American Made.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by La Chimney, Jan 1, 2012.

1. After saving up enough money for what I hope will be a decent used car, my question to you is, "Why not get an American made car?" Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not racist, nor a crazy redneck patriot, I'm just curious. All these foreign cars, with the exception of VW, just seem like a lifesize hotwheel. Hopefully I'll be getting a Jeep, they look sexy.:D

2. Almost nothing is American made these days. More like American assembled. Look at the Dodge Charger. Engines are made in Mexico. Other parts made in Canada. And finally, it is all put together in Detroit.

3. Because, from an aesthetic standpoint, contemporary American-made automobiles pale in comparison to their European and Asian counterparts (in my opinion, of course)-with a few notable exceptions, I find American auto design to be uninspiring, superfluous, and/or ostentatious.

4. American car companies appeal to the general American demographic.

5. Unfortunately, the general American demographic is tasteless.

6. Oh, I agree 100%. The priorities your average American exhibits when looking for a car are skewed towards the excessive rather than the crucial.

7. The lifesize hotwheel analogy is completely true! The way I see it, with the exception of the GTR and a select few really cool/fast foreign cars, most will be forgotten come 40 years and nobody will give a shit. Most of the modern American cars are the same way, but I think there are more that are actually cool. And come on, who doesn't smile at the sound a V8 at wide open throttle?

8. Im a biker, so I ride and deal with bikes over cars. And in my general observance there is a strong "buy american" "buy Harley" like its gonna support your country.

I like Harley's but its a fact that the all american Harley Davidson company outsources most of its stuff. And all my Harley type of people hate on me cuz I ride a Honda now, but Honda employs more american workers than Harley.

I find that ironic that you buy an american motorcycle its built in Mexico or south america, and you buy a jap Honda "wannabe Harley" and most are made in Ohio by american workers....

Idk if this fits the analogy or not, but I bet the same sorta thing happens in the car industry.

9. American cars r shit unless your buying a truck

10. German Engineering > American Engineering

11. German engineering= electrical nightmares have fun with those cels

12. My Camaro is going strong. Would never touch a GM or Dodge truck. Ford all the way.

13. Ive heard terrible things about American (including canada of course) quality standards and control.
    Ive heard horror stories about certain ford factories where the workers are constantly drunk and high... Now im all for working high if you can do so but drunk (especially when theyre putting together a car) is unacceptable in my mind.

These are just rumors that ive heard though so i'd take them with a grain of salt.

14. Workers in any profession in America are drunk, high, whatever.

People are so jacked up on benzos and opiates from their prescriptions, someone working drunk or stoned really doesn't surprise me (and I worked stoned as fuck most times)

15. That was GM pre-bankruptcy. They've got their shit together nowadays and I'll likely only ever own a post-bankruptcy GM be it a car or HD diesel... never a light duty. Dodge is catching up supposedly, but I've never owned one so I can't really say. All I know is that my buddy's Ram and another's Challenger have had problems, bought new; Dodge transmissions are pretty shitty. I don't know jack about Ford cars other than the Mustang tranny sucks dick apparently, but their trucks have always been solid, at least from what I've owned and know of. Actually about to pick up an 06 F250 sometime soon.

16. [​IMG]

Have fun driving Jap Crap or American Unreliability. I'll stick with my European luxury brands

17. The word "truck" was at the end of that sentence. I should've clarified about Ford, but I meant their trucks. I'm a GM car guy, Ford truck guy.

18. Ahhh, that makes more sense :p

19. #20 VikingToker, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
    Germany: solid quality
    Italy: sleek and gorgeous
    Japan: intelligent and efficient
    Sweden: safe
    UK: james bond cars

American muscle cars: cooler than all that shit combined
    If I could afford one, I'd get an american muscle car. That has to be within your grasp!

edit: I mean, get a Norwegian car

[​IMG]

saving the environment and not getting laid