General Organics info needed

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by leftkidney, Oct 30, 2011.

1. well I have decided to switch over form FoxFarm to General Organics mainly because I know someone who owns a store and the GO line is much cheaper to get at wholesale then foxfarm is - no problem with foxfarm I love it but I like the idea of all organic and I dont want to mess with all the stuff a friend I know does with crazy brews and stuff that stink his whole house up like total shit

my question is does anyone have and experience using this and what is the best way to do things - what I mean is how to mix it, what to mix first or last depending on if something should be mixed all the way before something else is added in or whatever

is it needed to have a whole container of water first then pour in the stuff, or can I pour it in as its filling up to help with mixing it - I am going to be mixing 1 gal or about 4 liter containers and maybe a 5 gal or about 20 liter container at max - what stuff can and cant be used with this line, like what about Hygrozyme and Superthrive is the hygrozyme needed as much and do I need to use the CaMag+ as often if I am using soil

what I am looking for is something like what I learned using foxfarm that wasnt mentioned anywhere else and that is to mix the powdery stuff into hot water and then the big bloom and tiger bloom after a min or so and then cold water as its mixing up if I didnt do that I ended up with particles in the container and hot water seamed to "melt" everything like sugar in hot coffee and it was way better that way

any help would be great

2. hmmm, mixing with water. sounds like stoner science to me. ;) I've never heard of anyone doing that. You should keep in mind that there is a lot of mumbo jumbo out there in the cannabis world and organics is no exception.

My advice? Read the stuck topics here. Forget about bottled nutes and the idea/paradigm of feeding your plants. What you want to do is treat your compost/container mix like a nutrient bank. You make a rich bank, then you do everything you can to make a healthy environment for soil microorganisms. These microorganisms live around the cannabis roots in a symbiotic relationship (the cannabis roots draw these critters to them). The critters are the ones that draw upon the nutrient bank and then pass the easily assimilated nutrients on to the roots.

Get to reading. :)

3. well I have read lots about organics and I still dont understand some things

I have been growing for 10+ years and know just about all the mumbo jumbo there is about growing, also I have had the best stuff around in my area for years, not to tell where I live or anything but I went to the medical marijuana cup of sotrs that was in Detroit MI in Oct and I was told that mine was some of the best there is by many people who were "experts" and judges - everything was grown in FoxFarm at that point but in the past I used to use Ionic, then GH's 3,2,1 stuff, then floranova, and finally foxfarm - now I want to use GO

with Ionic I was using hydro with 8" rockwool cubes on tables with a drain to waste system but I would keep a resie for 4-5 days before changing it out with fresh stuff

with GH's 3,2,1 I was using aeroponics with a custom made 12" pvc system, it was a recirculating system that I changed every day and cleaned everything just about, what a pain!

and the floranova was smartpots and coco with corse perlite on tables with me mixing each plant separately and watering to a waste bucket

foxfarm is using 60% sunshine #4 mix with 40% ocean oceanforest forfarm soil in large plastic pots that are labeled as 7 gal but when I put a trash bag into them to soak cubes it held 12 gal so I am not sure about 7 gal

I want to stay soil, probably just use sunshine #4 mix only now but I want to use the GO line

however I have LA Confidential and OG Kush so I would expect it to be really good, the LA is really easy to grow I have given clones to friends of mine who know nothing and have killed clones of other stuff and they have no problems with LA - (also I am working on a day-by-day set of pictures of my LA growing and flowering so look for that in my posts in the future)

so now I want to go to soil and organics so I have more time to chill, I assume that there is less work growing in soil seeing as I dont have any waste water to clean up

4. Foxfarm is crap not to be too blunt and I'm not saying ur herb wasn't good either. Here is a great thread where I started wig organics. It uses sunshine 4 and the guano teas are also great but pretty hot, some people don't agree with guano but if ur just starting it's an easy way to make teas and get great yields of juicy buds.

Organics for Beginners - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

Once you get a better understanding the higher learning thread by LD has some amazing info just started using aact as a foliar with incredible results.

