Would Nixon have been impeached if Watergate had happened today?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 472633, Mar 28, 2013.

1. I say no Nixon would have easily gotten away with it. We live in an age where a president can murder American citizens with drones, lock people up at will and deny them a trial, and even sell guns to drug cartels without any repercussions. We live in an age where a president can lie about the reasons for a war that killed thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and there isn't even an attempt at an investigation by either party. Next to all I have listed and more, Watergate was childs play.

2. What were the main factors of his impeachment? Actual media attention?

3. Congress has slowly been more and.more corrupt. They wouldn't do it today.

4. Depends on what party and where the media tilted on the matter.

5. #5 Americandutchyz, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
    I agree 100%

Its funny because with all the media coverage we have with modern day technology, you'd think a lot more politicians (including the president) would be caught red handed at the slimey tactics they practice.. yet it seems like they just get away with more.

6. Probably not. Watergate in the same era when the Pentagon Papers were published on the front page of the New York Times. Now when the same thing happens in today's society, the media calls for the death of the person who leaked the information. The mainstream media is nothing but the mouthpieces for the republican and democratic parties. There's no accountability in government. I'd be willing to bet that there would be absolutely no investigation.

7. #7 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
    it depends if he was a republican it would get all kinds of media attention, and he would be impeached, if he was a democrat, it would get little to coverage, and he'd still be president...if he was third party, well he wouldnt be president anyways

edit: im talking about general news stations though, i wouldnt count fox, or cnn, or anything because they mostly if not absolute political networks

8. I was going to make the poll public but people don't like that around here. Instead of an anonymous public poll, they want an anonymous, anonymous poll. I don't get it since people already have anonymity using a username why would they be afraid to let their opinions be known? :confused:

9. ya...but lets cut the veneer away and get down to the dirty bits...

MONEY would determine the outcome...which verdict would make the wealthiest owners of DC politics, the most profit...;)

10. No. We would hear about some other hotly debated nonissue, or three weeks of some has-been celebs death/funeral. Maybe we would hear about Nixon's March Madness bracket. But definitely not the scandal.

11. I think the nature of information theft has change since the 1970's.

Just so everyone is on the same page, Nixon was impeached for his involvement with the organized 'bugging' and infiltration of the Democratic strategic offices inside the Watergate hotel. Funny side note, one of the only reasons he was actually caught was because he was so paranoid that his enemies would accuse him of covert/unethical meetings (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, etc), he began to record ALL of the oval office meetings (outside of "executive privilege", which had its precedent made during the Watergate trials) so no one could accuse him of any wrongdoing!

Back to the impeachment question.

I don't think information is kept today in the medium it was back then. Rather than physical files, everything is computerized; the medium has changed. I would suggest that today if information was stolen and surveillance conducted on the scale of Watergate, it would be much easier to deny. Hacking probably does happen quite often in the political world, but it is hard to trace and easily deniable.

I voted yes on this question because I do believe if a President ever was with certainty named to be involved in a modern Watergate (comprehensive hacking campaign) he would be impeached or resign.

12. thats weird, like you said, people already have anonymity throughout their username...its not liking their giving up a piece of crucial information that find out where their grow setup is.

13. Interesting... What do you think it says about American politics that a President can get a way with lying about the reasons behind a war. (GW and Iraq) but if they are caught bugging their rivals campaign headquarters thats considered serious impeach worthy shit. I really do not understand.

14. Just for clarification, Richard Nixon was not actually impeached - he resigned. Impeachment would have likely happened, had he not done so. I believe that the same would happen today, under similar circumstances.

15. Depends on the person, the story about John Edwards was ignored till the National Enquirer broke it then they covered it.
    If that had been any republican it would have been wall to wall coverage!