Harvest Moon Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by prettybuds, Oct 6, 2006.

1. We've got a harvest moon coming up tomorrow, and I was wondering what the significance of it is. I heard that because of it the tides are going to be extra high, and I've heard people saying that they were going to harvest on the harvest moon.

My question is this, I've got one plant that's fairly close to being perfectly finished, MAYBE another week, if that, and another 4 that could definitely use at least another week, but no more then two. Is there any advantage to taking the furthest along plant a few days early just to harvest on the full moon?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hey Prettybuds -

No.... There is no advantage to harvesting on the full moon. Harvest your crops when they are ready!
    Long-long ago in a place not so far away the people would use that moon as an indication that it was time to harvest. (FOOD!) They did not have stores & markets to buy food items and if the crop was lost due to freeze they would have nothing to feed them during the winter. So they would start the harvest on the harvest moon (1st full moon in Oct). The harvest sometimes took several weeks but that is when they started to collect the crops.....

Kisses -
    Hott

3. Alright cool, thanks Hott. I'm really anxious about this harvest, although this isn't my first grow (second), this will be the first time I've grown 5, and also let'em go until they were fully done. Last time I was out of herb and getting paranoid about the smell. I've since moved and have a stash of northern lights to tide me over......So I should be good. But I just wanted to see if this was something worth taking advantage of.

So it's just a timing thing? Nothing to do with the extra gravitional pull from a full moon?

4. Hott, the harvest moon isn't the first full moon in October. Actually it's rare for the harvest moon to even occur in October. It's the full moon closest to the autumnal equinox, it generally occurs in September.

5. This is where I draw the line. I did so much reading to the point of room temperatures affecting distances of nodes to the moon phases affect on growth. It's not really worth all the trouble honestly. When I was talking to a fellow grower about it he said maybe I should take some time off from growing. If it made a difference of an ounce it would be worth it but honestly just leave it alone. There are too many variables to consider as it is. :)

6. HAHAHAHA, agreed. That was the question, does it make a substantive difference, who the hell knows. I didn't chop, they're not ready yet, but sooooooooooooon.

7. No, no real difference. I know how you feel. I chopped mine 12 hours before the first frost where I live. I had about 1 more week of flowering left but I knew the risk of getting found, deer or frost was too high. Rain was on the way aswell. 2 days of drying so far and I can't wait! Go take the Tops if they are ready and give them lower branches another week to finish.

Good Luck!

8. The weather here is looking dicey towards the end of the week, rain and COLD/FROST. These babies can't take three days of showers, so it looks like wednesday might be the chopping day.

I've got mine in pots, is it worth it to bring them into the house and keep them in total darkness for 48 hours? I hear that squeezes the most THC out of them and helps to cutt back on the harsh smoke/chlorophil.

9. shit if they are in pots and you have a few lights you can finish them inside. or in the window. 48 hours of total darkness could cause mold to form plus you don't know what kind of pest you are bring inside. Did you stop ferts and begin flushing with pure water? Stop watering 2-3 days before harvest. aides for quick drying time. Trim off big fan leafs the day before if you haven't already.

10. If I had lights I'd be growing inside, which might be the next step. They're basically trimmed already, haven't added ferts for about 2+ weeks and they've been flushed, they're all ready to go. The only problem I had was with powdery mildew because of all the moisture we had in september up here in CT. I sprayed them with an organic spray which took care of the mildew but also basically fuck over the big leaves. The buds were fine though thank God. Had a SMALL amount of rot and took care of that quickly. As of yesterday they're at about 80% cloudy 20% amber in the trichs department. So it's just a matter of time.

Thanks for the advice

11. Hey Prettybuds -

I was just checking out the weather for New England this AM & came to the same conclusion as you..... WEDNESDAY! I have 2 plants that are not ready yet so they will have to wait another week or so but my other 6 plants are getting cut Wednesday before 3 days of rain arrives! (plus I will have more than enough to process and trim with these 6 plants. If I had 8 to process all at once I would hate it!):(

Kisses -
    Hott

12. Hmmmmmmmmm, they just upped Friday to partly cloudy, so I'm now only expecting showers on Wednesday and Thursday........I'M SO CONFUSED! I might chop the one that furthest along, she's about a week and a half ahead of the other 4. They're all getting very dense now too, I don't wanna fuck them up with this rain though, I just got over a little rot and mildew.

13. i actually did that years ago, harvested on a harvest moon. not because the moon but because their was supposed a heavy frost that night.

14. The significance of a Harvest Moon is at Sunset when a full Moon rises in Autumn near the equinox there is no period of darkness. This traditionally allows the farmer to work longer in the field harvesting his crop.