Small leaves Curling up, Plant fine otherwise

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by PlantyNotDruggy, Jul 14, 2011.

1. My plants are demonstrating odd behavior. They are growing brilliantly, are a deep evergreen color, are starting to bud but thats ok because they're clones and were budding when i got them in the middle of June.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what they're in. The bigger plant is the one closest, and the other clone was split into two so they're smaller.
    [​IMG]

I'm a noob grower but i'm using basic outdoor growing tips that my dad; an outdoor potfarmer of 30+ years, told me. Any opinions on whats causing my leaves to curl?

I know i havent over-fertilized, i only mixed about a cup of Miracle Grow bloomboost green-bb pellet things throughout the toteful of soil. I know they're not dry, the soil is watered regularly by rain and if we have 2 days of sun i make sure that the top three inches or so of soil don't over-dry.

I'm wondering if maybe a few really hot and/or really really humid days and nights (i live in maine, humid is the name of the game in summer.) can have this effect, because i don't remember it happening to me last year, but all my plants never even got this good looking last year due to shitty garden placement (no sun)

Info about the tote they're in: I popped 125 holes in the bottom of the tote and its sitting on a few properly placed rocks for drainage purposes, the soil is miracle grow moisture control, some sand, and some wood ash for ph balance, about 3:1:1/2 ratio, plus its soil thats been in the ground in a seperate garden over the winter, so its been used before and i sifted through it and got out all of the old roots prior to planting new plants in it, in the tote. I wish i had filled the bottom of the tote with rocks to add even better drainage, but oh well, live and learn.

2. Honestly dude, its flowering and leaves start to do different things when that happens. dont worry, its a harmless anomaly. However, I'd like to see you research some ways to create your own soil and perhaps use a bigger container or the ground next time :D

3. I basically did create my own soil, and last year i had some of the most crystal-covered buds of anyone i knew that grew, and it was my very first time actually growing. Unfortunately, as a noob, i picked a spot that had GREAT sun early in the summertime but as it grew closer to July/August, for whatever reason, my garden got less and less sun past 1-2 pm, So my plants didnt get nearly enough sun.

They were beautiful plants, but they were limited to small top buds and even smaller branch buds. :( 9 plants, got MAYBE 11 grams in total.

This year i hope to get much more, and i know i should've used two different totes, one for each plant, but i was in a rush to get them planted and into seclusion because my mom isn't exactly privy to my growing lifestyle. :p

So you think its just the plant getting ready for flowering? I really hope so, because its totally healthy otherwise, its just got curled up little leaves..

4. Update: This is what they look like now, a few days later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still healthy looking, just small leaves are still curling/curling up even more.

5. Yeah, I mean they seem to be getting what they need food wise, but they look like plants that don't get enough sun and can't decide what to do flowering wise. Im sure you'll get more off this one than the 9 you only got 11 grams off of. Those aren't happy numbers! Good luck and move that thing into full day sun all day! It will love you more! :wave:Anytime you need anything just hit me up, it aint no prob at all bro!

6. i 'd say ph problem. even in soil you have to look your ph.

in soil ph as to go around
    6.0 to 6.2

keep it growing

7. it looks like the plant was flowering, but is going back into veg. i had some jack herer that did that. dont worry too much about it. its not gonna die:)

8. I can't give them any more sun than they're currently getting unfortunately. if its a nice sunny day they get sun all the way til 6:30-7Pm. And take note: this is easily 2-3X more sun than my gardens last year got.

By this time last year, my plants were much thinner and sparsely branched. I can already tell, just by how much these plants are growing in shorter periods of time than my plants last year, that they are going to have far greater yields.

I will keep updating every 1-2 days, if the curling gets any worse i'm going to have my dad come down sometime and inspectigate.

TY for your input, Guru :)

9. Yeah, My plants are 2 of around 30 plants that were started in a basement by my dads GF and he was late getting them out, they were growing buds already when he started putting them in the ground. Mine were no different, they started having buds by the time i put them in the tote, so they were flowering already, i assume thats what 'flowering' means, buds were growing already.. lol. *total noob* :eek:

I know that you hit a plant with lots of nitrogen to put a halt to bud growth, least thats what i extrapolated from my dad's methods. And it seemed to work for a few weeks there, the bloom boost fertilizer made my plants go KABOOM with growth, way way way more than my dads plants did and they're in pre-made gardens in the ground with all-day sun, where his gardens are.

I showed my dad pics of them about 3 weeks after i had them planted in the tote and he was disappointed that his plants hadn't gotten as dark green as mine.

10. yes, flowering does mean budding. the bud is a flower. thats why it has an odor and pistils and shit. if you want, you can clip all the shriveled leaves up since they really are not doing anything for the plant. save the trimmings. and when you are done with harvest, make some hash out of all the trimmings and shit. good luck to you though:)

11. UPDATE! Its now nearly a month till harvest time, and boyyy my plants sure have grown! I have a few noob questions though i'm pretty sure i already know the answers to them, I just want to be sure and to get opinions.

The undergrowth of both of my plants have started to yellow, profusely. This is normal, as the plants begin using the nitrogen to produce buds, right?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But is this normal? The deep undergrowth is dying. All the small shit has turned brown and is falling off, or has already fallen off, or is hanging and only staying on because the very bottom of the stem of the leaves is still alive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. it looks pretty normal bro. as the plant focuses more energy to the buds and less to leaves the leaves fall off. its pretty normal. im glad you didnt trip out and start adding all sorts of nutes and fry it. the leaves tend to start falling off from the bottom to the top. just look at other grows.

13. Is it me or do the plants in the top pictures have crazy lookin leaves? Like a house plant or something. And iceman your sig made me laugh out loud.

14. thanks:)

15. Last update till harvest, unless something catastrophic happens. Only one pic this time. But isn't it purdy? :) Biggest branch on the single-stalked plant is to the right, with the sun on it. Got about.. hopefully another 3 or 4 weeks left before harvest. I'd like to see them go till sept. 21st at least, to try and have the buds grow as much as possible. Preferably right into October, if the weather is nice and not too chilly. :)

[​IMG]

16. nice man. told you no worries.

17. dude, lets see a shot of the harvest!!

18. Greetings peoples, i come baring pics of my harvest! :D Lots of pretty pretty pics!

These are a few purty cola's, i took pics of before the harvest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is all of the cut, trimmed branches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And heres some random pics :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. you need to trim up those buds bro. lol. make em pretty.

20. them look like pretty damn nice buds man, good job.

and if you were wondering about the leaves on the bottom, i usualy only keep 3 sets of leaves on my plants