.

3. Agree also...
    The cops and courts have better things to be doing than going after this artist..

Can you imagine driving along stoned or looking out your window after a night of smoke and seeing the barrell monster.. Freak out time me thinks...
    LOL...

4. I have to agree with everyone so far. Especially with that very last part haha I would trip the fuck outtt if I saw that thing, high, while driving through downtown.

Anyways, here's a blog about the "Barrel Monster". Anyone else wanna say he might be a fellow stoner? :)

The Dr. Frankenstein of the barrel monster has been punished by the angry mob.

When Joseph Carnevale chopped up three stolen orange and white traffic barrels from a construction site to create a massive sculpture of a roadside monster thumbing a ride, the North Carolina college student said he saw it as a form of street art. Police just saw vandalism.

They dismantled the 10-foot "barrel monster" and arrested Carnevale. Hundreds of online supporters want the charges dropped and the publicity has turned the history major and part-time construction worker into a local celebrity.
    Even the construction company has become a fan, and wants the 21-year-old to create a replica of the figure that led to his arrest on June 10.
    "It's surprising how many people have called attention to it," Carnevale said.
    The college junior hadn't spent much time planning when he set out the night of May 31 and snatched the barrels from the site near the North Carolina State University campus where he studies.
    "I had the idea in class that morning, and it kind of grew in my head, until it was something I had to do," he said./p>​
    [​IMG]He went back to his apartment and in an hour and a half returned to the site to assemble the freshly painted pieces before driving away.
    What emerged was a hulking figure that seemed to extend a thumb, seeking a ride from passing cars. The next morning police dismantled the creation and took the pieces in for evidence while they searched for the perpetrator.
    Although photos quickly spread on the Internet featuring the "barrel monster," it was an N.C. State newspaper article that offered enough clues to lead police to a Web site that identified Carnevale. Police charged him with larceny and destruction of property, both misdemeanors, and he's scheduled to appear in court next month.
    Carnevale, an Indianapolis native, prides himself on his street art, but said he's most interested in guerrilla photography -- making art and snapping images from restricted locations.
    "If you can break the rules, and no one knows they were broken in the first place, then there's no point," he said.​
    His apartment walls serve as a canvas, covered in various hues of paint, with images on the walls and doors of sharks, hollow skulls and even Gandhi. His 1997 Volkswagen Jetta is almost completely covered in hot-glued beer bottle caps.
    Hamlin Associates, the construction company whose barrels were turned into a monster, doesn't want to press charges.
    "We've had a fair amount of vandalism, but never anyone turn it into art," President Steven Hussey said. "I actually thought it was pretty neat."​
    Hussey said the value of the publicity his company has received is well above the $365 cost of the traffic barrels that Carnevale used.
    Carnevale said he's weighing Hussey's offer to reconstruct the monster for the company's offices in Climax, N.C., possibly for pay. Meanwhile, at least three Facebook support groups have formed to support Carnevale, including "Don't Charge Joseph Carnevale," boasting more than 800 members.

Police spokeswoman Laura Hourigan said the charges won't be dropped, despite the company's stance. And police are speaking with the District Attorney's office to investigate other street art by Carnevale, though she would not discuss details. Hourigan said Carnevale's Web site displayed photos of destroyed property.
    Carnevale said he's not sure what he'll do next, though he's interested in creating a T-Rex sculpture out of barrels.

5. Simply put, NO.

There are artists out there that nickel-and-dime their buyers for more than what their crappy art is worth and they get away with it because their work is 'legitimate'. Who's to say this isn't art?

It will probably cost less to replace the property than pay for a lawyer/court hearings and what-not. Besides, wouldn't most cities/counties pay for public art like this?

He should be sponsored or something - not sent as a community servant for contributing to his community...

Assholes! :mad:

6. where you live at in raleigh? Im assuming you go to state with him?

yeah, i read about that along time ago because when you live around the area its local news 14.

but the construction site said they'd even pay him for his monsters, he has done an alligator as well.

7. haha yeah, i live down toward garner/fuquay. i just recently got done with state, thank god :) and yep, "news 14 carolina"... i fuckin love'em haha production quality kinda sucks but i trust them more than i do the bigger cbs/nbc/abc/fox/cnn affiliates.

oh i saw the alligator, that was sick as hell! i heard he has a website but i couldnt find it. i found one with his name on it, it was def. some art site... but it said the site was unavailable. who knows.

if any of you guys are on facebook, search for the barrel monster and join the groups that come up. we all need to try and band together to keep this kid out of trouble.

8. I wouldn't worry about him.

1. He won't be charged with anything if he does his "50 hours" of community service.

2. He got great publicity from this if he is trying to become a career artist.

9. That's fucking bullshit!

He did a good job with the barrel monster. If I was them, I would of left it there and tribute it.

10. yeah dude very fair. I dig it.

11. How so?

12. The artist himself said he was cool with the punishment. If you commit acts like that, you should be aware of the consequences. The city might of gotten a laugh out of this but they also don't want this behavior to happen regularly. They need to do something in their minds. If he destroyed the barrels, he might get a fine or jailtime. The fact he made them into art makes it community service worth. So he gets a punishment but not a harsh one.

The only thing that may NOT make it fair is how the company does not want to press charges.

Regardless, the artist seemed cool with his punishment and wanted to do something great like habitat. It seems like a fair shake.

I also dig the art lol

13. Ahh gotcha, I agree. You're right though, it's not right that the company doesn't want to press charges yet the state/city is still pushing them. Then again, they need to make a point of him so copy-cats don't pop up every other week but it's still kinda fucked up.