First time Aussie Grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by jackc, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Hey as the threads name suggests this is my first time grow and im an Aussie.
    I germed a seed from a dank bud on the 29th of november so nows its just over a month old.
    i just topped it the other day and its alive so thats a good sign but i think it needs fertilisers, the bottom serated leaves are lime yellow and the 2nd set of serated leaves are a light green.
    their are six nodes and the plant is about 10 to 15 centermetres tall.
    pictures are coming in next post.

2. hey hey! looks like you've got the pics sorted?

she looks fine to me jack....heaps of questions though:

what kind of soil have you got there?

how big is that pot and are you going to keep her in there?

how much light is she getting?

you going for an outdoor grow, right? Going for stealth?

3. the soil is from my front yard lol, its not too good but seems to let plants grow and grass as in the stuff you walk on loves it :p

the pot im not sure how big but in the next couple of days i am transferring it into a 3.5 litre pot and gonna get proper soil from bunnings, any suggestions?

the light she is getting i have a small CFL lamp that is 8 watts and i turn it on in the morning when the sun comes up and then when the sun starts hitting surface erea in my backyard i put it in the sun throughout the entire day so roughly 9 am to 6pm of direct sunlight :) i have to move her around the yard though lol and then when the sun goes down i put here back under the lamp in my room. so she gets roughly 6 to 8 hours sleep in dark. i have her under lamp so she does no go into flowering cause the suns starts to come up in the morning around 6 and goes down around 6.

as for outdoor grow its a maybe and the stealth is an obvious seeing as my lovely girl is an illegal. i might have to grow indoor in a small tent thing not sure depends on how it goes and whether i can keep it undetected outside, id like to do natural lighting and all that but lifes life and you have to do what you have to do.

4. just found a little hijacker on my plant and it was a little spider, cant have any of those spinning their threads over my baby so down the drain she goes. just measured the pot shes in and its at 21cm length 13cm width and 13cm height, but i use 9cm height with soil.

5. ok...like i keep saying i'm a noob too, so be careful....BUT i hear that Rose mixes work well. I like to add sand to all my potting soil, keeps it all airy and well drained. I get my sand from my local golf course, 'coz i'm a cheap bastard, but am sure gardening shop will have choice gear (don't use crap). I put it in about 20% sand.

If i'm going to plant out later, i use a round pot - makes life a lot easier. When I plant out, I moisten everything, get it all ready so as roots don't get too much sun (for transplanting, keep your roots moist and dark). Fill your new pot with potting mix up to about 2cms from the top. Take about a double handful of mix out. Grab a small single handful and put it back in, and make it into a shape in the middle of the pot that is like an upside down ice cream cone....the idea is that the plant sits on the top and the roots cascade over the cone and that way they don't get all squashed up together.

CAREFULLY take out your baby, trying to rip as few roots as possible. For yours, i'd say you'd want to be scooping out a double handful of soil. Carefully transfer to waiting new pot, then carefully place her in...hold her up by the stem with one hand (be careful lol) and fill it all in with the other. Then give her a good water. If you're ever root bound, its a good idea to run a thin bit of metal around the inside of the old pot to free up the roots e.g. butter knife is ok for small pots.

Hours are fine - same as mine! If you're moving her around a lot, sounds good to have a 3L pot...but you may have to transplant again if she gets too big...hopefully anyway!

Is your Compact Fluorescent Light a special growing light, or is it just your standard globe? If just the standard sort, it won't do fuck all for her growth....but i'm GUESSING it will do the job of keeping her in veg.

I often see yellow leaves at the bottom of my garden and vegetable plants - to my mind this is a perfectly normal sign that the top is goring well and she is transferring her goodies....but it could be a sign that she is overwatered?

Your soil looks pretty nice as does your baby....i'd be surprised if she was starving. And rose mix is choice. Personally, I held off the blood and bone - there's the dog thing, but more that it is like eating a hash cookie....once it is in, its in! nothing much you can do....imo if you're like me and not experienced, i'd stick with water nutes, like Charlie Carp or whatever....it really won't matter much... but DO start slow like 420 says....Charlie Carp says 10mls per litre...and btw for most nute bottles 10mls is a capful: I started on 10mls in 5 litres and have now worked up to 20mls in 5 litres....so a little less than half strength.

LOL, i'm writing an essay here (!)

She's looking good man. What are your laws over there btw?

