5 Children die in drone strike in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Shipwreck, May 9, 2012.

1. :mad:
    US attack kills 5 Afghan kids - Salon.com
    "The American military claimed responsibility and expressed regret for an airstrike that mistakenly killed six members of a family in southwestern Afghanistan, Afghan and American military officials confirmed Monday.

The attack, which took place Friday night, was first revealed by the governor of Helmand Province, Muhammad Gulab Mangal, on Monday. His spokesman, Dawoud Ahmadi, said that after an investigation they had determined that a family home in the Sangin district had been attacked by mistake in the American airstrike, which was called in to respond to a Taliban attack. . . . The victims were the family's mother and five of her children, three girls and two boys, according to Afghan officials."

2. 10 more years...

3. It seems like every day I hear about a drone strike. Meanwhile all my buddies think I'm nuts for caring or being anti-drone or anti-war like its an uncomfortable idea.

4. Seems like you need some new friends... ;)

5. But, you see, those kids may have grown up to be terrorists. We should be thanking our great leader Obama for stopping them before they could blow up one of our airplanes, or a skyscraper, or a football stadium!

/sarcasm :rolleyes:

6. #6 FlyingSOLO, May 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
    no you should thank him for finding and killing Osama in less than 4 years

oh sorry, my condolences to the family.

7. Osama has been dead since like 2002

8. What kind of stupid response is that to the topic of this thread?

9. I don't support drone strikes in my neighborhood so I'm sure not going to support it in anyone else's.

This insanity has got to stop. :mad:

10. And damn sure if one of these kids fathers got (rightly) pissed off at the US for killing his children, and took some destructive action, he'd be a terrorist.
    On a jihad for Allah.

Not just fucking pissed off because we killed his fucking kids, no, he'd be a terrorist.

They were kids... fucking kids... Our government killed children. This is unacceptable.

11. Unimportant... gay marriage is the preeminent issue facing the world

[​IMG]

12. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YVpPqDGMyU]Laser pointer kids get shot by AC130 - YouTube[/ame]

13. I agree that this war has gone on for too long, but America would not have gone into Afghanistan in the first place if the Taliban had handed over bin laden to the United States, and stopped al qaeda, after 9/11.

14. And Al Qaeda would have never wanted to hit the US if they hadn't put their troops on the ground in a way that interfered with Osama's interests in the region.

Whats your point?

That its Osamas fault 5 kids were killed by American strikes after Osama has been killed?

15. Who was bin laden, the main person that we were supposed to structure all of our foreign policies in the Middle East by? I don't think so.

These recent deaths are the at least partially the fault of bin laden, al qaeda, and their taliban allies - they were responsible for 9/11, and al qaeda very clearly promised more actions against the United States after that day. We had to go in and stop them - whether we stayed there too long is hard to determine.

Maybe futher al qaeda attacks against New York, Washington, and possibly elsewhere in America woudn't have bothered you, but this was not acceptable to our nation.

16. #19 SouthrnSmoke, May 10, 2012

We had no right to act violently in the middle east, just as they have no right to send planes through our buildings. 9/11 is why we were warned against entangling alliances, particularly, military one's. You can structure voluntary trade between nations without having to structure it around Bin Laden. I'm not sure what your getting at? Foreign policy should be dominated by trade, not war.

The people this article mentions, didn't fly planes, or plan to fly planes, through our buildings.

Osama IS partially at fault, because he knew this is how we would react, that this was the ONLY way we would even consider reacting. He also knew it would be the bane of our nations existence.

Whats the sense in stopping one or two terrorists here or there when we inspire it in millions of others by killing their families?

17. #20 garrison68, May 10, 2012
    Bin laden was more than "partially" at fault, he was the cause of our entry into Afghanistan, a country that we helped during the Soviet occupation and provided millions a year in foreign aid to after that.

Sometimes violence is the only answer to rabid religious maniacs that try to take control of entire regions. The Taliban is one such group - and although I am in favor of us leaving ASAP, I predict that after we withdraw from Afghanistan, there will be more pain, bloodshed and savagery there, than if we had remained. And if they attack us again, as they did on 9/11, they should be nuked.