chuck hagel: reinstate the draft (2004)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hoboleader, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Chuck hagel who is nominated to be the next secretary of defense, called for reinstating the draft back during the iraq war.

Republican senator:Bring back the draft

2. If only we could've legalized abortion back then. His mom could've ended that mistake 66 years ago. Like we the people should pay for a war I'm sure practically none of us agree with.

3. you may be mis understanding him, he opposed the iraq war.

had supported the draft for shared sacrifice. shared sacrifice means more people will be war weary

4. Yup. Dyslexia damn!

5. Some people will tell you that it's his criticism of Israel that is more important, however I honestly think that supporting involuntary servitude is vastly more crucial.

Like I've said all along, he's mildly different from the rest of the neocons.

6. I only skimmed the article, tbh, but I remember when it happened. I took from it that the more people who had to pay the less support for war. Kinda like those who proposed a war tax. If people saw the cost come out of their paychecks they'd be less likely to support it.

Go one step further and say, 'Only people who support a policy, war or otherwise, have to pay the bill.', and watch all these fervent supporters of foreign wars, the war on drugs, the war on poverty, etc. drop their support like a hot potato.

7. It's WND, when they say pay the price, it's neocon speak for "I feel like everyone is morally obligated to serve in the wars we started, so I'll force them to".

Paying with forced servitude basically. Would expect nothing less from a republican.

8. I think it's a prerequisite to be blood thirsty to hold any position in a government.

9. He opposed it, yet voted for it, lol. He won't change anything at all. The US military empire will continue to expand regardless of who is the Secretary of War (I prefer the old name).

10. Yeah...defense is just jargon...lol

11. What this 2004 article from wnd obviously doesn't take into account is that since 2005 Hagel been arguing against the war in Iraq. He doesn't support bringing back the draft nor is the draft actually coming back anytime soon. American war makers are happy to have our wars fought by the lower classes and mercenaries. Were there a draft there some sizable organized opposition to our wars would surely form and the war makers definitely don't want that to happen.

He voted for the use of force in Iraq because he was lied to, like we all were and for the better part of the last eight years he's been firmly against it.

Hagel has been on a Apology Tour since just before Obama nominated him, ritualistically groveling before the Israel Lobby's servants and the neocons. In these recent acts of political self-flagellation he's had to repudiate most of what he's stood for. I do hope his public shaming is just simply him playing politics and he hasn't forever sworn off his support for a slightly more sane foreign policy.

But really I don't see him changing much if he is confirmed as War Secretary.

12. He's much more recently said that he supports the use of force, but only after "careful decision making".

What are we supposed to make of this? Force should be used to defend ourselves in the face of an attack.

13. I have no clue what he means. Such a statement is vague enough that it can mean several things. In light of his public humiliation in the stocks for his past positions he could just be playing politics with those words.

But it's clear he's not a non-interventionist or one who believes in force only for self-defense. Since Obama isn't going to nominate Justin Raimondo or Glenn Greenwald or Noam Chomsky for War Secretary I find Hagel to be mildly preferable to the other prospective candidates for the position because of his past of making some correct observations and voting for a somewhat less destructive foreign policy.

Though as I've alluded to, I don't believe Hagel would actually institute the sweeping changes we need nor would Obama nominate him unless he was certain that Hagel would tow the line.

14. New Push in US for Tougher Sanctions, War Threats Against Iran by Jim Lobe -- Antiwar.com

Ex-ambassador to Israel: U.S. will go to war with Iran in 2013 - CBS News

New Pentagon plan would cut ground forces by 100,000 | Fox News

just connect the dots, to see what im getting at here.

will be interesting to see how this plays out, just an unlikely theory though.

15. #15 hoboleader, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
    id also add that the defense secretary has the power to suspend a draft. So i assume they have the power to activate one if they are ordered to by congress.

Why do i care/why am I paying close attention to this? because im in the age range of 19-25, and ive received financial aid for college (meaning im registered and would be one of the first to be selected).

16. Have any siblings?

17. yes. and im also not religious. im just being a bit paranoid in an unserious way about it.

18. Do you even have to be religious to be a conscientious objector anymore? weird stuff. I was paranoid at one point because the Iraq war started pretty much right after I had to sign up for that. Even though there was no reason to be, just me being irrational.

I don't really think they take the youngest male though. That's what I am.

Or is it random, who knows. They don't even mess with only-children

19. the laws have changed since the vietnam era ended.

they dont take 18-19 year olds anymore, I think anyone can claim to be a conscientious objector, it only means they cant put you in a direct combat job. You had more of a reason to be paranoid then I do.

20. Hell, we thought we'd be in and out of Iraq, some horeshit bullshit that turned out to be.

Hopefully the draft will never make a return. Hopefully no one things like Chuck Hagel.

Probably when the Vietnam era people are gone, the draft will be so out there, no one would accept it.