Life by Thought

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by YesImHiGh23, May 31, 2008.

1. I believe that our existence is defined by our thoughts not our actual human body. I say this because an idea can/will live forever. so, if we live for our thoughts can we "become" our thoughts(like a dream) and live forever?

2. indeed. each lives in his/her own personal reality, where thoughts rule and manifest into the physical.

3. i agree somewhat with the first sentence but.. how does an idea live forever?? an idea kept inside somebodies head dies when that person dies, unless he had shared it with others.

so.. i agree that if you live for your thoughts, in your own mind you can "become" your thoughts

i'm pretty sure people with certain psychological problems live in their own thoughts and fantasies but the difference is that their physical bodies allow them to do so (through whatever it is genetically that gives them that psychological difference)

for most people their bodies/minds do not allow them to litteraly believe or 'become' part of their thoughts as if it were reality 24/7 because they have the ability to distuingish the two

and i don't understand the live forever part

4. consiousness is 'immortal'.

i dont understand why its a psychological problem(unless youre hurting people) to live in youre own reality. everyone does anyway, opinion is proof of that. there is no ONE reality, it is what YOU make it. do you really think its a problem, or have you been trained to think that way?

5. yes consicious thought is, going by law of physics, always constant. I do believe we have higher forms of consciousness though and the mind that most people are working through can only take some so far and further more they advance to "higher thinking", that is consciousness through your higer-self.

6. prove it - in your own words of your own understanding

i didn't say to live in your own reality, i said thoughts.. and that's where it becomes a problem because people without psychological problems are aware of the 'source' of their thoughts (their own mind) whereas some people's thoughts truly become their reality, including hallucinations (audio and visual)

what i'm trying to say is, the average persons mind could never manifest their thoughts into reality in the way, say, somebody with severe alzhemiers has their thoughts manifest into reality -- because they are unaware of the source of their thoughts which is the difference

you can't force yourself to believe something that you know are thoughts and fantasies created in your own mind

7. thoughts and fantasies? i like how you act like thoughts and fantasies arent responsible for the world we live in. why are you talking about the mind like its full of shit?
    thoughts become everyones reality, weather youre aware of it or not, your thoughts are what shape your life...opinions, desicions.

one who is aware that they make reality, realizes that they are god. patience young grass hopper, patience and you shall learn ;)
    i am considered 'average' by society, and am well aware of my thoughts manifesting into my life, and the source. ME. btw, why force the truth? there is no forcing a reality. your opinions and way of looking at life are automatically what shape your reality off the bat. imagine if a bunch of really rich Jews had the money to buy all the media outlets, and shape each generations opinions and pov's...oh wait. they did.

EDIT: what lead you to believe that it was not in my own words when i said consiousness is immortal? is it possible to explain it anymore?

8. the difference is your reality, and almost everybody elses reality is interpreted off the same 'world' i.e we all make our own interpretations but on the same things i.e politics/morals/the environment, whereas a select few people make interpretations on reality solely off the thoughts in their head - which IMO is what the term 'life by thought' can only be to a full degree

i could be thinking about being in a jungle right now but my mind doesn't allow me to truly believe i'm there in the jungle, and i know from experience that some people with mental problems can be extremely disoriented and not have any idea where they are to the point that they believe whatever is going on in their brain

my reality is whatever my mind percieves life as based on the external environment that i am i.e the world, that's not living by thought, thats living by external influences

you said consciousness is immortal, so show me what makes you believe that

9. as if infinity can be measured and proven :rolleyes:
    the reason i believe that is because i believe that the unified consiousness is 'God', the Creator, and each consiousness is a different POV of 'God'. so YOU are god. just as much as i am.

while i get what youre saying, the 'reality' thing only exists to a certain extent. sure theres a bunch of things we all agree on and things we disagree on. the jungle thing is kind of blowing it out of proportion, but take this as an example. if aware of the laws of attraction, one can use them to his/her advantage. if i always think about good things happening they will. kind of like a karma thing, except its scientifically plausible. like attracts like. i live in a reality where i believe Satan created the human form, there is a conspiracy for control against humanity by people who will deliver us into the hands of the Anunaki, we are in a dimensional prison created by them to keep us limited and confused. i give off positive vibes as much as i can, or feel necessary and almost always recieve positive vibes back. bet its a bit different from youre reality eh?

