Tell me what you think about this, theists and nontheists alike

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Cali Ounces, Dec 10, 2008.

1. 1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
    2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
    3. When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
    4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
    5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
    6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
    7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
    8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    9. Do not harm little children.
    10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
    11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

Compared to. . .

1. You shall have no other gods before me.
    2. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven or on earth.
    3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
    4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
    5. Honour your father and mother.
    6. You shall not murder.
    7. You shall not commit adultery.
    8. You shall not steal.
    9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbour.
    10. You shall not covert your neighbour's house...wife...etc.

Now i want you to honestly tell me
    which of these sounds easier to live by?

Please only click the following links after you vote.

Set 1

Set 2

2. #2 Cos Mic, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008
    i reccognise where both are from before clicking... ;) already did this on another forum where we share how much we agree with them. i was up to about 60-80% in agreement with set1 there. depending on interpretation of course. about the same, maybe a little higher for set2. depending on interpretation.

ha. and folks think harmony is hard to achieve. lol.

i just think its worth considering all the potential outcomes from all those actions.
    biggest points of contention with set one are: "destroy him". "do not give your opinions unless you are asked" seems to suggest it is a doctrine which keeps folks in the dark as to what's going on. I'm much more in favour of the idea that through unfettered sharing of ideas and information (call them "opinions" if u like)we evolve and transcend much faster. it's got quite the seperationist vibe running through it, but quite comfortingly, it shows that just because someone ascribes to set1, doesnt mean they are a narcisistic psychopath (as is often touted to be the case reported in hearsay). but still... i can't see it leading to paradise for all, in itself, nor set 2 for that matter. frankly, they both suck!

i wonder what set 2 was like before it got converted into a top-down preachathon.

damn we really aught to "evolve ideas" if these are the only options we're presented with. i think i might prefer it if we had as many sets as sentient life forms. where's set 3 damnit!? :D:D

edit-
    o woops, i just realised, u asked which was easier, not which yeileded the better outcome... hmmm... if you have a weak will or short term forsight, set 1 is easier, but it wont bring you ease. its the easy way out that'll likely bring you trouble later. as far as i see it. both seem pretty easy for those who have a easy time of betraying their authentic selves.

3. #3 Perpetual Burn, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2008
    When was it not a "preachathon"?

Of course it's easier for the individual to follow set one (minus destroying people, haha)... but as a society we'd be much better off following set two... well, the Golden Rule anyway.

4. When I think about ethics, I usually don't take into consideration the ease of it. Something is right or wrong no matter what. So I don't think can answer your question, because those sets are not meant to be measured by easiness. At least in my opinion.

5. I voted for set one. I certainly wouldn't consider myself a satanist and I am far from it, I just don't believe in some of those..."rules" that "god" set for us.

6. Couldnt "easier" mean that its less morally or ethically objecting to your views than the other?

:)

7. #7 Perpetual Burn, Dec 10, 2008
    Is that the question you are trying to ask?

Either way, I'm going with set two.

What problems do people have with set two, either than the first rule? I could also see how "remembering the Sabbath" could be an issue for some people... but "keeping it holy" could mean anything... such as simply giving thanks for your blessings. Other than those two, the second list of rules are all derivatives of The Golden Rule... which is perfect, albeit difficult to follow.

Do any of you guys reject the Golden Rule completely? Do any of you not even try to follow it?

8. #8 Dr.Dankmen, Dec 10, 2008
    i hate the fact that there is a church of satan, where what you do is supposed to be refined down to stuff like set 1. of course i dont lik any church, but still. so many peeps will paint themselves into a corner, and go on as if they hadnt, and finish painting the room so they are completely fucked and have to live with the foot prints or repaint the room. those people will not ask for advice in some areas of there life, no matterr how hard that part is for them. givin advice in some cases works for the better, i mean its all about refining your technique.

also with set two i agree to all of it, cept anything referring to a higher power, id rather live without guessing its existance. set two gives you actual free will. set oone doesnt really.

but still i wish we could not have those labeled christian laws.

9. Any objection to my ethical stance is an objection. I shall treat it as such, no matter the easiness with which I could morph my ethics into fit with the new proposal. If I understand you correctly, if I agree with set 1 six out of 10 times, and set 2 four out of ten times, I should go with set 1. It's still asking you to compromise your ethical stance into agreeing to certain thing you find unethical.