1st grow, GHS WW & HH...

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by dreambigbud, Apr 9, 2009.

1. #1 dreambigbud, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
    So after discovering this site last fall, reading the stickies, tons of threads and most importantly OP's epic GHS WW journal I decided to give it a shot this year.

I purchased 5 fem GHS WW & 5 fem Dutch Passion Hollands Hope which came with 5 non fem G13 skunk & 1 fem Pure Gold. I decided to try a couple inside to get a head start on the season, so 3 weeks ago I popped a WW seed into a solo cup of Miracle Grow Organic Potting soil, a few days later I decided to do the same to the fem Pure Gold. They're currently in a closet under 188watts of cfl (6500K) with a small fan and growing nicely.

After a week or so I decided to go shopping for supplies. At first I wanted to replicate OP's grow as best as possible but after the overload of information, I decided to make a few slight changes, but still very similar. I found a local nursery (I'm in the northeast US) which carries a product very similar to Pro-Mix BX called Berger BM1 (80% Peat, 20% Perlite/Vermiculite) and a few bags of this wonderful blend of soil called Isabelle - Mix 3, which includes Peat, Loam & Manure (100% organic). I also grabbed some Miracle Grow Organic Bone & Blood Meal, 5ft bamboo stakes, copper rings and moth balls.

I was planning on getting worm castings and going 100% organic but decided on Fox Farms Soil Trio for my nutes; Big Bloom, Grow Big & Tiger Bloom. Big Bloom is 100% organic (containing mostly worm castings, bat guano & norwegian kelp), the other two are mostly organic with some inorganic ingredients.

I plan on 6 plants, I know not too exciting, but I don't want to get too greedy and I'm doing this mostly for fun and personal pleasure :smoking: So last weekend I moved the first two girls from the solo cups to 5 gallon pots containing 50% BM1 & 50% of the Mix 3 soil. I've been giving them 1tbl spoon per gallon/water of FF Big Bloom the last week and they seem to like it! I also dug two of my holes last weekend and filled them approx. 40% BM1, 40% Mix 3, 20% native soil, plus a cup of Bone & Blood meal each. I plan on getting more bags of soil and digging the other 4 holes this weekend.

With there still being some snow on the ground up here Mid/end of May is about planting time. I'll be starting the other 4 seeds this weekend or next week sometime. I don't want them to get too big before I have to plant, closet space is at a premium. And the two ladies that are already under the lights should be 9-10 weeks before I plant, and if they keep growing like they are I might need a bigger closet :)

I hope to achieve 50% of OP's results. If I do I'll be very very pleased. Good Luck to everyone and let's have a wonderful 2009 grow together :hello:

Here's a couple pics of the first 2 ladies...

PG

[​IMG]

WW

[​IMG]

WW pic 2

[​IMG]

2. lookin good my man! cant wait to see the results of this one.

3. Very beautiful plants and great photography skills as well.

Thanks for sharing.

4. good looking grow

5. I too have ten Hollands Hope seeds, probably will germinate some tomorrow. Already have a box of others going, i have a journal going, feel free to check it out. The plants look great!

6. Magnifique, sweet lookin grow, I'll be dropping by from time to time!

Best of Luck!
    Indica Kid

7. Good luck! Nice and bushy too!

8. Nice tight growth and great pics, awesome!!

:D:smoking::D

9. Thanks guys :wave:

I picked up the rest of my soil/manure. I decided on more bags of the Isabelle Mix 3 (Peat, Loam and Manure) as well as a few bags of Isabelle composted manure (100% organic). Tomorrow I'll be digging the other 4 holes and mixing about 40% BM1 30% Mix 3 30% Manure, 1 cup Blood meal 1 cup Bone meal and I'll be adding manure to the first two holes I mixed last weekend.

I just popped 4 seeds (3 Hollands Hope & 1 White Widow) in 3 gallon pots mixed with 50% BM1 50% Mix 3. I probably should have started them in solo cups but decided to go straight to the 3 gallon pots.

So the seed breakdown (all feminized):
    1 Pure Gold
    2 GHS White Widow
    3 DP Hollands Hope

About six weeks or so until they go in the ground.

Here's a few pics from today with all 6 pots under cfl's...

