Bud Rot??? Pics included

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by barbrich, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Wondering if anyone can help with this. I think this is bud rot but I'm not sure, it happened to me last year but I didn't notice til it was too late and I lost at least a couple ounces. It happened last year after a brutal 7 days of rain straight, with high humidity. Not knowing any better I paniced and chopped the whole plant as soon as I saw it. After that experience last year, i now check my buds constantly so I can prevent another major loss. I'm experiencing similar conditions this year, rain often, combined with high humidity whether it's raining or not.
    I'm new so I'm just guessing based on what I've read. If it is bud rot, what can I do?
    So far this year, I've been pulling the buds as soon as I see the rot starting, then cleaning out the rotted part and smoking the rest. If possible I'd rather let these beauties stay on the plant and continue growing.

So here are my questions.
    If I just remove the rot and some of the bud surrounding it, is it safe to let the bud stay and continue to grow?

The buds are close to being ready to my liking, maybe 2 -3 weeks away from harvest, can I spray a fungicide on the infected bud to try to save it?

I bought "Daconil" Fungicide that is supposed to control " Botrytus" which is what I think the scientific name for bud rot is, "again, this is just my guess based on what I've read" and it is safe for use on fruit and vegetables.

Thanks in advance for any help

:(

Attached Files:

2. Im not really sure but wouldnt spray it with fundicides so close to harvest make the smoke really chemically. Im not really sure just puttin an idea out there. good luck.
    - D

3. It looks like bud rot to me. I've had it befor sevaral times. Have you been getting a lot of rain?

4. I wouldn't spray it either. I would just pick it off because it could cause it can cause mold and affect other buds. Harvest when it's to your liking. Good Luck and ENJOY

5. That is definitely blight. I get it every year to varying degrees. A lot of people might disagree with me but what I do is simply pick out the infected area and hope for no more rain. This also depends upon how close you are to harvest. From the look of your pictures it seems like your pretty close. When you start chopping just make sure you go through the the plant and closely inspect it for other infected areas. Then I just cut out the infected areas and use them with the leaves to make butter. I wouldn't use fungicides this close to harvest. I've never had any problem with it spreading after harvest, just make sure you dry them in a area with low humidity. Good luck.

6. Thanks for the quick replies. I was pretty much on the same page as both of you but don't want to admit defeat just yet.
    It doesn't hurt to dream I guess ....
    We have had alot of rain and the damn humidity won't come down so i knew i was going to have a battle on my hands based on last years experience.

Thanks Again for the advice

7. Thanks, I'm going to give that a try but i have more friggin rain comin Friday night.
    I've already cut out the bad area, it was very small cuz I check in the a.m. before work, then as soon as I get home evryday so I can catch it b4 it takes out any large quantities. So I'll keep my eye on it til Fri night.

And I guess Blight is another name for it?? cool I'm going to look that up a bit.

Awesome dude, thanks

8. Grey Mold! look it up

Same stuff that grows on your old strawberries in the fridge.

Use a fungal spray.

9. I'm here with you dude! Goin through the same thing. Its budrot or grey mould (Botrytis) and its very very nasty, just do what everybody else has been tellin ya and cut at the very moment you see any sign of mould.I've been doing the same and i've already lost a couple oz from each plant,bad times.

10. Thanks again for all the replies, I did cut just that tiny bud out on Wednesday and even with rain and high humidity it did not spread in that location.:hello:

I wish i would have asked questions last year....I ended up panicing and chopping the whole thing down as soon as I figured out what it was.