does depression ever go away?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by foolcoolguy, Nov 20, 2009.

1. I have been to psychiatrist, doctors, and all that and I am beginning to think there really is no real help for depression. i used to be cool and strong and happy now i am graduating early because I am withdrawn from all of my former friends. some don't like me, mostly I don't like them. I keep telling myself just keep going keep going its going to get better, but it just gets worse as I get older. Anyone have an experience like this? I get a weird enjoyment from smoking knowing I will die sooner,

(sorry if confusing, im on dxm, but I mean what I wrote)

2. #2 J.Wallace, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
    Eh, nevermind...

3. Alot of people struggle with depression, i mean ALOT. For you, it's hard to say. It may just be a period, you know? Have your doctors ever put you on any anti-depressants? Apparantly, some of them can really help. But at the same time, you need to keep a positive outlook. You need to first and formost love yourself. Don't get stressed out or caught up in the little things that happen, because those are the things that shape you into who you'll become. They just happen, you know. Try sharing your feelings with a close friend, maybe someone who also seems to be depressed. I dunno that's the best advice I can give you.

Edit: J.Wallace, the box is for personal things. I'm pretty sure he's safe posting in here.

4. I have only really confided in one person. It ended up in them telling me they dont need antidepressants to deal with their depression and that im a xanax addict for taking 2mg lorazepam 2x a day

yes ive tried the antidepressants, they work for a little while then you just feel blahhhhhhhhhh

5. its called lsd bro take it expand your mind

6. as shitty as it sounds, it sounds like you need to stop doin drugs. get active. give yourself at least a month. also positive thoughts are key.

not many people think so, but i believe since we should excerise our body, why not our minds? if thinking of bad shit can make us grit our teeth and clench our fists, whats to say positive thinking cant lead to an overall happy feeling?

you gotta feel it, you cant fake yourself.

7. Depression does not go away. You can do many things to help keep your mind off of things that may make you depressed or self medicate (medical MJ works wonders). Anti-depressants don't usually work. For some they do. But for the most part they don't. I know from experience. I was diagnosed with clinical depression years ago.

The things that I found which help me the most are the following. Stay as close as you can to friends and family. Never trust anti-depressants because chances are they're not going to work and if they do work they won't work forever. Medical marijuana is a wonder drug in this area. Try it. Trust it. Stay fit and as healthy as possible. Yes, you can partake in the herb and stay VERY fit. You don't always have to smoke it.

Oh yeah... listen to good music. Grateful Dead and reggae have always been excellent ways to curb depression for me. Stay strong! :)

8. .....Hey if I smoke allot of Weed...I get down myself......... that keep telling yourself to keep going works...Also Praying.....I would say Church but I myself knows that not all churches are living the way they should.....I myself dont go to church very much but does read her Bible....I am guessing your still young......I myself was close to doing myself in around 18-20....I did things that today I am ashamed I did....Its a ruff stage of Life.....It DOES GET ALOT BETTER.... You couldn't pay me 1 Million dollars to go back...21 yes....OK your going to Laugh your ASS OFF but I SWEAR...It work's......Get a Hobby...Football....Fucking sewing I don't care just find something you really enjoy doing....

9. i used to be very depressed, but now im not

so yeah it can go away

10. I've got depression, and had a really shitty dxm trip. I know it interacts with the serotonin in your brain, which is the same thing as antidepressants, so it may have something to do with that.

but i've been on antidepressants on and off for a few years now. No longer visit therapists. when I get off of them, I normally don't really see a difference, except there are some times when I have total breakdowns and feel powerless. On the antidepressant, I don't have those anymore.

another of my friends had it as well, and one day he just decided he wasn't going to be depressed anymore. that worked for him, though he has more willpower than anyone I know.

really, different things work for different people, don't give up, I'm sure you'll find what works for you. :cool:

11. no man it doesnt, ive dealt with it my whole life. went to psychiatrists, psychologists, went on many different anti-depressants, all that jazz. one thing that originally helped me was finding new things that would keep my mind off it, i started snowboarding and wow did that ever help. started smoking herb, helped even more. started longboarding helped even more. moved a 1000 miles away to start my life over - i was truly happy and at peace for the first time in my life.

now im back where it all started, and life is pretty shitty for me again, but this time i know theres something more out there. i am glad i had to come back though, otherwise i wouldnt have been around when one of my greatest friends killed himself. the dude who helped me figure out more of myself and ways to help my depression than anyone else. directly and indirectly he changed my life, and still did after his death. i became great friends with ppl i had originally met through him, ppl that i love and care about and they the same for me. ive even been able to tell me about my depression, up until this may of this year no one outside my family and the drs knew.

pills dont help many ppl, for some they do. they turned me into a zombie pretty much. find connections with ppl, find things you enjoy doing and focus on how happy you are with those ppl, doing those things, at that moment. i try not to worry about the future, but just think how i can be happy right now.

