Dankohzee's '09 Organic Swamp Grow (Cantharis Style)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by dankohzee, Nov 15, 2008.

1. #1 dankohzee, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
    What's up Kiddies? Are you ready for another dankalicious season of trichonometric stinkiness? Me too! Indeed, I can't hardly wait!!!

This season i'm going to try something a bit different. I'm going to utilize a spot that I have been wanting to use for years--except it's a bit swampy. No worries though. Why? Well because i'm in the Grass City baby, and the coolest, most knowledgeable growers in the world can be found right here (especially now that the other forum is defunct), so even though I have absolutely no experience with this sort of growing, I have access to the collective wisdom of the entire city. And I plan to use it.

After a couple of years of lurking around here, I have come to respect the know-how of quite a number of people. Old Pork, Hashmouf, Augustwest, and yes, the infuriating, anti-american, sarcastic wizard of the 50 liter pot:Cantharsis,lol.

Cantharsis, for those of you who don't know, has many years experience growing in containers on the rooftops of Spain. I have also found him to be extremely hip to the sometimes confusing nuances of organic fertilization. So basically, even though this is my grow, i'm going to stand on the shoulders of Cantharsis, and copy what he has done. After all, he gets better yields in a pot than some of us do in the ground(I just hope he doesn't piss me off again like he did last season, because then i'll be stuck with his name on my thread. What exactly is a Cantharsis anyway?).

Of course, i'll have a few in the ground too, just in case.

Here's the deal. I currently have:

10 femmed GHS White Widow (thanks again for the info Pork)
    10 GHS Femmed Strawberry Haze
    10 femmed Barney's Farm Sweet Tooth
    5 non-fem Mazar I Sharif freebies from Seedboutique

In addition to these seeds, I intend on picking up:

5 Femmed Autos for my dad to try outdoor in his flower garden (my pops rules! He's seventy and he still grows herb!)
    5 Femmed Sativa seeds. Maybe early pearl, Opium, Or G-13 Haze

Also this year I will be purchasing a BubbleNow machine to simplify my hash making duties which will be considerable with such frosty strains.

Here's the rules of this thread:
    1) Don't be an ass

I don't mind if people post pics as long as they pertain to what is being discussed (or if you're one of the peeps I mentioned above, or one of my other GC associates in good standing, lol).

Most of all, though, I want to explore the possibility of utilizing swamp land for cannabis production. After all, swamps are unpleasant to travel through, so often they are very safe. Quite frequently there is minimal shade in these areas too. And they are very, very green, so they conceal the Ganja plant well. I think just about anyone reading this can probably think of at least one spot nearby that might work for this kind of grow--at least those of us who don't live in the southwest any way.

2. #2 dankohzee, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
    So I found a site that sells 25 gallon blow molded containers--and then I lost it again. But I pllan on finding it again and giving you all the link. Later. Anyway, they're black and flimsy and won't be able to be moved much once they are filled. I think they were like 50 for 10 of them.

3. But what's the hurry, right?

Maybe a arrogant display of pride would be in order. Let me show off (again) a few of my favorite shots from last year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Sounds promising... Ive always thought of dropping some seeds in wetland area.. lots of water and sun for sure.

5. And more:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was quite a season--but nothing compared to what we'll do this year GC! Overgrow the government 2009? Maybe. Just maybe.

6. Very impressive photo's! Are you strictly an outdoors grower? I'm going with the widow as well next season in addition to G13 haze, Flying Dutchman G-Force, Alaskan Ice and maybe Wonder Woman again (which is very suseptible to mold) in all 15 plants depending on viabilty of the seeds. I'd post pics but I haven't figured out how, I'm a not very tech savvy middle aged guy. Like you I can hardly wait................

7. cantharis

(kăn'thər-ĭs) [​IMG]
    n., pl. can·thar·i·des (kăn-thăr'ĭ-dēz'). In both senses also called Spanish fly.