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/dreambigbud/closetsetup.jpg

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/dreambigbud/PureGold-1.jpg

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/dreambigbud/WhiteWidow.jpg

10. Lookin good, keep it green!

11. Wow, how d'you get em so bushy Kallas? Great stuff :p.

12. that is one lovely plant right there, so thick and helthy its amazing
    keep up the good work this is just beautiful job man i'm looking and the pictrue and i tell you guys this is going to be one sweet smoke.

btw i'm in germing right now of x5 lowryder 2# and 1 disle ryder, its my first grow outdoor and i hope it will be amazing i learned alot here and i expect good results i will update photos on my jurnal soon as they pop out.

13. #13 OldPork, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
    Genetics is everything and you have made some fine choices. Those ARE bushy little monsters. The only time mine ever got that bushy was when I planted them in horseshit one summer many years ago. I had to yank them up because I lived in a row home and the neighbor was a real redneck. Mine always look spindly, sometimes I have to use pipe cleaners to stake them up, but then at some point they eventually catch on and grow like wildfire.

14. #14 dreambigbud, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks for stopping by everyone! :hello:

Well, I noticed two sets of foot prints in the snow about 50yards from where one of my spots WAS going to be...never can be too careful so I won't be using that portion of woods anymore. I think I'm going to wait a couple more weeks to dig the other 4 holes in my new spot. I have a couple places in mind and there's still a few patches of snow in the woods around here. So, I figure might as well wait until some of the trees start to fill in a bit, It'll give me a better idea of how much sun they'll be getting.

I've found a few breaks in the trees with patches of sticker bushes, not huge areas (about 50ft x 50ft or so) but there must be enough light if sticker bushes are growing, right? Anyone have experience growing in the woods where there are tall trees and then a small break in the canopy with plenty of sticker bushes? I've made a couple stops there this week at 10am and then 3pm, it looks to be direct light that entire time but once the leaves fill in it might not be exactly 5 hours+.

My spot with 2 holes already dug and mixed will be fine, 6-8 hours of sun easy. So, I guess 2 great plants and 4 so-so plants might not be so bad?

Anyway, the WW and Pure Gold I planted 4 weeks ago are taking off! The other 4 just broke ground last night/today and seem to be taking root just fine. Here's a few pics I took this afternoon...

Again, thanks for stopping by and any kind words or advice is greatly appreciated :)

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/dreambigbud/setup415.jpg

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/dreambigbud/PG415.jpg

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/dreambigbud/WW415.jpg

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/dreambigbud/2WW415.jpg

15. Setup
    [​IMG]

Pure Gold #1
    [​IMG]

White Widow
    [​IMG]

Second Set of Pics

Setup
    [​IMG]

Pure Gold
    [​IMG]

White Widow
    [​IMG]

White Widow Seedling
    [​IMG]

16. Thanks Indica Kid for posting my pics properly :hello:

I can't seem to figure it out lol

17. Good genetics + plenty of light = bushy plants

18. All 4 new seedlings are sprouted and looking good. They were leaning/stretching a bit b/c the lights didn't quite hover over the middle of the pots. The splitters aren't quite wide enough to accomodate two 3 gallon pots so I've added 4 more 26w bulbs and two more spitters. Each of the new sprouts has 2 26w bulbs hovering over them and the two bushy broads has a 42w a piece. 292w total. For 6 plants I assume that's about right.

We finally had a nice weather week up here in New England. It was 60-70 and sunny everyday this week! Probably doesn't seem all that great to folks in California, Florida or Spain but around here it feels like heaven :)

I decided to go ahead and top the WW and PG today. They both have 4/5 leaf sets already so I went ahead and gave it a chop. I followed the pic display in one of the stickies, so I think I did it right. I'll put up a pic of each. The PG shot came in pretty clear but I couldn't get the camera to focus properly on the WW.

Anyone have any advice on my previous post about the sticker bushes growing in openings in the forrest? I found a pretty secluded spot with about a 50ft x 50ft opening in the trees where there are plenty of sticker bushes and I thought about planting a few in the middle of them. Generally stickers only grow where there's at least 4-5 hours of direct sunlight, right?

Thanks for stopping by :smoking:

[​IMG]

Hollands Hope sprout

[​IMG]

PG

[​IMG]

WW

[​IMG]

PG topped

[​IMG]

WW topped

[​IMG]

Bushy beauties!

[​IMG]

19. Your plants are just so... poofy and squat, me gusta mucho! Now lets see some buds goddamnit, I am impatient!!!

Best Regards,
    Indica Kid

20. looking great man. how much are the splitters that you've got to put 2 CFLs in one fixture?