how close to harvest can i spray caterpillar killer on buds?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by kevin8017, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Got a caterpillar problem and just sprayed plants yesterday, looked at trichs and plant looks very close. So how close to harvest can one safely spray that stuff without effecting taste, ect

2. i have the same problem, caterpillars are quite large and have eaten the interiors of some buds, but thankfully not too many! wondering if it's ok to spray them now (with BioThur), as probably less than 1 week to go for that plant till harvest. The other plant has 2-3 weeks to go as flowers still growing and no signs of caterpillars on that one, but was planning to spray it too, to prevent them coming onto the plant.
    thanks for any advice!

3. i don't think i'd spray them now ...Just go thru the plant and get the bugs

4. I just got some Safer Brand Caterpillar Killer. I just cant bring myself to spray my buds with it. $14.99 LOL.

I only found one and not found any new ones. No new damage and the buds are not drying on the plant.

If i find more, then I will spray. I did see about 15 moths in the tent stuck in the weirdest places. I killed them all. My damage was light. A few pistals here and there.

I spend hours looking for them, but I stopped opening the buds to search for them after the first day. I figured I was doing more damage than good handling all the buds. Almost as bad as spraying the buds. Now I just grab the branch and twist it to look at the buds.

I hate having to deal with this.

5. don't spray brother.... I just did that, then i wash them off with a hose..Not that happy with how the buds taste...its difficult but i still went through every bud to get those suckers and save the plant...The only damage from going through the buds is it fluffs them up and they dry faster

6. #6 anoesis, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011
    Blizo, you should give the buds a checking. Sometimes you won't see the obvious signs of their presence until you poke around. I don't like doing it either but I would rather get them out of there than let them eat & shit everywhere while I sleep :(

I got them here in CA too. By the time I realized I was ~3 weeks from harvest & did not spray because of all the conflicting info in regards to how it would affect taste. So, I cut some early... they were riddled with pillars. like maybe 1 out of 7 of the large colas would be caterpillar free. the others, once I poked around I saw all their shit, the dead bud, big one pillars & small ones, mainly black & green colored

i've been searching all around for days now about what to do. lots of opinions

i've got one plant left that started flowering late, at least a month & 1/2 on her. no way could the moths have gotten to her yet... wrong! see one fucker on the very top just hanging out!

anyway i couldn't help the tl;dr, really frustrating.

birds & spiders eat moths & cats, so i reckon attracting them should help out some

tl;dr god damn those motherfuckers to hell!

7. the best way is to go through the plant by hand with tweezer ..Do this before harvest cause its alot easier

8. just a note that i'm having alot better luck with my second crop.I had been spraying with foliar feeder during flowering but i stopped that just to see if it might be causing the catterpiller problem.These new plants don't seem to have any bugs at all...

9. wouldn't that just allow some lucky caterpillars to go undisturbed/turn into moths? i've had them since the start of flowering

were they grown in the same area?

10. I say cut their heads off, put them on toothpicks next to your plants. Send a warning to the others. You know?

11. yes same area