Is there such thing as a selfless act?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by AhToker, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Self-sacrifice was brought up. What about that?

2. If youre doing a selfless act you probably wouldnt know it cuz there would be no 'self' to know it.

3. A interesting concept. But we cannot remove the consciousness required to "act"
    in the physical. So when the term "selfless" is tested against itself like you have done questions whether the term can really exist in a practical sense. A more accurate description maybe a "unselfish" act.

4. If you put yourself in mortal danger to save a stranger with no hopes of fame, heaven or glory...that would be a selflesss act.

5. Its a nice description but still thinks its inaccurate when the reasoning behind the motivation to act is broken down and considered. eg: "feeling responsible" enough to put your own life in danger to help another. The "feeling responsible" requires a conscious sense of "self" awareness and further questions can be asked as to why a person feels responsible enough to do so. They may not appear obvious on the surface but there always is underlying motivators to act in any manner. Im not trying to undermine any scenario of bravery or a action that displays a greater concern of someones safety over our own etc Im just questioning the term "itself" :smoking:

6. Yes but if you're saving someone else's life that's different. It's considered selfish because you're making yourself die for your own purposes. Maybe if the person doing the life saving was suicidal, that might be an exception... I don't know. Tricky topic.

7. What part of sacrificing your own life for that of another is "for your own purposes"? Unless were talking a pre-meditated type scenario.

8. The logic behind whether a "selfless" act is possible is not as simple as is it " for your own purposes" if not = "selfless"

The original question asks Is there such thing as a selfless act? the key terms that needs to be defined before even considering any scenario is "selfless act" Is it possible to act with no sense of self ?

No, any action in the above context in particular requires a degree of conscious effort.

In past tense can a persons actions be described as "selfless" ?

No because (a) see above (b) Even the most ultimate act of "self sacrifice" cannot be described as "selfless" because it requires a inner motivation to act.

Can people do things that display a greater concern for someone else's life over their own? Yes.

9. I don't think having that conscious effort to do something make it not selfless. Idk, but like any act requires a conscious effort. Therefore that would be like saying any action you make is selfish? :confused_2:

Idk if anybody sees what I'm trying to say.

10. Well you really wanna do it to save that person, right? So you do it. Therefore you are satisfying your urge of desire to do it, and it is done for yourself.

11. #32 Timesplasher, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
    I know exactly what you mean. I should of included (c) maybe im over analyzing and potentially talking "shit"

Therefore that would be like saying any action you make is selfish? :confused_2:

Interesting....

It does suggest that, is it now a human dilemma or just that the term itself leads to the illusion when considered realistically.

Which reminds me of this statement as well.

If youre doing a selfless act you probably wouldnt know it cuz there would be no 'self' to know it.

Why is this so :D

12. Nothing really fills up its definition 100% but if (in this case) something is significantly more helpful to someonelse rather than them self than it is yes "selfless"

13. I dont agree but enough said. Sorry to side track your thread for my own selfish reasons OP. :smoking:

14. I think you mean the term is being considered literally. I mean think about it, literally selfless means without self. But realistically it's the opposite word for selfish. I'd be like saying selfish is kind of for yourself (self-ish) and not completely for yourself?

Which reminds me of this statement as well.

If youre doing a selfless act you probably wouldnt know it cuz there would be no 'self' to know it.

I see what the quote is trying to say, and I see the connections being made. But feels like the connections are just too literal.

15. I think you can still answer the question even if it is literal. let me explain. hehe. shit i'm baked.. is there such a thing as a selfless act? the whole movement of life could be considered a selfless act. because it gives us our selves from nothing..our experience of self.:smoking:

I'm no Buddhist so I'm gonna say: I think in Buddhism ego is considered an illusion. taking this in context, What if all of our actions are truly selfless? If this is true, there really is no free will. Actions sort of just happen and our egos make up stories that place "I" in a context as it (life) goes along (unfolds).

But we have the experience of I and decision making that's just as real as ever right now, illusion or not. so withing that egoistic framework i'd say every single one of us is a selfish SOB, no question. Lol. In everyday social situations everyone has an agenda to advance. (and if you don't, you're a fool! :p)

exception might be in a heat of the moment high adrenaline action where the intelligence of the organism kicks in for survival.

16. I don't always feel good about helping others, I think of it as a team effort heading for a goal together

17. Very cool discussion.

I think there is no selfless act because every action we make is subconsciously the one we want to make even though we don't realize it in the moment.
    I think it comes to what we believe. I'll give the example of one of the posters in the first page about driving his coworker back home even if he's not really down.

In one case, if you have decent morals, you might not want to do it bc that person talks to much or u just wanna rip a bat and listen to music:p. but because it is on your way home and you feel bad if u let that person walk, you'll drive them in order to relieve yourself of that guilt ( that you might not even realize you are feeling). In the other case, if your just a jackass, you won't do it bc you only care about yourself and that's what makes you happy.

In the end, i think every decision we make is based on how we think and what is best for us. Therefore there is no such thing as a selfless act, bc everything we do comes back to us.

18. Well said. I agree.

19. [quote name='jonzing4ever']Very cool discussion.

I think there is no selfless act because every action we make is subconsciously the one we want to make even though we don't realize it in the moment.

I agree, but im curious about this part of this sentence.

every action we make - we want to make.

If you can prove this then its a fairly significant point to make. :smoking: