Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" grow (Power Africa & various Bagseed)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by GordonLightfoot, Jul 2, 2010.

1. #1 GordonLightfoot, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010

Hey guys this is my first outdoor grow attempt. I have seemingly two plots that are right next to each other. I dug out the plots, brought in 3 trailers of compost, and a trailer of horse manure and roto tilled it all in to a nice mixture. I originally germinated around 100 or so sprouts (in case of animals, pests, disease, etc). and now i'm down to about 40 in the ground right now. I'm using some chemically derived ferts on a few of them at the moment (24-10-15, i believe). About half of the plants in the ground are random bagseed (some purple mr. nice guys, beasters, blue dream, and others much shittier). The other half are Power Africa feminized. I have 10 or so extra Power Africa sprouts that I'm not quite sure what to do with.

I started all of these a bit late as I got home from school for the summer. Germed them in a paper towel, planted in a perlite, compost mix in cups, then finally transplanted into the plots about 1.5 weeks ago (2nd-3rd week of June).

I planted 15 bagseed sprouts in the plots on June 1st preliminarily, to see what I would come up against. Just days after planted rabbits and deer ate all the sprouts. I got some animal stopper and applied it liberally around the plots, then planted a few more seedlings. It did not work at all. Therefor, I got some 4 ft metal posts and black mesh deer fencing and put that around the perimeter of the plots. It has worked beautifully.

-------------

The plot with the chain link fence is where the Power Africa is planted. The opposite plot is the bagseed.

Any tips or advice from experienced outdoor growers would be GREATLY appreciated!

--------------
    Power Africa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bag Seed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Hey man, looks like you have a perfect set-up going.

Will be watchin neighbor. ^^ 420 o_O (It always seems like I post at that time):smoke:

3. Just fertilized em yesterday (7/3/10). I just went out and checked them and they seem to have responded well to the nutes as well as the ample amount of rain we received this morning.

Does anybody think I'll need to aerate the soil?

4. Update #3

Just fertilized the bagseed plants today. We also received more rain this morning. I also have begun to tie down and LST the Power Africa plants to the chain link fence. The plants seem to be doing well except for some burning of some leaves on a few of them. I'm not quite sure if it's nute burn or not. I distributed 1 gallon of water mixed with 1 dose of ferts to all of the power africa plants last week. The fertilizer is chemically derived and consists of 24-8-16. Is that way too powerful for the plants?

Any thoughts are appreciated, Thanks guys.

Bag Seed Plot

[​IMG]

Bag Seed plant #1

[​IMG]

Bag Seed plant #2

[​IMG]

Power Africa LST #1

[​IMG]

Entire Plot

[​IMG]

Do you guys think this is from Nutrient burn?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. I just ordered the Fox Farm soil nutrient trio and Rooter's mycorrhizae. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide or feeding schedule for using these fox farm nutes on outdoor ganja?

6. Update #4

We got more rain yesterday. The plants are looking very healthy and most of them seem to finally be taking to the transplant, if not all of them. The LSTed Power Africa's are almost ready to be tied down again. My FF nutrients should be here next week, then it's time to really start the growth. No sign of sex yet from any of the plants (thank the lord). I'm hoping to get these bad boys to at least 3 feet before they switch over to flowering. Let's cross our fingers.

Bagseed Node shot

[​IMG]

Power Africa

[​IMG]

Plot Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. You have such a nice setup! I like seeing the difference between your strains. The Power Africa is a lot more long and thin, you know? Very cool. Subscribed :D

8. This looks to be a superb grow! Keep the updates coming

9. Your garden looks like it will be great. Here's hoping none of your plants go the way of the edmund fitzgerald eh gordon. Sending good vibes your way. +rep :hello:

10. Thanks Starling! glad to have you here.

Will do, Old Pork. I have read through your '08 and '09 grows, VERY nice.

Haha yes, let's hope she doesn't go down terribly. Thanks a lot man! Greatly appreciated guys.

11. MINI Update 4.5
    --------------------

I had a few extra Power Africa seedlings sitting in cups so I decided to not let them go to waste. I transplanted them into some small pots and stuck them out in a bean field. Here's hoping they make it to harvest!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Nutes arrived!

[​IMG]

12. Update #5
    --------------------

The plants are looking REAL good. There's only a few scragglers that haven't taken to the transplant yet, or are just slow. It turns out I have 27 plants in the bagseed plot and 16 Power Africas in the other plot. Plus 8 more Power Africa plants out in a bean field. Does this seem like overkill?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------------------------

Bagseed plant

[​IMG]

Power Africa

[​IMG]

Another Power Africa

[​IMG]

13. Update #6
    ---------------

Temp - 88 degrees
    Dew point - 76 degrees
    Feels like - 101 degrees

We had crazy storms blow through here today, we got 3 1/4 inches of rain in about an hour's time. 45 mph winds and only 2 or 3 plants bent over. 3 of the bagseed plants showed white pistils today! No sign of any of the other 40 plants showing sex yet so this doesn't make much sense to me. Possibly a ruderilis hybrid or something.

----------------------------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Few bent over during the afternoon storms...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Gordon,

I'm diggin the grow! Got a few questions for you. What is the fence on the ground for? Is the plant that is showing one of the larger ones? I have never grown a plant that does not show sex once it gets to about 6 weeks no matter what the light cycle. All of mine showed by middle of June.

The only thing I can say is give them a little more room next time at least 3-4 feet more is optimal, but not necesary.

I do not know for sure what the minor leaf damage is but if you suspect your overfeeding you probably are. Here's a great thread by AugustWest that can't be beat if your using store bought concentrates.

Good luck and Happy growing!

15. ya why do you have the fence on the ground? it's like youre trying to scrog it but...... that doesnt no good when the scrog is down on the base of the stems. when u scrog you do it to keep the plant short, so you would have the mesh/netting/fence up at the very top of the plant so it can grow up into it and get caught. also i do agree that the plants are also too close together. getting light to the lower branches will be a problem in a few weeks. like the location though. keep us updated. fox farm is the way to go.

16. Hey Patrio! The fence isn't there for scrog. I put it over the plot to tie the power africas to, as I LST them. It also helps to keep my weight from compacting the shit out of the soil when i'm stepping around in there. I couldn't care less about the bagseed plot however.

I ended up germing too many bagseed sprouts and they were all thriving in their cups so I just tossed them all in the one plot. Same with the Power Africa. Although I did space the PA out a lot more.

What latitude are you at? I'm located in central MN so i'm not quite sure when the plants will start flowering. The ones that have already shown aren't the biggest and they seem to have the sparsest of leaf sets.

17. Yeah it looks like they took a real beating from the heavy rains. Hope your soil has enough drainage for them to perk back up. Not unusual for plants to show sex this time of year, the days are getting shorter now and that signals flowering, not matter how small the plants are. Hope your next pics show those plants perked back up! 3.5 inches is a lot of rain and can drown plants if they get water logged. Best of luck your grow looks great. The number of plants you have is not overkill, unless they get to be 8 footers, they you may be in for a deluge of trim work!

18. Man i am not sure why no one has mentioned this, You're plants are way too close together! Security aside, I would pressume by seeing how much a MJ plants roots are over the years, they would have lots of roots fighting over space in that small square, Thus making all plants smaller and less yield .

In your pictures theres very small ones between the big ones, proves the point they are being screwed over and beat by the bigger plants. I am not sure but try to tesnsplant or remove?

I experimented on 15+ plants in one outside hole, 80% of it was ultra small and retarded, but 1-2 became super big in the hole.

19. We get weed-struck and go into a trance and just stare at the plants :) Kind of like star-struck except less interesting than seeing a celebrity in person :p

But seriously, now that I look at it, they're pretty darn close. I am more concerned about the amount of light the lower leaves will be getting once they get bigger rather than the root system. Can't the roots just spread elsewhere?

20. Update #6

Hey guys the plants have just been flourishing. We've received plenty of rain the past couple weeks but we've also gotten a ton of great sun light too. I went out and checked the plots this morning and the soil is still very damp. Its been great, I haven't had to water in at least 10 days.

8 of the bag seed plants have shown their sex, all female. No males yet which is very surprising.

The Power Africa plot is doing very well, i've only had to tie them down twice but i feel it's going to be time tomorrow to go out and do it again. It looks like a forest in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]