6. lol im so high for new years literally and i managed to read all that and understand it. well laws over here are if your growing like 1 plant for yourself you get a slap on the wrist then jail if ever after. not sure ill back to you on full details im kinda Vaked.

7. lol, no probs. Enjoy the night dude...happy new year!!

8. hell yes you have a good new year.

9. Good to see you have a thread going mate . Happy new years , may you and your family dreams come to fruition this year . On ferts Ed Rosenthal & Mel Frank released a book called Marijuana Growers Guide ,i forget what page it is on but says Rose ferts are the bomb for our little herb mate i have used used them in the past for convieince ,but try and get ones that arnt slow release . Check out any of Rosenthals books or Jorge Cervantes books they are good books with simple and experienced tried and tested ways of growing the herb . ODgrower might not have grown much before( well thats what he says) but hes got a good handle on things .Plant is looking healthy to me , a close up of the yellowing would be good . I like organic growing ferts but thats just me , specially if you are going to be ingesting the herb .Any hows take care mate and keep up the good work !:hello:

10. yeah illl look into the george cervantes books, i wanna do organic ferts cause its my meds and i dont really like the idea of taking in unwanted chemicles even if its flushed. ill use non organic if i have to but first choice organo.
    so viol8r do you have a grow thread?
    just took some photos of my baby and will post those yellow leaf photos abit later this morning for now time to chill and eat my brekkie :p

11. so im grabbing blood and bone, seasole, some premium potting soil today from bunnings. whilst im their im gonna check out the go go juice, so what exactly is it good for?

12. Nice one jacko,
    Good to see you have a thread now !

If I was you I'd probably go for a bigger pot or you will need to transplant again too soon .
    Go for the biggest you think you can handle and just leave it outside permanently now :)
    She's a good size and doubt she will flower for at least a few weeks which is the time you want her to flower anyways (they flower for 3 months an you want her to finish in April or it's too cold)

If you have a good spot you could even pop her in the ground :)
    And if your paranoid you can go guerilla like I did I can give you some tips there.

OD is right most sands are good for your soil , but some types arênt so if you want to add sand read on here what types they like, perlite and peat moss do a good job too if your not so cheap haha ;)

Good to see everyone hanging around here , each year you learn a shit load so if you don't fully pull it off this year it will be more motivation to kick ass next year guys :)
    Good luck jack !
    42o

13. i asked the lady at bunnings about the potting mix also read the back of the potting mix (bag sais already contains sphagnum peat, bio active compost, active minerals , nutrients and wetting agent whatever that is)
    the lady said it does not need compost cause its already made into it and she said its the best stuff their is called Amgrow seed raising mix black label superior quality.
    when i poured all the gogo juice seasol and powerfeed (just a fert that works especially well with seasol) and quatered downed the dosage then poured 1L of solution into the 3.5 L pot then poured some more water over.
    it drained through really well no pooling and theirs a section at the bottom of the pot wheir it can collect water and slowly leak out.

the topping has done good, i think i topped it a bit early cause those side growths had not really started but they are pushing through fast and expecting them to open in a handfull of days.

next post contains pics of her in her new home :)

14. im subbed brotha man...

15. [quote name='"420outdoor"']Nice one jacko,
    Good to see you have a thread now !

If I was you I'd probably go for a bigger pot or you will need to transplant again too soon .
    Go for the biggest you think you can handle and just leave it outside permanently now :)
    She's a good size and doubt she will flower for at least a few weeks which is the time you want her to flower anyways (they flower for 3 months an you want her to finish in April or it's too cold)

If you have a good spot you could even pop her in the ground :)
    And if your paranoid you can go guerilla like I did I can give you some tips there.

OD is right most sands are good for your soil , but some types arênt so if you want to add sand read on here what types they like, perlite and peat moss do a good job too if your not so cheap haha ;)

Good to see everyone hanging around here , each year you learn a shit load so if you don't fully pull it off this year it will be more motivation to kick ass next year guys :)
    Good luck jack !
    42o[/quote]

I'm thinking of leaving in back yard or going gorilla, gotta really think stuff through but soon I'll leave perm outside once it picks up its leaves abbit :) I'd appreciate some tips once I decide what to do

16. pretty as a picture jack..i can see that plant booming :)

17. just used measuring tape and she is 12 cm tall :) cant wait for it to start picking back up.