12. I've got major depressive disorder and I can tell you this isn't something you get cured of. Anti-depressants, for the most part, do not work for me. They make it worse, usually. I've done the same thing. I haven't spoken to any of my "friends" in over a month, but that's mainly because i see none of them give a shit about what I say or do. None of them care for my opinion, and a close friend of mine has just been using me to chill at my apartment with his girl. Pretty fucking annoying and it caused me to feel really negatively, so I just don't care anymore. You just need to eliminate a lot of the negative aspects in your life that are stressing you out and making you feel down, after that just try to continue on and eventually the clouds lessen a bit. It just takes some determination and strength, both inside and out, to face the storm.

13. Mine did. I realized that anti-depressants are a crutch to lean on. I realized my problems really really aren't that bad, nor is it the end of the world. I suffered for several years, and yes it's a living hell. But you can come out of it. Life isn't gummy bears and chocolate, there's going to be grit in it. Just push though to the chocolaty center.

14. Who needs humans, I renounced my human beingness and consider my self a sitting rock

15. i dunno what to say man - i think i've had minor depression my whole life. My doctors say if anything, i barely have depression, but i definitely do have it. They put me on SSRI's for anxiety, and thats kind of when something clicked in my head that maybe i've always been depressed. The thing is, with me, its a different kind of depression. I don't wanna kill myself, i dont have a negative outlook, and i don't seclude myself or anything (though i've had periods of typical depression). I'd consider myself more as having the Jim Morrison Complex rather than depression. "I just wanna get my kicks in before the whole shithouse goes up in flames." Basically, i'm just very indifferent and dont care about what happens. Death doesn't scare me the least bit, so ill do crazy shit even if i know it might kill me - i dont care. But with this similar outlook, i actually enjoy shit and do shit - so even if i do die, at least i'm not depressed lol

16. I have been depressed multiple times throughout my life, to the point of suicidal thoughts, but always turn the corner.

It will go away, but I have found that it always comes back for me.

The main thing is to rely on and be around people you love & trust and to know things will get better (they will).

About once a week something happens in my life that I appreciate. This could be a person I met, something I discovered that I think is cool or enjoy, something I observed in nature. I then think to myself, "I wouldn't have been able to see/experience this if I had followed through with some of my thoughts." When that happens, I kind of get this weird "high" feeling for a few seconds.

17. If you want it to go away it can. I have been depressed several times in my life to the point of attempted suicide (overdosing intentionally) and putting a toolie to my head and thinking of pullin the trigger. It goes away, what you need to do is find out what makes YOU happy I found out that things will get better I need to change the decisions i was making and found myself. If your not happy ask yourself why and go out there and try new things and meet new people :wave:

18. Depression is the most common mental illness we've got man. So the short answer is yes, i can go away and often will. One thing i think you're overlooking is that probably the main symptom of depression is hopelessness, and what you're asking is a perfect example. In other words, by definition, to be depressed you almost inherently can never see an end in sight (with clinical depression anyway, being really sad and being depressed are two entirely different things).

I don't know your story, but a few general suggestions might be as follows:

• Exercise. Many studies have shown regular exercise to be as effective or more effective than medication when it comes to depression.
    • I'd stay away from SSRIs (anti-depressants) if i was you, unless you've had some past positive experience with them. SSRIs show a lot of positive results with depression, but also paradoxically come with a well-known raised risk of suicide. I wouldn't let a friend start an SSRI regimen if they were instructed to do so by a doctor.
    • You can try 5-HTP as someone else suggested. I don't have any personal experience with it, but i do know that it is associated with heightened mood as it is the precursor for serotonin in your brain. 5-HTP can be found in the vitamin sections of plenty of stores.
    • See a psychologist. I'd probably steer clear of psychiatrists for the most part, as they are often just glorified drug dealers (hello SSRI regimen). Psychologists aren't medical doctors and are trained much better to explore issues using things like therapy than 'trists are.
    • Make it a point to change instead of accepting this as "the way you are." This might mean trying to make some new friends, find a new hobby, keeping a journal, or even trying to become your own best friend that looks out for you. I'd suggest just finding ways to surprise yourself, shake things up a bit. Interpret that as you will.
    • Stop using DXM, start smoking weed. That might sound insensitive, but Dex isn't going to help you. I'm not sure that it will make you any worse, but it's definitely not helping anything. Dex is a dissociative, which by definition means that it pulls you away from yourself, your life and potentially your friends, etc. Dex can be a good time, but i wouldn't suggest it for a depressive. Weed on the other hand has known anti-depressant effects. No doctor would suggest this, but a lot of research does. I wouldn't suggest overdoing it, but smoking regularly might work some magic.
    • Live in the now. One thing you learn when you get into psychology is that in some way, depression involves being caught up in the past, and anxiety involves being caught up in the future. These can be remedied by simply living in the moment. Now obviously this doesn't mean we should discard the past and future, but being anchored by one or both of them can be mentally crippling. Check out this article for more on that.
    • Get into psychology man. Find ways of using your own experiences to help others going through similar things. That'd be what i'm doing now;)

19. what's wrong bro? what is it about life that brings you to despair?