Why does everyone try so hard to pretend to be someone else?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by jonnyc55, May 19, 2012.

1. Why does everyone try so hard to pretend to be someone else?

"These types of people are extra goofy when they laugh or can give out a dramatic laugh."

Stages of depression

These people may lose their energy to keep up their false self, due to emotional traumas or going through Negative times.

They may dislike themselves by now and can tend to quite happily mock themselves or their way of life in order to get other people to laugh, this laughing helps the depressed person see themselves as silly. This is self-destructive behaviour and its because the depressed person needs to find a new identity, so he starts from scratch but first he must clear his canvas and wipe away his old failing character, by mocking it or rejecting it.

Anxiety is just the strong emotion experienced when you try to fight depression back .This anxiety will either go inwards or outwards, if the anxiety is pushed outwards then , the person may develop OCD or perfectionism or maybe paranoia, because their trying to fight their 'hidden' depression by hiding it and try so very hard to be their once old 'cool' self. If the anxiety is to go inwards, then the fight for depression is aborted and depression carries on ... without the anxiety.

You must, if you’re depressed, not fight your old 'cool' life back, but accept your current one and love how you are in every way.

The fail to adapt to a new environment results in hopelessness and then depression, this is a primitive drive of humans. Rid this primitive notion of by rejecting it and telling yourself; in this society everyone fakes to be someone and that you're just not a very good actor :/. Ohhh what can i say... tut tut .

You don't need to clear your canvas, just accept that you love the painting for what it is :).

2. I used to try so hard to be something that I thought was appealing to other people, and consequently didnt really have many friends or girls interested in me.

It was actually when I started smoking that I developed this "I don't give a fuck what you think" attitude that landed me a lot of success with girls and more people wanted to hang out.

3. [quote name='"Deadsaw007"']I used to try so hard to be something that I thought was appealing to other people, and consequently didnt really have many friends or girls interested in me.

It was actually when I started smoking that I developed this "I don't give a fuck what you think" attitude that landed me a lot of success with girls and more people wanted to hang out.[/quote]

I had the opposite experience, actually.
    I just stopped giving a fuck, which included stop giving a fuck about all the stupid shit involved with girls and social status, so i pretty much don't even try to get girls, and they don't really try to get me. same with being cool or popular. and I don't give a fuck.

:)

4. Ever heard of "will"? It's because they're hardwired to do so...

5. Just like me! I mean, I realized at a young age i was not going to deal with any bullshit so I just did not have too much of a social life to get involved in such bullshit but I still hang out with people. Same is true about the gettin girls part, I dont even try to get them they dont try to get me, but ive been told i could get em if i tried =D

6. Well for one, no matter what path of life you choose, someone has done it before, and most likely you want to emulate them, if not their personal choices than at least their ideology/values/success.

7. you are shaped by the people who around you most often over the course of your life. peoples characteristics rub off on you if you spend enough time with them. this can be good or bad. while you might be talking about a 12 year old kid who wants to be his favorite rapper and acts and talks like him, its different to have a good role model and strive to be like them as a way to better yourself so long as you don't overdo it.

8. Please explain, above. I'm interested.

PS: OP, shit gave me chills. I guess I've thought those thoughts before. About myself obviously.

9. #9 Boats And Hoes, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
    Gladly...

We are hard-wired to appease our subjective will. The will is - the drive/force to preserve and enhance your nature, by acting in accordance with your nature. Humans are beings who constantly seek for new ways to uplift or maintain their reality, no matter how it's done, whether through sex, weed, music, activities, personal interests... We are all just squirrels searching for our next nut. It's prevalent throughout nature, all beings, even trees, are hard-wired to strive for perpetual life... we are no different, we've just precipitated the metamorphosis of the will to live into a conceptaul entity.

When a human is congested with anxiety, pain, anger, etc.. it's simply because the will is not appeased. All pain and worry in this world is a result of dissatisfied wills...

Now, let's get into people acting different. Why does someone want friends? Why do we, humans, want to belong? A human is, by nature, a social being; so, from out of the gate we are hardwired to appreciate companionship... When a person feels as if they don't belong, it can be detrimental to their reality; most subjects will debase themselves, repressing their will, with ideas and concepts of not being good enough or what have you; so, a will, being a will, will search for new ways to overcome this present strife; one way is to act in a certain manner, even if it isn't organic, so that people will embrace you, which will, without a doubt, reverse suppression of will and render the will appeased. And as I said earlier, we are all squirrels searching for our next nut.

Whether it's through a social scene or in a book, we all are incessantly searching and striving to enhance our organism, whether directly, vicariously or conceptually; and this is what I meant by, "they're hardwired to do so".

10. They're afraid to just be themselves so they conform to trends and act a certain way to fit in better.

I say fuck that I don't want to fit in with the majority of people.