LST vs. FIM

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Hashmouf, Dec 10, 2007.

1. LST versus FIM: Where does your loyalty lie and why??????

2. those two things are completely different. LST is tying the plant down and FIM is cutting new growth off.

3. Perhaps he meant topping vs. fimming?

Iunno why you'd say versus... it's not really a one-or-the-other kinda thing.

4. Ok so how do you describe FIMMING exactly? cutting off new growth on a node to encourage two more nodes to grow from That area same as topping right???

If I am wrong please explain the actual purpose of FIMMING.

5. i don't like doing the fim or the top. it slows things down. a proper fim is done by cutting the top 2/3 of the new growth and can lead to as many as 8 tops. here's a pic of the fim.

6. wtf is going on here lately? pics don't load???????

7. Ok so the principle of fimming has the same effect as LST, basically by applying a cut instead of a tie, To even the main stalk with the side branches and produce multiple bud sites. Does anyone agree?

8. They both have very different results. fimming gives you more tops while in LST you just manipulate them to get even light spread. it would be better to compare LST and SGROG since they are more so the same. You can use a combination of LST and fimming with great results.

9. Thats Exactly the point of this thread why FIM when you can LST, Every plant I LST has 6 to 13 colas depending on strain and branching tendencies and each cola will be much larger than a cola formed by a FIM or TOP and the low stress produces a much healthier faster growing plant.

10. My definition of a cola is any large bud with at least three nodal structures enclosed by the bud formation or in simpler terms any bud that is over a solid 6 inches long.

I have pics of my last project with each plant bearing 5-6 colas at least the fucked up part is the resolution is to high and I am unable to upload on to the gallery! But I'm working on it, plus pics of my latest project soon to be posted, each of these have 5-6 main bud sites that will produce a cola on each.

11. If you want to post pictures on a bulletin board
    there are a couple of host sites you can use.

First go to google mail
    and register a fake email adress.

Then open an account @ photobucket, or grass city
    and upload you pics there,

Then you can copy the IMG file
    and paste it in the forum, to show your grow.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x140/earlon3rd/000_2039.jpg[/IMG
    (I left off the ] on the end, so you could see the code.)

If you add the ] then a picture will appear in the thread
    [IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x140/earlon3rd/000_2039.jpg

At grass citiy it is labelled the "BB code",
    it is still an img file that you can paste in your post.

I store all my pics in a private album at photobucket,
    instead of on my puter. It's free.

Grass city seems to load faster, free also.

A pictures says a thousand words.
    Show your grow.

12. I think I see what you are saying about fim and LST doing something along the lines of "the same thing", though I and most other growers would not see it that way.

Fimming is a lot like topping in that it causes what would have been the next node to grow out like separate tops rather than side branches, and depending on where your cut lands you could still end up with the main stem coming out of the middle, or possibly cutting through what would have been the next node as well, resulting in even more nodes that grow out like tops rather than like side branches.

When looked at this way, LST also causes the side branches to grow more as tops. But keep in mind that LST really is a technique about getting even lighting coverage to the whole plant.

Topping, fimming, and LST all trigger survival techniques of the plant to recover and keep growing if the top gets eaten (top/fim) or gets bent by an animal or a vine or something (LST).

Topping/fimming also has the effect of channeling more energy temporarily to secondary growth, so ultimately you do end up with more side branches.

Ultimately you will end up with more "tops", whether the major kind or the minor kind, if you include topping/fimming. LST will help to get more even lighting to the multitude of tops that you do have. Using both is the best way to maximize your yield.

13. Yes you have made an excellent point Toasty, But on a time line point of view would you not agree that the stress caused by cutting along with recovery time adds a substantial amount of veg time before you are able to flower? With on the other hand after a LST method is used the plant has repositioned its top towards the light with in hours and all side branches are now growing at the same rate as the top and the natural growth process was not interrupted to repair a wound and transfer needed nutrition and energy to the afflicted area, sometimes taking several days to recover.

But I understand everyone has their own style, I'm just not a big fan of cutting my plants unless I'm taking clones.

14. Yes Corey me too mee too! Oh the strain if you are from Cali you may be familiar with it but most people I know from outta state never heard of it, its called "GRAND DADDY PURPLE" and its the shit man real sweet grape flavor and aroma very dense and pricey too during a drought it sells for 450 an oz. And the song is called "Bleezies and Heem" by MAC DRE.

15. i agree that if you use both methods, then you get the best results. isnt LST just making the plant grow where you want it to grow? in order to get side branching colas dont you need to force the top of the plant below all the other side growth? i dont see how you can compare lst to topping and fimming when both methods go hand in hand with each other to get great results.

and i dont agree with how topping or fimming slows things down, it simply heals the wound and generates more side growth, doesnt just stop growing side growth while healing, so while it may slow new growth at the top it still promotes healthy side growth, doesnt it?

16. you dont have to bend it parallel, mine was twisted all up in dif places, i thoguht you just had to bring the top down, just the top below all other growing branches to make them colas, and yes doing that paralell around in a circle works great, mine side growth didnt actually start a boost in growth or even showing as tops untill i also topped and fimd the first cola on top of my plants. i was getting very very slow side growth untill i actually cut the tops, and right after about 48 hours, i had a big boost in side growth, so i know topping and fimming do promote side branching, thats y i think the choice would be to do both techniques, start lst then chop the top only once and geta good promotion to the side groth which is now becoming colas.

17. Everyone has own their way of doing things and that why I started this thread!

Its a very controversial topic in many circles I have had arguments with other growers and I have had complete agreement from others.

But the sharing of tactics is phenomenal and the theories are invigorating and who knows you may even learn something every now and then, So thats why I even bothered to propose the question of who chooses to do what and why.

So everyone feel free to continue stating your opinions and post picz if you got them. Thank you live long and smoke well.

18. After having read this thread, this is what I have come to understand of topping, fimming, and LST:

LST creates more "tops" by getting the light to more evenly hit the plant, causing the side branches to grow up and produce more. Fimming leaves some newest growth, essentially topping the very new growth. This removes 2 tops, but causes around 4-6 more tops grow. Topping cuts the stem below the new growth, removing 1 top and producing 2. Both methods require that the plant heal and redirect growth, negatively impacting time to maturity and size. Topping cuts off a (comparitively) great deal more plant, perhaps slowing plant growth to a greater extent than fimming. All techniques reduce the overall size of the main colas, but increases them in number and the amount of light hitting the plant, positively affecting yield overall.

LST > fimming > topping (in my mind, don't quote me on this)

When I set up my closet mid-February, I plan to do a side-by-side comparison of LST/FIM vs. LST/topping. I hypothesize that a heavy emphasis on LST, consistent fimming, and a healthy dose of topping and supercropping will nurture the best plant.

19. make sure to do one that is just lst with no topping or femming as well, that would solve the case basically.