DO YOU THINK IT'S TIME FOR US THE U.S. TO STOP SENDING FOREIGN AiD TO COUNTRIES ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chicken, Jul 6, 2009.

1. apparantlly we are in a ressesion....

yet we still send billions of dollars each year to foreign govs...

and what has changed in those countries due to our contributions ?

..we carry the bill for the u.n.
    and what do they do for the world ?

..we are fighting a bullshit war...for what?

..we are broke as a government because our so-called leaders think that they can spend thierselves into into a better world...

..why should we as a country starve so others can eat?

it makes no sense,:cool:

2. chicken: go take a political science class and you will understand.

3. i think we shouldnt anymore either but not because of the economy crisis but because of the fact that anytime we are asked for help or we help on our own will we're made out to be americans sticking our noses in others buisness where it doesnt belong...so thats why i say fuck em..

4. I don't agree but as least this guy seems to have thought out the situation

5. I think the point here is that America is NOT starving, and wont in the foreseeable future be starving on the same level as many, many third world countries.

Just because you were born an American, should that give you the human right to be able to live? And if you were born elsewhere, should that right be taken away?

I think if anything, America should increase aid.

When the world superpower stops aid to other countries, that's when you really know we've fucked up this world.

6. I agree, increasing aid is not going to solve all the problems. But it's not an either-or situation, is it? You can do both. i.e. attempt to fix how the aid is being used, at the same time as attempting to fix the cause of the problem itself.

7. Yeah stop sending aid to other countries. I'm sure we can find something to do with all that money back at home. Maybe spend the money on your own citizens?! What a crazy idea.

Help our your own citizens before citizens of other countries. We like to eat too.

8. That's entirely not true. I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of U.S. Citizens that are going without food, proper living conditions, etc.

9. #11 L Rag, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I can see where you're coming from.

But..can you see where they're coming from?

I mean basically, you could have been born where.. you have no money, no food, no opportunities, no family, nothing.

It's just compassion for others with less than us, man.

By "you" I just mean people in general, this isn't directed at you.

I said on the same level as some third world countries;
    For example Ethiopia. Americans are not starving like Ethiopians are starving.

I didn't mean to imply that Americans werent facing hardship.

10. Our aid never helps the poorest people in those countries anyways.

At the very least we should cut off their allowance until we get our own house in order.

11. If you eat up that spoon fed shit they give you in any poli sci class then you don't understand.

This "problem" shouldn't even need a debate because the answer is so obvious. It is not our governments money to dish out, it is ours. If I had all of the money I earned I can tell you that there would be a lot more charity in my name, and I only make $8.50 an hour.

You can't help people by giving them money. Giving them money only makes the products they need to live more expensive. Imagine a company that produces and distributes food. That company is taxed out their ass, so their food is more expensive. But wait, there's more! Not only is that company taxed, but the company who provides their oil and gas for distribution is taxed, which makes the oil more expensive. The company that manufactured the trucks for distribution was taxed, which makes the trucks more expensive. That company paid property tax for their farmland. They can't ship their food overseas without paying some sort of outrageous tariff.

Imagine, just imagine, how much cheaper that food could be if the government weren't already taking all of that money?

Oh, the evils of capitalism... Oh wait! Cheap food!

12. I think it could be scaled back to some extent, though definitely not all foreign aid abolished. A good portion of the world would see a significant drop in quality of living without it.

13. [​IMG]

The only recipient that really likes us is Israel anyways.

14. What evidence do you have to support that claim?

According to this site, from 1994 to 1997 we dished out $57,572,131,000 in foreign aid. If we use 6 billion for the number of people living in the world minus the 300 million US citizens we are left with 5.7 billion people, right? That averages out to about $10 a person over four years. Excuse me if I am mistaken, but I don't believe that $2.50 a year is going to give anyone a "significant" advantage, not to mention that they aren't even receiving that much because the more money we print out the less the money is worth.

15. Foreign aid isn't a matter of making countries like us, it's done to keep stable countries stable so it doesn't cost us in the long run. Foreign aid is a long term investment in piece, saying we should stop is just asking for problems.

16. U.S. Foreign Aid--Economic Assistance, by Region and Selected Countries statistics - USA Census numbers

That is funny, because the breakdown of foreign aid given in that link makes it look like we are giving money to the most westernized of foreign nations, not to the ones who need it most.

17. You're assuming that the money is passed out evenly to every person in the world. Like they get a check for $2.50 every year. the money goes to specific programs within countries to improve the quality of living in that country. The proof is in the pudding as they say, I think the burden of proof is on you.

18. fixed!

Read up on a whistle blower: John Perkins

America is a vessel.