5. well first I must say that fox farm might be crap but I tell you it worked great, when I told the guys at the convention I used fox farm they were surprised it was this good and told me to switch to something else right away because if I made this with that better stuff must make even better stuff

the only reason I was using it was because I was helping my uncle who had a setup already in place from someone else and thats what he had so we just continued to use it but when I started helping him I we started to have way better stuff, maybe I just knew more then he did or I was better at it but everyone he knows said it got way better when I started helping - I just hope it gets even better with the GO

also talking to a friend who has many degrees and 2 phd's in botany, and biochemical engineering and molecular biology, he told me that if you get the ratios just right it dont matter much what fertilizer you use you will get the same results its just the taste will probably be different but the overall quality should be the same - he grows test gardens for nasa with aeroponics setups that are sosposta be similar to what will be used in the proposed upcoming mission to mars for food aboard the ship on the ride there, they are using chemical fertilizer not organic but there is a test setup using organic

6. #6 Downgirl2182, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
    There are so many better products to use the the General organics line my GC friend. Please do not take offense to what people are telling you and dont think we are trying to feed you false info because the only false info you are getting are from the people at General Organics. Please read the stick Organic Higher Learning that LD wrote. It will cover about 80% of what you need to know and some of the best products to use in organics. One thing I would like to point out is bottled "organic" nutes are rarely organic. I would suggest trying a few small things out first and start adding more complicated things as you learn. Your first organic supplies you should buy are Kelp meal, Alfalfa meal and some Earthworm castings. Just using these 3 supplies would be more than sufficient to get you started and you could use them all through your grow if you wanted. Hell Kelp alone you could probably use alone. Start with a Base soil such as sunshine mix or Promix which contains no amendments or goodies then buy an amended soil such as fox farms or any good organic soil that contains things such as the products I listed above or Guano, Yucca extract , aloe vera, or fish bone meal, I like to use a ratio of 4 parts amended soil to 2 parts non amended soil and of course always use at least 25% aeration component such as perlite or pumice. You really cant go wrong with what I just wrote above. When you start learning more you can start reading into BIM's,(beneficial Indigenous Microorganisms) FPEs(Fermented Plant extracts) and Mother culture(Lactobacillus) , compost teas and the like. I think the one thing people misunderstand about organics is , its not about what amendments or "fertilizers" you use to grow your plants but about how you grow your soil and how you feed and grow the soil biology (soil critters) that ultimately are responsible for keeping your babies happy and healthy. If you have a dead soil and believe me you will if you use these bottled nutes because of the hidden properties they dont want you to know about, then there is no point in going organic at all in the first place. The man you want to talk to on these forums and read all the posts and threads by is Lumperdawgz. He has a wealth of information regarding literally anything and I mean ANYTHING when it comes to organics and he can also pin point those bad hidden properties that these companies use in their products. He is one of the organic soldiers on the front line to get these horrid and falsified products off the organic market. However make sure you educate yourself first as much as you can because like most people on this forum we expect you to learn and educate yourself as much as possible first because we are not your own google search bar haha.

7. I guess I should rephrase things, I dont really care about being "organic" I just am asking for info about General Organics fertilizer - if its not really ture organic I dont care thats not what I want to talk about and I dont want a lession on organics my friend brews his own stuff and I am sure he can tell me whatever I need to know but again I dont care I am asking about the General Organics fertilizer

I am looking for a good simple fertilizer thats going to make good buds and if this works then great - I will ahve to check with the proper places to see if its actually certified organic or veganic but I am having my friend take some of the grow and bloom and run it through a mas-spec and see whats actually in there, who knows if it will show anything useful but we got access to one and it sounds cool so I will see if we can give it a try

on a side note last year we tested a sample of out stuff (la confidential) and came out saying 22.4% thc by volume, but since we dont have a test sample of pure 100% thc we are pretty sure its not an accurate reading there were also some disturbing other things in there that were under .01% but it was things like blood, plastic, aluminum, sugar, and what must be a few insects and we though everything was clean never saw any insects and for sure never saw and blood! so if you run a sample and its sosposta be clean I think you will be surprised at what is in there, lol

8. Then may I respectfully suggest you gtfo of the organics forum.

9. ^that made me lol. i found this thread because I, myself am trying to find more info on General Organics. Like he said it is cheaper wholesale through my hydro shop and since thats the price I pay I was going to give it a shot. Unlike leftkidney I do care if this shit is 100% organic because I dont want dead soil. Im using a mix of foxfarm ocean mix and foxfarm potting soil and about 20% perlite. If General Organics isnt going to cut it, what should I use? I used bio root on my cuttings and just brought home bio grow for the veg phase but havent started it yet and i can always take them back!

