the SWISS CHEESE mod

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by viper2788, Jan 21, 2010.

1. http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/showthread.php/diy-swiss-cheese-mod-2779.html

so basically you can make holes in the bottom half of your stock air box to increase airflow. however, seeing how the top half contains the air filter, making holes on the bottom sort of defeats the purpose of having an air filter... does it not? i'd imagine it would let dust and particles into the engine... or does it not matter as much since the holes are on the bottom?

either way, i was going to do this to my air box for shits and giggles as soon as i get my short ram ordered... but in the meantime some opinions would be nice. :D

2. #2 SkunkWoodz, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
    uhhhhh that airbox pulls cleaned air from the top....

And that's not going to do anything at all. The flow is still restricted by the throttle body. Don't mess up your stock airbox.

Chances are it will decrease performance by pulling in more warm air from the engine bay, instead of cold air from inside the fender like it's set up stock.

That dude is an idiot.
    edit- he doesn't even claim to make more power, just goes to show that it didn't make a noticeable difference.

double edit- I just went through and looked at the actual thread that he made, lmao all they do is talk about how "cool" it sounds ahhahaha fuckin posers

3. Well said! Rep+

Yeah, that method would work on like an american 70's or older car or pickup, but that's what those cheesy chrome mr gasket ones are for!

4. hahaha yea everyone on that sites doin it... thread full of ricers.

you made some good points though, im totally convinced.

5. it doesnt take a mechanic to see this shit is strait dumb...don't fuck up your car like those super speed ricer...

6. You can take the "super speed" out of that title :D

7. lol you callin me dumb? to be honest, theoretically, i saw flaws and benefits at first... just for the sake of science. but yea improvements cost $$$!

8. Just buy a cold air intake..like the rest of you ricers. :)

9. Good thing i dont have a CAI or else i wuld be a ricer.

Really are you really going to label some one a ricer because they have a cold air intake. In my book that is a performance mod. Ricer= someone who takes a slow car and says they have all these mods done to them, thinks its so fast, when in reality it has a 10$ exhaust tip and is all stock, except for stickers from companies they never heard of.

10. WOW...definition of RICE ( cold air is NOT rice)

11. ehh i assume he was kidding..:)

12. RICE= Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements

13. I heard if you swiss cheese the body of your car with 4" to 5" inch holes its the same thing as a Stage 2 Weight reduction and makes you go like hella faster...

14. dude...seriously? most manufacturers are equipping cars with stock CAIs

as for the thread, i can see how this can help, but i agree partially with rotawee in that you'd be sucking in hot air, maybe if you made small holes on the side next to a hole in the fender then maybe it could be worth the 5 seconds of labor.

as for what rotawee said about the throttle body restricting the airflow, he's right, but also the airbox and restrict it way more if it has one of those baffles. K&N had a commercial a while back showing an F150's set up and it has a baffle, it looks like a growth coming off the main intake pipe.

AND while i'm here KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items! .... for your enjoyment pleasure

15. Or you could unlease some horses and a quicker off the line time by simple swiss cheesing the entire car. Take off all the door covers and boddy paneels and go happy with a hole saw taking out as much material without cutting holes into the cab. Every ppound you shedd off of that car the faster you will be.

16. ^ i wonder if that jokes still gonna be funny when its told the THIRD time..

17. your right about there wont be any gains from swiss cheesing your airbox just sound wise. But thats all my short ram does too. is increase the noise of my turbo spooling. I love the sound. Performance wise it doesnt do crap anyway. Cold Air straight into a hot turbo. big whoop

18. If the short ram is wider than stock going into the turbo you'll have gains.

19. cai will have different gains on different cars. it should actually be a good supplement to a turbo engine in terms of power increase and responsiveness.. and it should also get the turbo spooling faster

20. responsiveness yes, but basically its just a noise maker