I think I may have started lst too soon...

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by 4Medical, Nov 2, 2013.

1. I transplanted 6 seedlings to 5 gallon pots yesterday and started lst.  While searching around to find out the best time to top them, I'm starting to think I started lst too soon.  They're at 3rd nodes so far.  They're already turning back up to the light so I can use advice on what to do now.  I think I need to wait until after the 4th node before I top or fim, is that correct?  And what should I do while I'm waiting, just leave it alone until then and then start lst again?
    I plan to top 4 of them and try fim on 2.  Growing in a 4x4 tent w/1000w cool tube.  Thanks for any help.

2. Cannabis is extremely resilient, they'll pull through. You should let the plants rest a day or two after a transplant before continuing with your next project :) Why exactly are you lst'ing and topping/fiming at the same time? lst is used to control the growth of the plant so it doesn't waste valuable space, but it sounds like you have plenty room in your grow? You can top/fim at any point beyond the 3th node, you can do it multiple times, but remember to let them rest a little bit after every surgery.

3. Yeah, I planned to wait several days, both to let them rest and to get a little bit bigger.  But I found a good bottle of wine in the closet last night and so I'm just really glad I did it right.  :blink:  
    As far as the topping/fimming with lst, I've been reading so much on the different methods, also the scrog and sog, that maybe I have brain overload.  My first preference was just to lst but I got the idea that they should also be topped or fimmed when using lst, sog or scrog.  So I don't have to do either if I'm just going to lst?  If that's correct, then I'd be interested in trying the top/fim on just a couple of plants.  Just to see how they grow.  Bad idea?
    Thank you for the advice, I can't believe how much I'm learning on here. 

4. I top mine right past the second true node.  Then start a 4 way LST early and work the branches to the edge of my bucket and eventually spiral them around the rim.

IMG_5425-2.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg
    Almost ready to start LST.

IMG_5477.jpg
    Which becomes this.

IMG_5554.jpg
    and then this.

5. [quote name="4Medical" post="18922824" timestamp="1383413465"]Yeah, I planned to wait several days, both to let them rest and to get a little bit bigger. But I found a good bottle of wine in the closet last night and so I'm just really glad I did it right. :blink: As far as the topping/fimming with lst, I've been reading so much on the different methods, also the scrog and sog, that maybe I have brain overload. My first preference was just to lst but I got the idea that they should also be topped or fimmed when using lst, sog or scrog. So I don't have to do either if I'm just going to lst? If that's correct, then I'd be interested in trying the top/fim on just a couple of plants. Just to see how they grow. Bad idea?Thank you for the advice, I can't believe how much I'm learning on here. [/quote] bad idea? hell no its a great idea. the best way to learn training the plants is by doing it. experiment have fun they are real durable.MjSent from my SCH-I110 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Agreed, experiment and have fun. The plant will tell you when you have made a mistake. For example, I was messing around with super cropping techniques and one time I totally boffed it up. No big, so one branch looks like hell, live and learn. Some of the super growers look invincible and without fail but ask them how they learned. They learned by doing exactly what you are doing. Finally, if I may, with a 4x4, you can have a lot of fun depending on lighting and ventilation. Can you share what you have?