Twisted/corkscrewed leaves on new growth?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Tweaky, Jul 25, 2010.

1. The new growth on one of my plants has twisted leaves growing at the top, the old growth and new growth on the stem is completely normal and looking very healthy.

They are one month old and to me they look to be doing really well. First grow :) I havnt started using nutes yet, but its near time to start i think.

I wish i could show photos but ive no way to get any at the present time.. maybe in a few days. Its really wierd, ive not seen anything like it on the web before, it doesnt look unhealthy, but they are REALLY twisted at the top.

2. Same here!! It's a;; twisted and on some of my plants the new deformed growth is red.

3. your missing something in the plant food

4. Hmm, i'm not sure, before i started feeding i had one plant like this, now after 3 days after the first feeding i've another like this, i'm using miracle grow and i know this isn't the best food but it should keep them healthy at least shouldn't it? And there is a tinge of red in the centre of new top leaves on the first plant this happened to.. :(

Could it be overwatering because its being quite wet here lately and its never dried out properly for the roots to breathe but i expected this so i've a whole load of perlite mixed through it..

Hmm, what to do?

5. Ive been doing a bit of research,

it could be a Molybdenum deficiency, i'm not certain, but apparently the leaves can look as if they have nitrogen deficiency (loosing their green colour, yellowing) as well but might not show if you have been using ferts, and i think in my case the compost had enough nitrogen to keep 'em green, but now that i think of it, one of them was yellowing until i fed it. Anyway, the giveaway sign is severe twisting of the younger leaves..

Molybdenum gets locked out of soil with a p.h between 2.5 and 5.5 i think and that is entirely plausible in my case as i've been trying to get my hands on lime for a while now, im guessing the bog water I had no choice but to use is highly acidic :p

Until i get my hands on some lime ill try foliar feeding in the meantime, hope this helps you to Eclipse!

Ill update this if it works :)

6. add some dolimite lime to the water 1-2 times 1 table spoon to gallon of water.next time go organic;)

7. Cheers and i'll look into it :)

8. Double post

9. Hey maina, I have hydrated lime i found here, it doesnt say dolomite on the bag any where, is that ok to use? What exactly is dolomite?

10. That's what I wanted to put in my soil when I started, but I was in abit of a rush since I started late. But yesterday I flushed all my plants really good and added 1/4 strength of all my nutes including Tiger Bloom. So 1/4 strength of Grow Big, Cal-Mag Plus, Tiger Bloom, and Big Bloom. Hopefully this solves it... I''' update back in a few days or until something happens....

11. #11 ECLIPSE, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
    Ok well I did some googling, and I do think it's Molybdenum deficency or Boron. But it's most likely Molybdenum... lol The boron deficiency will be ruled out in a couple days, because I gave some tiger bloom which has some Boron... I'm in veg( but i still gave flowering nutes just in case...) So I was reading all my nutrient bottles and none of them have Molybdenum. The red new growth in my case seems to be normal though. They "eventually turn green once they grow out".

I don't know where I would get sodium molybdate...

Have you been using any spray on your plants besides neem oil? Because I just started using this and the problem started ever since: [​IMG]

And for a pH Test kit I just bought this really cheap and pretty reliable kit a week ago. Walmart.com: Api Aquarium Pharmaceuticals: Fresh Water Ph Test, 1 Kt: Fish
    It was 5 dollars.

Oh and Dolomite lime is supposed to prevent your soil from becoming too acid, which means it will raise the pH. I believe it also has a buffering effect, which means it keeps the pH more stable, rather than bouncing up and down like a yo-yo. And it fixes Ca and Mg problems I think...

12. Yes, your correct about the lime, i read up on it, the hydrated lime should fix it temporarily i think, as long as i go easy on it so not to toxify the soil :p

Hopefully as it says, it may disappear on its own, but ill not take the risk, ill use the lime and foliar feed for now to see what happens, ill check my nutes now before i go to see do they contain molybdenum.

And no, I havnt used sprays on my plants just yet, nothing dangerous at all of any kind, i've been so busy lately i'm finding it tight to find a gap to sneak out when the coast is clear, nows that time! So i'm gonna head off :p Need to buy some sort of insecticide now soon, to be safe, hopefully ill get my hands on something organic.

13. So ive done what i said i was gonna do there now.. ill update with results! Hopefully that lime wont kill em of, i was careful with it anyway.

14. kk a good natural insecticide you can make is with neem oil, soap, and warm water.

HOW 2 MAKE IT: How to Make Neem Oil Pesticide | eHow.com

15. Do your nutes have Molybdenum?

16. Yup, it does contain it, a really really small amount, but i'm guessin that all it needs!

17. Well i checked up on them last night and they do seem a little better.. not cured but better i think, defiantly not worse and nothings dying.. So ill keep doing this until they are cured :) Any luck with you plants eclipse?

18. Sounds more like a clone that was starting to flower and went back to vegetation. .

19. Well no.. it wasn't a clone, but how could it go back into veg? Is that possible outdoors?

20. Ah, i realize what u mean now.. no, not clones nyway.