Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Jstoned420, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hey eerbody,

First time poster looking for some help. I have a pretty large plant thats getting closer and closer to harvest, just wondering if someone could tell me if its a good idea to trim the excess leaves to let it produce buds more or if thats just fiction and i should "leaf" it alone

2. the leaves that look dead or dying leaves you want to cut off and place them in the soil because they act as compose. if you had some pics it would be better

3. NO. do not remove leaves, even if they are turning yellow towards the bottom. the only leaves i remove are the ones that come off by pulling just a tiny bit.

the reason i say no, is because these leaves are how the plant gets alot of its energy..less fan leaves=less energy= less bud :rolleyes:

4. Lol man a leaf is not transporting and sugars(sun energy) to the plant after it begins to turn yellow. Removing yellowed leaves are crucial during the flowering stage.

5. Kbslinga is mostly right in my opinion. The plant needs its energy factories and removing too many of them can slow bud development and maturity.

But yellowing leaves and a few carefully chosen fans that will allow sunlight to penetrate into the plant a bit can be helpful, but FEW is the key word.

I prefer another method of increasing the size of secondary budding. The buds on the ends of the branches grow and mature much faster than buds further down the branch towards the stem. Buy harvesting the end buds when they are ripe, it induces the buds further down the branch or on the inside of the plant to mature more quickly and has a similar effect of topping in earlier growth which enhances branch development.

Harvest the ripe end buds and 2 weeks/20 days later, harvest the mature lower buds.

6. #6 Ccoastal, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
    ... So ur saying cut colas up to 3 weeks before the plant is mature? No thanks. I'd rather have the tried and true payoff in real weight by removing the lower nugs and lettin the colas use the energy(u kno like how the pro's do lol lol).... Have u ever actually grown a full plant or is this all speculation to u??

7. I remove ALL LEAVES that come off easily with a very slight tug. Any resistance causes me to leave the leaf there, maybe try another tug the next day or two.

8. #8 Jstoned420, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
    heres a photo of the crown, and some of the other nice buds, just wondering if i should trim it down before i harvest or just leave it till i chop it

Attached Files:

9. I do the same exact thing man

10. Why the hostilities Coastal?

The advice i gave him is the same advice DJ shorts gives with regaurd to flo and Kc Brains gives with mango, but it works the same on all plants.

The end colas mature before the internal budding does on all strains and plants: Period. If you wait until internal buds are ripe, your end colas will be beyond ripe.

I grew my first crop of cannabis in the late 60's and have been growing every single year for the past 40+ years. Yes, i have grown a plant out fully .

11. SO harvest main cola, but leave lowers buds and branches for better development? Makes sense to me!

12. thanks for everyones advice, i have not found any leaves that come off easily so im just gonna leaf it alone till i harvest

13. #13 washedmothafuka, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Lol you have no idea what your talking about. You've grown a few cycles and think you're the best so you can talk shit about everyone else's opinions...

First, when a fan leaf yellows the plant is taking the energy from that leaf until it fully dies. When you pluck early you are causing the plant to yellow another fan leaf sooner.

Just maybe take a second and accept other people's ideas and then form your own opinion...don't just be a snobby little bitch who thinks he is a pro when he actually doesn't even know how a plant uses energy. Get out of here.

14. Lol u have no idea what ur talking about. Why don't u quit while ur not quite ahead. Why don't u take some classes in horticulture and botany and then open ur fat disrespectful mouth.

15. Coastal may be arrogant(and belive me, ive butted heads with him before), but. Hes also legit. He's given me some helpful advice before.

16. A plants leaves do begin to turn yellow while feeding on the nitrogen or other nutes in the leaves. however, the nutrients are carried out of the leaves quickly and the leaf continues to yellow. The reason for this is the xylem and phloem in the leaves close off at the node. For people that didn't go to college for botany and horticulture, xylem is the outer part of a stem that has the extra thick cellulose and is mainly for holding the plant upright and for the transportation of water, phloem is the inner softer area of the stems which is used for bringing carbs and sugars throughout the plant. There is literally NO need to leave a leaf on the plant after it has yellowed, in fact it is advised but every grower with a notch that u remove them to help the plant cut off the leaf without taking the time, also dead leaves hanging off ur plant are a breeding ground of bacteria and mold. Argue away wash out.

17. Well put coastal

18. #18 washedmothafuka, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Why couldn't you just write that the first time coastal. One of the more informative posts I've read...isn't that why some of us are on here? To learn?

All I was saying was to leave the leaf on until all of the green has left. Once it yellows...yes it is obviously a hinder more than a help. But I never said to leave it on after it yellows. Looks my first and last paragraphs were probably un needed. I just didn't take kindly to your response to the other dude.

So once the leaf fully yellows the xylem is cut off? Or does it happen somewhere in the middle between green and yellow. I've just been pulling them once they lose all green...apologies on the arrogance.

19. #19 Ccoastal, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
    No worries man I went back and read my message, didn't remember writing it too well, and it was indeed arrogant and for that I truly apologize.

People think the yellowing is caused by the nitrogen being taken from the leaf, this is partially correct. It begins to yellow when the phloem transporting food to the leaf begins to close off, I'm pretty sure in the last one I said it's inside the xylem but the xylem is in the middle of a leaf along the 'pipes' with the phloem, the nutrients stop flowing to the leaf as it doesn't need it. But the nutrients still flow from the leaf into the plant until the phloem and xylem has closed off to the point that there's no movement in the 'pipes'.

That's why the yellowing happens cuz the chlorophyll dies off from starvation and u can see the yellowish cell structure that's usually covered by the vibrancy of the green in the mesophyll or palisade(sp?) cells.

The chlorophyll still dies off after the leaf has closed off, which is usually still 5-10% green. The rate it turns yellow has a number of factors, most likely the biggest is humidity and temp for most plants.

When the guard cells which are around the stomata in a leaf are swollen with water from rain, fog, or just high humidity the guards swell up and when they do they shape kinda like a kidney, which opens the stomata. This promotes air flow throughout the leaf and speeds up the degradation of chlorophyll.

Pretty much the easiest way to tell if everything is closed off enough is to look at how well the leaf is standing, because this depends on the flow of moisture in the xylem. If it's standing up pretty well chances are it's still feeding off it but if it's completely yellowed go ahead and yank it regardless. Same goes for if it's still got green but is hanging limp on an otherwise upright plant, yank it. But u can take em off a little early as well. At around 20% green u can take them off without really doing any damage because what's left is minimal and it saves the plant the energy of trying to get at it. Instead all it has to do is 'scab' over the wound from dropping the leaf, which it would have had to do anyway.

I hope that makes sense lol I'm pretty ripped.

20. I was shown a film in school that really stands out, I've been searching trying to find it and it's name for the last hour or so. It's really bothering me, it's veryy informative but a little monotonous, kinda older like the life of plants. But it was one of the single most helpful films I've seen in regards to how a plant works and what they need in each stage, each part of the plant specifically.