10. This thread is for organics.. If you want information on growing the easy and toxic way this is definitely not the section to be browsing about in. Please be more precise as to where you are posting.

Baller there is a wealth of info on organics and what to use in this thread but I will give a quick breakdown for your need.
    Cuttings/Clone: Aloe Vera, silica and liquid seaweed
    Veg phase: kelp meal/alfalfa meal/Earthworm castings
    Flower: Same as above and maybe some soft rock phosphate, bat guano and/or bone meal/ fish bone meal

The end:)
    Remember this is in general what you could use and keeping it simple. Pound for pound you save way more money. It may seem more expensive at first depending on how much you need. However one quart of bottled nutes will not last nearly as long as a 5 lbs bag of kelp or alfalfa. By the time you have went through maybe a 1/4 of your bag of kelp or alfalfa you would have used nearly your whole bottle already.
    If you are interested more in organics read all the sticky posts. This will give you more than enough info to start out with and remember keep it simple until you learn more.

11. Wee......I'm going to respectfully ask you not to talk to our members this way. This isn't a "my way or the highway" forum and we want our members to feel welcome.

Leftkidney, most of the folks here are growing organically with a living soil and have weened themselves off of the bottle. The fact that you're here and exploring your options is great.

I know a lot of our members here at GC that use Fox Farms products and do quite well with it. Here in the the organics section we have some philosophical differences in the way we want our meds grown.

We try to build our own soils from raw products. We grow plants/weeds that we make our own fertilizers from. We amend our soils with dry seed and marine meals to feed the soil microbiology. We make our own compost and worm castings.

Most importantly, IMO.....we try not to support the big corporate machines that are running the medical MJ community.

Welcome to GC,

chunk

12. I have little respect for anyone who comes into an organic forum saying they don't care for organics, and then try to pump people here for information.

Respect is earned, not given.

13. [quote name='"chunkdaddyo"']

Wee......I'm going to respectfully ask you not to talk to our members this way. This isn't a "my way or the highway" forum and we want our members to feel welcome.

Leftkidney, most of the folks here are growing organically with a living soil and have weened themselves off of the bottle. The fact that you're here and exploring your options is great.

I know a lot of our members here at GC that use Fox Farms products and do quite well with it. Here in the the organics section we have some philosophical differences in the way we want our meds grown.

We try to build our own soils from raw products. We grow plants/weeds that we make our own fertilizers from. We amend our soils with dry seed and marine meals to feed the soil microbiology. We make our own compost and worm castings.

Most importantly, IMO.....we try not to support the big corporate machines that are running the medical MJ community.

Welcome to GC,

chunk[/quote]

Much love for true humility. An open mind for teaching is as important as an open mind for learning. But in WD's defense this guy is being an arrogant douche and needs to be humbled. If you got a NASA buddy why do you bother to ask this forum. You should embrace the information offered to you here and be thankful. This is a small handful of self motivated,self educated, and very experienced cultivators that are GIVING you gold not selling it to you.

As per your bottle of go there. You have roughly $1.50 worth of inorganically processed "organic" material "enriched" with vitamins and minerals yada yada. Mixed into $0.002 worth of water. It in now way feeds the soil or promotes biologicals due to it's chelation as well as dilution and I can personally vouch that it works for shit as a base nutrient. When you buy something pre made and packaged they have to tell u what's in it. They don't have to tell you how much of most of it and sometimes can go ahead and not tell you at all and ride it till they get a fine from the regulators. But when you use tried and true materials yourself then you know exactly what an how much from the ground up no mysteries. If u don't care about organics then throw that shut away and go back toying fox farm or start reading. People here will show you the direction but nobodies gonna hold your hand bro

14. so my problem was thinking that I could get help with a product called "general organics" in the "organics" section, maybe there should be a section for bottled fertilizers that are called "organic" because everyone thinks I am talking about "general organics" as in "general info about organics growing"

has anyone even tried this product here? maybe its not actually "organic" I have subculture B&M in there so it should have something living in there - has anyone even used this before saying its no good?

