lollipoping ur plants

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by irishboy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. i was wondering if anyone has lollipop their plants? is it worth doing did it give u alot bigger top colas? if anyone has any pics i would like to see them. any kind of info would be great.

2. Could you elaborate on this lollipopping technique? I have never heard of it or maybe I have just being called something else.

3. how do you lollipop your plants??

4. cut all the big leafs off.

i tried it once and the plant died. i think it died from plant shock. anyways its sappose to let more light reach the bottom half of the plant so the flower on the lower nodes can get bigger. there is a better way for the light to reach if thats what ur goal is. just add a bar of cfls on the side so they run vertical not horizontal.

5. This seems to me like it would be pointless and do damage more then any thing. Marijuana leaves are beautiful let the plant decide when to shed its leaves.

6. Trim off dead or 50% yellow leaves. Leave the green ones alone. I'm not a fan of lollipop.

7. lolipopping is trimming off the lower 1/3 of the plant while in vegging about 1 week before flowering so that it focuses on the top 2/3 of the plant where the buds get the biggest. i have seen it done on this forum numerous times with great results. you basically loose those small popcorn buds that dont get big anyways and the plant uses the energy it woulda used to create them to focus on the top big buds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. give this Poster an A+. Dead on.

9. 2 things....

Thanks for the compliment

always RESEARCH do not listen too everybody on this forum. you asked about lolypoping your plant and got 2-3 different answers and choosing the wrong 1 will get you a dead plant choosing the right one will get you bigger buds. but how do you know if im right? with the internet nowadays all you have to do is goole "how to lollipop marijuana" and in the results it will let you know and im sure there are planty of grows in the journal section that have been lollipopped and are very beautiful. i really wouldnt do any lollipopping/trimming during flowering do it all atleast a week before you go 12/12 that way it has time to heal before you want it to produce buds.

10. It seems removing the leaves during veg would do more damage (a guess) Remember, those leaves are like solar panels, used to collect sunlight which the plant needs to properly process it's vitamins.

If I were to try lollipopping, I think I would wait till I switched to 12/12 to trim the leaves

11. really most leave the leaves on ...but take any growth that will branch out...which just happens to be the bottom third of the plant.

this method is mainly used in SoG grows so it allows for a couple of things in that style.

1. you only light up the part that can get the most light ( remember the canopy will limit light getting below it)

2. it allows for better air circulation inside your grow wich in turns makes for more denser buds.

look folks it is no difffrent then the argument that supercropping is bad for your plants. look if your too timid to cut and train your plants don't bother....what style you are comfortable with, will be the one style of training, pruning that gives you the best results.

personally I like to use combinations of training and pruning techniques.

topping/supercropping, for big plants, in big pots

and SoG/lollipoping, for little quick harvests, in gallon and below containers

peace and good luck

12. you are dead on bro. all it dose is re-direct hormons to the top of the plant to make ur tops get more hormons and get bigger because ur plant insnt working on the botton pop corn nugs. ive hade mix reviews that it gets more yeail, dosent get more yeaild or same yeild but bigger and more grade A bud. i havent seen any pics of this done so that why i made this thead just wanted to get feed back on somone who has done it and thinks its worth it or not? thanks!

13. A lot of plants would work well w/ the lolly. If we can get more people to lolly, we'd have fewer threads about 'airy popcorn buds' and what to do about them. Even after you top your plants, you can trim all the lil things at the bottom. Sea of Lollies. Like a village of pitchforks.

Damn, I wish a mob would come after me w/ burning pitchforks of weed...

14. I'm sold on the concept.

Old dog - new trick. :D

I have a stretched out grow in flower right now (bad timing on new light). I'm gonna get medieval on it tonight and see what's up. I'll lollipop half of them, maybe - a little experiment. ;)

15. I'd be very interested to see your results ;)

16. x2!!!

17. #18 El_Producto, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
    One week 12/12 ~Time to lollipop. I use this technique often.

18. so you top it and then lollipop it? nice pics

19. Yep.
    Thanks ib.