Why is it that intelligent people seem to have superior spelling/grammatical skills?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by RawStoner, Mar 31, 2013.

1. #1 RawStoner, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
    Years ago, I remember reading a psychology article that showed a strong correlation between the vocabulary of a person and their IQ. Apparently, according to this article anyway, verbose = more intelligence capability (not necessarily that the person WAS more intelligent.) Intelligence Quotient (IQ) is more so a measure of intelligence-potential rather than your actual intelligence. If you have $100,000 in the bank, it doesn't mean you're going to spend all 100K and it also doesn't guarantee that you won't blow it on stupid shit like hookers and blow.

It's been my experience that intelligent people are generally able to communicate more efficiently and effectively than the average joe.

Whereas average joe would say: I went to the store and bought milk. The cashier was slow.

Supposedly-intellectual joe would say the same thing fundamentally, but be more descriptive and use polysyllabic words. My journey to the grocery store was rather dull and once I arrived there, I skipped merrily to the dairy aisle, where I found my favorite brand of milk. The cashier was somewhat lackluster in her bagging abilities and it took her a considerable amount of time to check out the milk I purchased."
    That was probably a bit verbose, but you get the gist.

Personally, I agree with that claim. Every intelligent person (intelligent to me) has been able to describe X experience better than any average joe could describe X. There are very few exceptions to this "rule" that I've seen.

This carries over into various mediums of communication, besides just spoken word. Generally speaking, when intelligent people write something, the quality of the writing is superior as well. "Superior" translates to: better speling, better grammers, and more descriptive/accurate language.

2. I understand the correlation but I fail to see your point.

3. Im one of those people, that speaks like an average joe.. lol im definitely not intellectual :D im barely literate

4. #4 kayakush, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
    the smart people talk smart and the dumb ones talk dumb, as grammar goes....doesnt mean u have to be intelligent talk right......

5. Lol

Sorry

6. i fixed it, i m dumb

7. Refer to topic title.

Do you think that good spelling/grammatical skills are a good indicator of intelligence?

8. IMO, good writing means not using junk, filler words. Anybody can ramble on, using all sorts of adjectives, but does that necessarily capture the reader's attention? If Joe's trip to the grocery store was not relevant to the overall story, then its description shouldn't be more than one sentence.

Make it short, to the point, and avoid using long words that the average person might have difficulty with. Include all necessary information, but nothing more. Keep the story moving.

9. "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should be."

10. "The sign of intelligence is that you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life." -- Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev

11. "The limits of my language mean the limits of my world."

“Language is the dress of thought.”

12. Why are people getting a hard on over which has the highest IQ level? This seems to be constant upbringing on this forum lately.

To be clear the premise of most English classes is to teach you how to write proper grammar & spelling and how to structure them correctly; a lot of English professors are hard asses because their eyes are like automatic sensor rays that detect the littlest subtle clues that make a difference in your writing such as when to end a paragraph or start a new one, restraining yourself from making run-on sentences, making your sentence sound clear and concise instead leading them into a hitch ( a hitch is when the sentences don't go anywhere).

But seriously though, why be narrow minded if the person doesn't have access to higher education, does it mean that they're incomprehensible and incapable? No it's because of the environment that they are in that hinders it but that's why you teach them like a protege does to a master.

To quote Fizzly's quote, isn't that what curiosity is?

13. Who the hell do you know that says stuff like they skipped merrily to the dairy aisle?

14. Upbeat people such as Bugs Bunny girlfriend.

[​IMG]

15. While I understand your point and agree with it to a certain degree, I also find something loathing others who can't seem to grasp the vernacular. I enjoy discovering new words and incorporating them into my vocabulary. It's actually kind of a hobby of mine. I'm not saying everyone should do that, but I also think that people should know the difference between "their" and "there."

It's also interesting to see how technology has changed language. People text "u" instead of "you" or "ttyl" instead of "talk to you later."

16. Some people for some reason think it's pseudo and pretentious but how so, I look into the dictionary and explore into the deep sea of words, it isn't as hard as an task plus its only sounds pseudo if the person doesn't know what they're talking about. "Their and There", "Were, We're" and Where" people make mistakes all the time, but just correct them lightly in a non-dismissive way.

17. I don't do dislike it on a count of being pretentious. Rather, it's more along the lines of just following what I know. Isn't that part of being educated?

18. #18 lilro, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
    I read somewhere that intelligence is determined by the ability to recognize patterns. That is the definition I've been going by. So it makes sense that an intelligent person would have superior grammatical skills. A lot of the time, I can recognize if a word "looks right", and that aids in my spelling. Also, if I know what a word means, and how it sounds, I can usually figure out how to spell it using basic etymology/English language.

19. Goddamnit, I just fapped to a fucking rabbit...

20. many of the greatest minds throughout history were dyslexic, your argument is invalid.