Solipsism

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by JesusC, Feb 9, 2008.

1. I find this concept very interesting.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

It actually makes sense of my opinion that the Universe does not, or cannot exist without something to recognize it....but takes the idea a few steps further.

I would actually like to discuss this concept in depth, but id like to see what some of youre opinions are first?

2. Solipsism (Latin: solus, alone + ipse, self) is the philosophical idea that "My mind is the only thing that I know exists." Solipsism is an epistemological or metaphysical position that knowledge of anything outside the mind is unjustified. The external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist. In the history of philosophy, solipsism has served as a skeptical hypothesis.

Denial of the materialist existence, in itself, is not enough to be a solipsist. Possibly the most controversial feature of the solipsistic world view is the denial of the existence of other minds. We can never directly know another's mental stability. Qualia, or personal experience, is private and incorrigible. Another person's experience can be known only by analogy.

"For the enlightened, all that exists is nothing but the Self, so how could any suffering or delusion continue for those who know this oneness?" Isha

3. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but was David Hume the major proponent of Solipsism?

While I put all my eggs in the scientific basket where experimentation is the only real knowledge we can have, I still cannot say it is true and infallible. There is just no way to prove that there isn't some mischievous demon fabricating everything and I am nothing but my mind.

The best we can do is say that these scientific theories have never been proven wrong, therefore until an error, or a more accurate theory is found we will assume they are correct. But to go out on a limb and say they are then end all of a description of the universe is tantamount to great scientists of the late 19th century claiming the laws of physics are essentially complete. Less than a decade later relativity and quantum mechanics emerged.

Even the great genius Einstein refused to believe in quantum mechanics, or even some aspects of his own general relativity. He was wrong and the same fate may await todays best minds and theories.

That is what they are, todays BEST theories until a better one is found.

4. That's very true... there isn't a single theory in the history of science that hasn't undergone extensive adaptation to new discoveries and knowledge that we had never previously considered. Nothing should be accepted as set in stone, but simply considered the best logical conclusions our limited/flawed human brains have so far capable of making. We each individually know that we exist, but everything else could of course simply be an illusion.

5. I wouldnt go that far...

I know that I exist....thats all I really know. Whatever "I" means I cant really say, but here I am in this body, watching life happen right in front of me like a movie...only difference is that I can interact with it.

Solipsism suggests (if im understanding it right) that the things I am interacting with are nothing more than bits and pieces of my own mind, that nothing exists externally from my own mind.

You may exist as an individual, but I can never be sure that you arent anything more than a fabrication of my own mind....or anything else for that matter. For all I know, you could be part of a (for lack of a better term) "program" that is created by me, and intended only for me. By intereacting with different things and different people, im simply interacting with another aspect of myself. This entire Universe may be nothing more than my own creation, yet im not even aware of it.

However, theres really nothing scientific about this idea whatsoever. There is nothing that can be studied or tested to prove this theory one way or another. At the sametime, this idea of singularity...the idea of one mind, it really appeals to me.

Getting off track a bit, how fucking cool is it that we live in a Universe where ideas like this can actually be considered to be true in one form or another, or even the fact that we can entertain ideas such as these. This place is so crazy that you really cant discount anything.

If I could give advice to anyone about the Universe/existence it would be this: Dont simplify it.

There really is no greater "gift" than life - especially once you begin to realize that there is much more to it than meets the eye.

6. That's basically what I was trying to say...

7. I got that:smoking: I'm just sayin that when it comes to solipsism, you cant really say what each individual "knows"....all you know is what you know. The "individual" outside of yourself doesnt really exist.

8. Gotcha.... damn that's trippy. :smoking:

9. I'd like to be clear on this. Does solipsism claim there is nothing but your own mind, or does it claim that there is the possibility of nothing but your own mind?

10. I believe solipsism denies the existence of other minds.....the only mind that really exists is yours. Everything else is just an extension of your own mind.

In other words, In your world I dont actually exist as an individual...I exist as a part of you and your mind. In a sense, I am you. The communication that two people are seemingly having (both you and I) is actually a communication within the different parts of your own mind.

Of course, from my viewpoint you are only an extension of myself...if I buy into this theory. Nothing exists outside of my own mind. Solipsism is about singularity, its about one mind and one mind only.

The concept is actually quite trippy....but it does make some sense.

However, by no means am I saying I actually believe this theory to be true....im just saying that its another way to look at things.

11. Isn't solipsism practically just another name for nihilism?