Nancy Pelosi supports Medical Marijuana!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Green Wizard, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Former speaker of the house is down wit the movement.

\tPelosi: I Support Congressional Efforts to Recognize the Medical Benefits of Marijuana

\t by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Coordinator July 11, 2012 \t shareshare

\t[​IMG]US Representative and former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) today reiterated her support for the legalization of medical cannabis and called for congressional efforts to recognize the plant's therapeutic efficacy.
    Speaking to Raw Story, Rep. Pelosi said, “I have long supported efforts in Congress to advocate federal policies that recognize the scientific research and clinical research demonstrating the medical benefits of medicinal marijuana, that respects the wishes of the states in providing relief to ill individuals, and that prevents the federal government from acting to harm the safe access to medicinal marijuana provided under state law.”
    “I've been very clear on the subject of medical marijuana over time,” she said, “in committee and on the floor as leader.”
    Pelosi told Raw Story and other bloggers in attendance at the round table that she believed congress should take action on the issue. Speaking to this point she stated, “I think that it would be really important to do that [address medical marijuana in congress]. It would be hard for anyone to agree with the fact that someone who has HIV/AIDS or has cancer and they find relief from pain in medicinal marijuana that should be something that should be a priority to raid on the part of the Justice Department. Going along with that, we need to address some of the penalties for any non-violent crime that are out there.”
    With prominent Democrats such as Representative Pelosi, Chicago Mayor and former Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel, New York Governor Cuomo, and the Democratic Parties in a growing number of states getting behind marijuana law reform, you have to wonder how long until President Obama realizes his drug policy has fallen out of touch with not just the electorate, but his own party.
    You can read more in-depth coverage of the blogger roundtable, along with comments from other legislators on the marijuana issue, by clicking here.

2. Probably not best for the Philosophy board, but with gay and race issues fading in potential as wedge issues, marijuana (both medical and legalization) could be a wedge in the 2016 election.