I have had many people over the years tell me I dont know anything about what I am doing after I explain my growing setup but every single one has said that I have great stuff after seeing the finished product and trying it and some dont believe that I grew it, I guess all haters cant be pleased

I guess like in the past when I looked for info about growing all I got was a bunch of people telling me different things and saying one person was wrong over another, all I got was bad info so I just figured it out for my self, so thanks for nothing

15. #15 Downgirl2182, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
    Left I will tell you before I became well in depth with organics and learning what products are and are not organic i did use General Organics Bio Marine in the first part of my grow with no ill effects. It made for a great fish hydrosylate at the time but I found something better since. I myslef liked the product and thought it worked well. I also had some CalMg + and you can still use it on soil but if you planned on ever amending your soil which I highly doubt you wouldnt really need it. Epsom Salts would be good enough on its own to use. Its readily available and you probably already have some. Look man we are trying to be dicks(or my case bitch) but the way you came off to both me and Wee about organics was slightly rude when all we wanted to do was help you. You are probably right their should be a section for bottled ferts or something close to it so this does not happen again. Also believe me wehen I say no one in the organics forum is hating on you. We just hate toxic chemicals in our medicine.

EDIT: I meant to say we arent trying to be dicks. Shit I f-ed that up :( To high I suppose haha.

16. #16 WeeDroid, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
    If you want help, ask, don't belittle. It's as simple as that. ;)

Many of us are organic because we are passionate about it on many levels. Political, health, etc. If you had bothered to read some of the stickies here, that might become readily apparent to you. In particular I recommend the topic here on Monsanto to truly understand why many of us here are organic. We're literally fighting for our lives.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/936773-monsanto-heads-up-thread.html

As far as bottled nutes go, the hydro section might be of more help. To be quite honest, I did get the wrong end of the stick when I read your title. I thought you were asking about general organics knowledge, not about the line of General Organics products. For that I apologize. It's been a very tough week at work and I am very tired, often posting from my iPhone in a noisy, chaotic environment.

17. You know what Wee? Why anyone wouldn't want to fight the corporations and fight for their rights are beyond me. Why would anyone not want to grow organically wether it be the herb or your own produce also stuns me. All I know is my children and some day my grandchildren will be the generation to stop this I hope. The fact companies are pumping our food full of shit and toxic waste without any remorse really pisses me off.

18. Leftkidney,
    I have a friend who had all kinds of trouble growing decent plants while trying to stay organic. He would get 85% of everything right then screw something up, call me over to try and fix it. Sometimes we could, sometimes we could not. He is now using General hydroponics regular line, 3 part i think, and his grow is outstanding. He just uses it as directed and he no longer worries about humic content or anything else he really did not understand. He does a big flush prior to harvest and his gear tastes nice.

So my advice would be to try, a good proven line, and read about growing organically in a living soil. I would be learly of using a bottled organic line, myself. It just does not fit my style i guess. While your learning you will have meds growing, and that just might ease the transition, and be less confusing....whatever you try best of luck....MIW

19. Politeness goes a long way. You'd be surprised.

I'm just saying. Cant we all get a lawn?

jerry.

20. Getting people to understand what we do is a process and we can't help them if we chase them off. The fact that someone comes here to begin to understand organics is a step in the right direction.

Leftkidney, you're right when you say that in the past you've encountered conflicting information. It happens on every cannabis board and will continue to happen. You have to sort through the information and put what you've learned to work.

IMO, here's what's happening in the cannabis industry........as the number of growers increases, so does the awareness of the different methods of growing. There are a lot of smart people that are beginning to understand that cannabis is just another plant and doesn't require hundreds of dollars of bottled nutrients to grow.

This awareness is hurting the bottom line so these corporations are creating bottled organic nutrients to stay competitive. Hey, it's just business......we can't argue with people wanting to stay competitive.

The deal is (for me anyways) that I/we don't have to nourish our plants by bottle feeding them. We've learned here and elsewhere how to nourish them like any other plant which is by creating a living soil that is alive with organisms. We water them.......hit them with an occasional tea or liquid fish and we're done.

Finally, we're here to help and we don't need to have huge egos to do it......Thanks for keeping it civil everybody.

chunk