1. A brilliant green blister beetle (Lytta vesicatoria or Cantharis vesicatoria) of central and southern Europe.
    2. cantharides (used with a sing. or pl. verb) A toxic preparation of the crushed, dried bodies of this beetle, formerly used as a counter-irritant for skin blisters and as an aphrodisiac.

8. #9 Norma Stits, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    GL with the grow man.. I'm curious to see how that new bubble machine works out for you. Keep us posted please.

Those strains look nice.. have you run them before?

i think you chose one hell of a grower to model your grow after. I've been a huge fan of cantharis' suff ever since i joined GC

9. dankohzee, you sure are a flatterer. And I am trying hard not to be rude to people nowadays.

10. are you saying you gladly suffer fools now? :)

11. welcome to the swamper club:hello: lookin forward to watching this grow this year:wave:

12. I wouldn´t quite go that far, LOL.

13. Ha! That's what I'm talking about. This is going to be ton of fun because If anything goes wrong it won't be my fault. But if everything goes perfectly, i'll take all the credit:D
    [​IMG]

Okay so there's the group shot thus far. The pics following will give you an idea of what i mean by swamp in this particular context. Even in the rainy season this area is navigable without wetting ones Asics.

[​IMG]

Though a pair of old sweats are required because there are a lot of those things that stick to your clothes and don't ever want to come out.
    [​IMG]

Everything you see here is the greenest of green until the first frost. This grass i'm standing in is about five feet tall until about June when a brisk wind will pick up and blow it flat like it is in the pic. But it still stays green.

[​IMG]

But even though it won't wet your feet when walking, if you were to dig here you would hit water in less than a 12 inches. Planting in the ground is not an option. What I plan on doing is lining the perimeter of this area, all along the tree/brush line about every 12 to 14 feet I will put a 25 gallon pot. I'll place these early so that the grass will grow up around the base and act as insulation from the summer heat. But according to my technical advisor, these ganja trees will be so big they'll shade the pots perfectly and heat won't be a prob.

14. #15 dankohzee, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008

I've never grown any of them August. The Strawberry Haze is my girl's pick. My expectations on those are low because i've only seen one report and the growers results were mediocre. True to haze form, they also finish late. They may go in the ground in a shadier area to keep the frost off them if it grows late. But in actuality, I doubt i'll grow more than two of them. Probably give the rest of the seeds away

The Widow is a strain I have wanted to grow for years, but at the last second I always changed my mind or found a great deal on somethings else.

The Sweet Tooth I have also wanted to grow for a long time. Anything with Grapefruit in its lineage is okay by me.

The Mazars are freebies. I'll probably grow them gorilla style on my neighbor's land(he's got miles of it, so why not?).

I'm alittle worried about rot resistance on the Sweet tooth, though. Anybody have any info on this?

BTW, I hope you all like pics, cuz this is going to be the most picturesque spot in the city!

15. #16 OldPork, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2008
    With your green thumb and what I know first hand of those seeds in the gold disk and what with growing in that spot, this will be a magnificent grow. You'll have to whip up a good soil mix. I've had good luck with a base mix of Promix BX fortified with worm castings

16. yeah man i agree.. grapefruit is one of my favs, and really hard to come by it seems. I grew out some Grapefruit x Blueberry from chimera/DJ Short which from what i understand is really similar to the sweet tooth... you wont be disappointed at all.

I'm curious to see the outdoor haze... you seem to have that plan figured out..

again, best of luck man.

17. I cant wait to see how this turns out its gonna be a beuty. GL I'll definetley pull up a chair.

18. i love outdoor pics man. When you gonna let me come hit that bowl? it looks beast!

:D

-ksimms

19. Ksimms! Where the hell have you been? How did last year's crop turn out? Man I was worried about you for a while until I saw that you had been popping into that other forum on occasion. Those were some early beauties you had. I'd love to see some pics from later in the season.