also what makes you so sure you live in an external enviornment? your senses? lol. if it was all in your head this conversation would be a little different wouldnt it? or is it all in your head. everything. internal enviornment?

check this out. (its not 'fact' but neither is reality)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AqnEGu8VF8Y&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AqnEGu8VF8Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

10. i think thoughts go on forever because thoughts are nothing more than energy, energy can't be created or destroyed, so what i think happens is you think a thought, and it just echoes forever.

like this..

your thought is a rock..infinity is a pool of water..by thinking you throw a rock and send ripples through the water that do not end. or maybe they do, who knows.

11. </P>
    Thats some really interesting shit, ive watched that video about 3 times and it really makes you think about perception and your conciousness. It shows how your actually completely unaware of what is actually occuring in your existance. Like you not being in the room but the room is actually surrounding you. Its the way you view things as if your the center of it. Every human does it though and probobly always will.

12. OK so is that video real or just in my head....like what the fuck, the video being watched is sort of contradicting what the video is about, no? please put me (my mind) in the right place if I'm not getting it.

Question......when on 'cid what of the world then is it just our brain reading the eletrical signals a diffrent way or is it that the drug gives us the ability to view the eltrical signal that we could not view, does it give us ACID's point of view or are we creating it with our imagnation?

13. I believe 100% in karma.

I also think that there is many layers to the reality we live. Thoughts are part of one of those layers.
    Like has been said though.. I think each person lives his own personal reality. Like how you can make a movie.. but every TV/dvd player will be different.

14. Eh.. it isn't saying that reality really is false. But rather we cannot know 100%. Our perceptions put so many limitations out there so that we can't be 100% sure if this is actually "real" or not. Basically.. if our mind was actually fucking with us and sending all these signals through.. we wouldn't know. We would still be 100% in this "real" world.

MATRIX MOTHER FUCKERS!!

Grab your tight leather suits we'z gonna dodge sum bullets!

fuck in drunk n high as hell.. I need to be doin something else.. I'm goin on a walk lolll

edit: the church up the road has a mcdonalds playpen.. I'm gonna go slide in that shit!
    20 years old and I'm still doin this shit..

15. can anyone prove that reality isn't anything other than a fantasy we share?

or - if they are different - where would we draw the line?

16. there is a generalized reality that we all share, yet equally have the power to alter even through thought. what is the 'transmitor' that allows us to share the matrix?

[​IMG]

EDIT: not sure about cid, but any alter in consiousness gives us a new way to percieve things and expand what we know.

17. Damn, where is Neo when I need him?

18. The One is within you.

:laughing:

19. i like the fake sarcasm, lol.

20. God damn, it's always a hockey fight on these boards. haha

Anyways, to answer the question at hand, about the immortality of consciousness, I'd have to agree- existence is only a one way track as far as we know, but even with it's mortal downfalls, thought exists within the individual on an infinite track. It only ends when the "viewer" ends, since there is no one else to see this reality interpreted, and the avatar of these visions is now dead, it proves wholly that thought ends only as far as thoughts exist for the individual. The existence of such can not be negated in any material sense, as it's existence through a singular lens, and thus immortal to the individual.

It really depends on how you relate "forever" with the environment around the individual, and whether or not it is considered "reality" to begin with. Thoughts themselves are just really complex associations and instincts more sharply defined, into actions, ideas, reactions, etc. In that regard, it is completely credible to assume that humans on the whole are not thinking in the way that we think we are thinking. We could very well just be on the natural cycle of destruction by over complicating our thought processes and technology surrounding it. Laptops and personal computers display these very aspects on a daily basis, simplified and redefined through circuitry of it's own. So then who's to say that not every process of man, machine, plants and animals are not thought processes configured by Darwinian blueprints? Thought itself could ultimately be the only real key to experiencing existence. Imagine being blind, deaf and dumb, walking head down with no thought. Maybe we're doing it right now, and can't even notice. :)