Why don't people like athiests?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by rawrzzzz, Mar 31, 2011.

1. No! Atheists do not 'have faith' to come to the conclusion there is not any evidence to believe in any god.

Faith is belief without proof and it's merely a lack of proof that makes an atheist take his position, faith not involved.

We look at the evidence or lack thereof.

2. Is god something that you completely understand? Then what kind of God is this? Is God something you don't completely understand? Then why limit him, and cling to your lack of understanding?

3. so, are you saying then that it's possible for a person to bad, yet still be good in their hearts at crunch time like darth vader?

4. proof depends on evidence and some peoples evidence is purely subjective but consistent and meaningful enough to solidify their faith

5. Cool. So your saying, never seeing something, is the same as it not existing?

:wave: Nice logic bro. Think about it a little longer, perhaps see Agnostic, you may be wanting to adopt that title instead. Atheists do have a faith, that there is no God, Theists have Faith there is at least one God, Agnostic is we don't know as we have yet to perceive one and may never be able to unless they want to be perceived as we are stuck with third dimensional senses.

Smoke another.

6. It's arguable that there is no proof on either side but you can't prove a negative.
    On the religious side there is absolutely nothing to go off of.
    At least atheists say there is no god because there is nothing to prove it.

Is it logical to say that my phone can sprout wings?
    It's never done it and i don't see how it can.
    I can't prove it can't so does that mean i should believe it can?

7. Please tell me who is telling you to believe what :)

8. Your example doesn't compare with the discussion of a God..

But sure, if it helps you to see things clearly. As for me, I'm smart enough to know that most phones arn't implemented with parts organic, or not, that can grow them a pair of wings?

Inadequate comparison, sigh.

Faith is faith buddy, Atheist have faith Gods do not exist, thats the definition of Atheist.

9. i wouldn't call my former athiesm a "faith" in the lack of god at all. for me, it was simply a
    "these hypocrites and their book of contradictions are simply full of shit!".

it was just an evaluation of the facts at hand i had to work with and then when i learned about evolution, it just made so much more sense and as science has progressed, only continued to make MORE sense while christians get ever more insane and INVENT cration science, create militias & shoot abortion clinics etc.

when it comes to winning people over to their belief system, many christians are their own worst enemy not counting all of the OTHER enemies they live to define and band against. i think athiests in particular are targeted 1. because their lack of religious faith is a threat to their entire way of thinking and living and 2. because they're easy targets because they don't have a "faith" to justify fighting back from where someone else from another religion will be just as hard headed and brutal as them and fuck them up. no war is as brutal or vicious as one about religion. when it's about politics and economics, you just get drafted and it's a job most people hate, but when religion comes into play, it's personal.

10. ill tell ya why people dont like atheists. its because we live in the real world. and the believers want to try to "save" us. and we dont convert so they get all butt hurt about it cuz they dont get to us onto their list of "good deeds" for when they are at the gates of heaven to present to the door man.

seriously man they are all fake.every Sunday in their "good clothes" being nice to every one. then when monday comes around they are back to the rat race stepping over the little guys for their own gain cuz its "god's will" :mad:........fucking fakes man

11. #191 hazey grapes, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
    that's not true at all. don't project the actions of assholes on to EVERY believer. i've known many believers that just live their life right without bothering anyone. i have a sister who's done YEARS of volunteer work for the church and has NEVER brought religion up once with me and just recently, still thinking i was an athiest, complimented my intellect, honesty and GENERALLY good nature. she's out there feeding the hungry & adopting troubled children not to impress anyone, but as her promise to god. even when i still was an athiest, i totally respected her devotion without ever condescending to me.

like i've said before, the truly spiritual simply quietly do good deeds for their own sake while the fakes, and there are plenty out there, are simply in it for the power trip and those are the big mouth assholes you always hear berating you and make you think they represent all christians.

the same goes for muslims. i've known a couple that were really nice & honest people with caring hearts and not out to screw anyone over while another one i met hated my guts for being an athiest and always had a chip on his shoulder.

your beliefs aren't what define you as a person, your actions are. i'm not a christian and want nothing to do with "us & them" fakes, but have deep respect for missionaries that literally risk their lives to help others (how poseur is that?!) or amish & menonites who live simple technology free lives and would rather keep to themselves than berate anyone else.

that you would generalize that all religious people are the same is no different than the religious assholes you associate with all christians generalizing all athiests. see any irony there? oops! i just saw your avatar, you're on a whole other mission there.

12. People try to convert me many a time. They act like it's their duty to save me...

You use logic to debunk the notion of a phone growing wings.
    The thing is, you can't really use logic on something that we know absolutely nothing about.

The comparison seems about right to me. Something other-worldly isn't going to happen or exist as far as we know.
    It has never happened so why not assume it won't ever happen?

13. Just question them as I question people...see if they can even tell you what they "know." Don't come at this from the perspective that they're WRONG, though. Simply, see if they can even articulate what they actually believe, and be able to explain it upon questioning.

14. People don't like atheists because they're so god damn incessant that they know something. Just like theists.

So, to conclude, people don't like atheists because people don't like people.

So we either pretend we love each other and then talk shit behind each other's backs, or talk shit to each other and pretend to love each other behind each other's backs.

Let's be frank: the concept of something existing beyond a reference point within perception is central to our psyche and is as contrary to our existence as the white within the black within the yin and yang.

We don't know and we won't know, and people don't like atheists because they think they know.

But they don't. So I win. :bongin:

I me mine. Me me me.

Fap fap fap

15. I did this, only once though.

If evolution is false, how come fossils exist?

I forgot how she tried to disprove it but i think she said that since darwin was an atheist that made him wrong.

I was just like 0.0
    That was the point in the conversation where i gave up logic.

16. Well, if they are saying something COMPLETELY illogical, repeat what they just said back to them, and say if you think that that is logical and makes sense, then good for you :)

17. First underline; Yes, I did. Thats not to say phones may never get wings, my logic was that most modern phones don't have the ability to get wings. They must be built to support the wings, its biology, its robotology, its logical.

Bold; I have really nice logic to deal with what I don't know, that I have yet to witnesses it, so it has no dealings with me, its unimportant.

Second underline; because when it comes to God, its the same as the world or the universe ending. Its not something thats willy nilly, I am perfectly logical saying I do not know if this all will end, theres no evidence it will or won't, it just is.

What are you trying to prove? Theism and Atheism have faith, they HAVE to have faith, because they both make a claim that CANNOT be backed up.

None of this proving a negative bullshit, its WORTHLESS, your simply misunderstanding if you say something like that. There can be the Mothman, I have yet to see anything of it, so it doesn't pertain to me until I do. You feel me yet?

18. I've noticed that athiest act like everyone is attacking them, but then they attack others.
    That's just me being the observer though.

19. I'm too sober to debate with you.

You win this time ninja!

[​IMG]

20. #200 nnewkirk, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I've never felt attacked or persecuted once. I told my family when I was very young and we never argued about it. Every boss I ever had knew about it eventually and veer treated me any different. Some people ask me questions, most don't. I'm very confrontational and strong willed (bitch) so I assume that I either know my own mind on the subject or they don't give a shit. I've heard of other atheist having problems and knew a guy that almost sued the company he worked for over some shit, but honestly most of the atheist Ive met who have problems with it are usually cry babies or obnoxious.
    So a few of us do their thing without a hitch.