any one know about pruning ? please look at my photos and tell me what you think ?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by jungle jim, Aug 28, 2011.

1. ok, now this photo was taken the other day, it was pruned by a friend of mine, he cuts all the fan leaves off and every leave which has 5 or more fingers!!! the plant only last week started to flower so she has moved out of veg state, my spannish friend assure me it is for the best and i will get huge big budds as now the plant will put all its energy on making buds, im a little skeptic about his hacking up of my plants, but his plants are all 6 footers and phat and he has been growing here in Spain for 25 yrs, so he must know something, just seems a little drastic to cut all the leaves off,

it would be nice if i can have some other peoples opinion, on the butchering of my beautiful girls...

Attached Files:

2. Uumm... i donno, of what i recall the fan leaves works like a solar panel, and by clipping it of, the plant has much lesser surface for photosyntesis. The fan leaves also produce vital sugers the plant uses in bud production. Plus, if you snip off more than 50% of the foilage the plant will most likely die...

3. #3 oggestaden, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    Supercrop!!!!!!

4. well lets hope she dont die, im going to go and take a a photo soon and will post it up to see if there is a difference, well we will see this bloke will look like a complete cock if he is wrong and i will defanatly want compensation from his final crop, thats if my dies due to his cropping. i think its only fair, dont u... i mean if you let some one attact your plant because you belive they know what they are doing, and they kill your plants i think compo is right, any way i shouldnt speak negative

5. They shouldnt die. But the leaves have a major function for the plant. No leaves, no major functions going on. Also at the end the plant will sustain itself by feeding from the leaves. I am of the opinion that you dont cut ANYTHING that doesnt absolutely have to be cut.

6. Yup, but if that spanish dude been at this for 25 years he probably know what he's doing, though i belive thats not the best way... however, your plant will be very stressed after the "brutal" trimming so it would be stunted for a week or so, maybe 2, but it all depends on the strain really :)

7. Was he removing branches or just leaves? I wouldn't ever recommend trimming off healthy fan leaves. I've messed around with trimming fan leaves on some plants and leaving others along. The plants I trimmed didn't get as big of buds. It can be good to remove little branches that won't amount to much, but not just leaves IMO.

8. didn't manage to go visit my plants yesterday so i will have to go later today, he removed the small spindly branches right at the bottom saying that its a wait of the plants energy supplying the branches at teh bottom and by removing the two small branches you will give more energy to teh other bigger ones, which makes sense to me, will its going to be interesting to see how the budds turn out, if they are reallly nice big phat budds then i will be very happy , the strain is kc 36 btw !!!! they are ment to be short stocky plants with nice big buds,

9. Don't cut the leaves off! Look up pruning it re-direct the plants hormones causing it to grow a way you want or with more focus on a certain area. When you prune you cut branch tips off or bend them so more energy is direct to certain buds or areas. Never cut leaves unless they are more then half yellow or brown, they are needed for photosynthesis and for the plant to stay healthy. Also if you want the buds to receive more light try tying the plant loosely bent over on a stake or side of the pot so it grows more like a bush. Just be carefully not to tie too tight and cut off the plants water supply.

10. this is hepful, but in most cases it will not cut of the water supply if you accidently tie it to tight...

3 weeks ago i lstd my plant er single branch, i hadnt really been looking at where the string was to much foilege.. but i did and on 1 of them the string had acaully pushed into the stem.. well acauly its the stem growing around the string

took me a good 30 minutes to get it off but now it just looks like someone started to saw the stem but stoped all the way around

im thinking that itll heal up fast and get fat as fuck

11. what your friend has done was basically defoliarated your plant. there is sound theory behind doing this. what he has done was removed the fan leaves in order for light to be able to reach the branches and inner nodes which will in turn stimulate flower growth (they arent "buds" yet, they are flowers) from what i can see in the pictures this cat knows what he's doing and you should pay attention and listen to him. he has obviously left enough leaves for the plant to be able to continue photosynthesis, my suggestion would be to sit back and watch that bitch explode, because she will explode.

12. http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/895264-should-marijuana-leaves-trimmed-3.html

i have uploaded some more photos i think thye are in there 2nd week flower, but as you will see from the photos im very happy with them, unlike some people who feel that defoliating is not good...

also i will keep listering to this bloke, he knows what he is doing and just looking at his 7 foot plant which has been topped and has always been kept trimmed, he was saying the otherday infact that i should continue trimming at least 1 every 10 days, and i will.. :) ill up load a pic of his monster sexy plants some time soon