Shroom season....

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Barnkis, May 1, 2009.

1. Is in!!!!!!

Who's pickin?

I know I'll be gettin garbage bags full

2. same here i have hundreds of acres of cow fields right by my mothers hose so when i visit her you will be seeing pictures of publix bags full lol

3. What excacly are the most ideal climates for shroom picking. Is this all across the USA are mostly in the warmer areas?

4. Are there any to pick in NJ? I'm no mycologist, but i suppose i could find some farms somewhere and pick some, then check with the shroomery or do some spore prints to be sure, then trip my eyes out.

5. Magic mushrooms grow all across the world. Shroomery has a very nice list of what shrooms grow in what particulr states, countries etc.

Along highways here there are huge fields that I go to around now and cut off the caps and spread spores, heda back after rainfall and fill bags.

6. According to the shroomery, i could hypothetically find these:

Gymnopilus sp.
    Panaeolus cinctulus
    Psilocybe graveolens
    Psilocybe naematoliformis
    Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata

sounds good to me haha

7. Barnkis, when you've collected your yummy mush show us you haul.

8. sure will!

And guitarist, now it's time to do some googling to see what types of areas those specific shrooms like to live in, then search for said areas.

Good luck!

9. Yes it is!! I'm pumped!

10. #10 guitarist231, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
    From my reading, it seems like graveolens is my best bet, but one guy did find naematoliformis in some wood ships in a horse stable. My aunt down in central jersey has a horse...i wonder if she would think i was weird if i picked around in its poop?

Edit: actually, naematoliformis seems a bit more common. Ah fuck it, I'll just grow them. Some day, when i move out west ill become a hunter.

11. #11 ADD_man, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
    Actually, it looks like shrooms can grow around here so I suppose I'll hit up some cow fields this year, a day or 2 after a good rain is the best time to check right?

12. It should go without saying (but it doesn't, unfortunately) that unless you're a trained mycologist, or have one with you, you really shouldn't be hunting for magic mushrooms. Many poisonous ones look similar to magic ones, and there are a number of poisonous ones that bruise blue. Using the Internet as a field guide is a bad idea, too.

Just a heads up. Barnkis knows what he's up to, but for the majority of people on here shroom hunting isn't a very good idea. Use your best judgment.

13. That's why I decided to grow instead. I'd rather not die by eating something I picked out of horse shit. The shroomery forums seem pretty reliable, but I'd rather not take the risk.

14. For sure, should of mentioned that.

Read up on the shrooms you are looking for/ found and the various methods to test if they are magic or not. put a small piece under your tongue and see if it tastes bad/feels bad. When you are 100% sure what you have are magic post an ID request on shroomery for even more reassurance. Mushroom poisoning is serious shit. Make sure you are familiar with the shrooms you are looking for.

15. Out of curiosity, Barnkis, how much have you got i the past from just hunting for shrooms? Dry weight if you don't mind?

16. No idea man, a couple garbage bags a year.

My scale is like 3 inches by 3 inches so I can't be arsed to weigh it all. But lets just say that I dosed the hell out of at least 3 people a day for a straight 2 months, as well as me and 2 other friends dosing 3-4 times a week.

So, a hell of a lot. I'll try to get a better scale and weigh it for you guys.

17. Damn, where do you live with all these shrooms? If i could dose 3-4 times a week, I would be in absolute heaven.

18. sounds like easy money to me

19. Yeah but I'd rather spread the love and knowldege man.
    Free shrooms makes for an amazing trip and makes sometones day perfect.

I have a few fields where I pick 1000s of liberty caps. At the start of the season I use the shrooms to lay more spores on the same patch of mycelium and come back later and pick tonnes of shrooms.

20. I wish i could have garbage bags full of free shrooms... >_< So jealous.