Is there such thing as a selfless act?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by AhToker, Jan 17, 2013.

1. I gave 1 example and I know that it obv doesn't reflect every possibility out there but it's hard to prove this obv. Unless studies have been made to prove that every humans decision making is based on him/herself through I don't know what process lol ( not a shrink ) .

I'll throw another example I read while I was ripped last night, the touchy subject of diving for a bullet for your loved on. I'm thinking of this objectively, personally I would Dive for my gf just bc I think her life is more valuable then mine and I would feel like a coward for the rest of my life if I didn't. The guy who doesn't dive just doesn't feel the need to sacrifice his life and that's fine.

Based on how we think, we're always gonna make the move that is better for ourselves and our moral heath even if it means dying in this case.

2. I was just replying to what he had said. He said it was selfish because you were dying for your own purposes. I see where you guys are coming from on this; if you die for another person you are making the decision that you will give your life so that they can continue living. So in a sense you are acting for yourself by wanting them to continue living, but at the same time you are sacrificing the "self" that is implied in selfish/selfless. So it really is a tough question; does the desire to save another at the expense of your own "self" constitute a selfish act, or a selfless act? To me it appears to be both, but i suppose you could look at the desire itself as being an act for the self, and therefor selfish.

3. No. Everything we do is a 'means' for an 'end'.

4. So you are doing it for the good of humanity, which you are a part of? Still selfish.

5. I disagree.

I think there is a major difference between sacrificing yourself institutionally and "really wanting to do it." And it satisfies no urge or desire, especially when done in the heat of the moment.

As a married man I will say I would give my life for my family. But I'm not hoping to. I do not want to. It is simply what I know I would do. It's an obligation driven by instinct.

6. Exactly.

Like he said in the heat of the moment you don't want to but you do anyway. How is it selfish to die for another. Oh it's because you filled that desire to save them therefore it's selfish. Makes no sense to me. No body desires to die. And why would you fulfill your desire if it got you killed and you could no longer have any more wants. That's not the action of a selfish person.

I'm not married, but I too would give myself to save my family. Not because i want to or because I desire to die, but because its just the kind of person I am.

7. " I do not want to. It is simply what I know I would do. It's an obligation driven by instinct"

You don't want to be put in that situation of sacrificing yourself but if it happens, you Want to protect yourself. Sacrificing yourself for your family is more satisfying then seeing them get hurt. Even though none of them are good in this situation, you want to fulfill your duties as a protector because that is the kind of person you are.

8. You are assuming you have time to think in a life threatening situation. I'm talking about instincts taking over in the heat of the moment.

9. I understand it's based on instinct but you admitted already you would sacrifice yourself to save

10. Be honest would you take a bullet for somebody your age that you don't know? If yes kudos to you, and would love to be your friend :p
    If no your instinct would be to gtfo of that situation why? Bc u don't want to die, or u want to live.

11. I already said I want to live. And that the instinct to protect family is not a choice, it is instinct.

12. Of course, this is all supposition, as nobody can really say what they'd do in such a situation. These things are only what you imagine you would do. Until such an event occurs (may it never do so) that is when you will know exactly what you'd do. In fact, not even then, as you would just be doing whatever you felt to do. Afterwards you would realise what you did or didn't do, and perhaps understand why it was that you did or didn't do what you thought you would.

13. I assume a split-second, instinctual reaction is going to either be fight or flight. I know that parental instincts may apply, but its all hearsay when it comes to what one's instinctual reaction would be.

14. #54 desuforeverlulz, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
    Your wish is to not die but your desire is to protect them. What causes the desire? What are instincts? The ego compels the person to act. It all comes down to satisfaction of something that lies within you, therefore it is satisfactory to your reality. If you let them die, you would have to live with your choice, and you would be dissatisfied with your decision. Maybe years from that you may change the way you feel because you've moved on, but at that point in time, you want to die. Sacrificing something because there is too great an opportunity cost is a tactical decision. Self sacrifice is no different.

In other words a tough decision is still a decision you have to make. Sacrificing yourself is your choice that you decided. Answer the question why, and then tell me that it has nothing to do with selfishness.

15. If you really wanted to live you wouldn't protect your family. The want of 'protecting your family' surpasses your want of 'living longer'.