Aquaponics and light choices to grow food that's worth the time and $$

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by CommanderInReef, Mar 22, 2011.

1. #1 CommanderInReef, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
    First of all I'm posting this here because I plan to do the following as an organic flood table setup (using Bio-Bizz), or as an aquaponics setup....possibly even considering soil filled tray with drippers. The second reason I am posting here is to avoid all the senseless banter I'd probably get in the lighting forum for inquiring about LED lights. And lastly, because I highly value the input of the people that hang around this forum.

I'm considering building up a 2' X 4' X 7" aquaponic flood tray setup to grow micro/salad greens, basil, cilantro, spring onions, chives/garlic chives, jalapenos/chillies, cherry tomatoes. I would like to use Nile Talapia and try to figure out what lighting will work best without costing more than it would cost me to just buy organics produce (which it about a 25 min. drive to Whole Paychecks).

Does anyone have any experience with building simple aquaponic setups or links to any good information? I understand the basics, but would like to see what all my options are before I start buying parts to build a setup. I'm currently just thinking of building up a 1" PVC frame to hold the tray and lights and res/tank, and just closed off with B&W plastic. Nothing crazy fancy............yet. :rolleyes:

Also does anyone have any experience with any LED makers out there in terms of growing plants such as the ones listed above? I'm a little lost in regard to gauging performance/power of the available units. I am able to get LED setups from a few manufacturers at cost as I have a retailers license, so keep that in mind. Am I just better using T-5s?

Think "Cheap organic food and fish" for me to eat. I like the idea of aquaponics not only for being able to have fish to eat, but also because of it's ecological cycle resulting in very little waste. Where I plan to set this up in conveniently right next to a sump pump pit and right adjacent to my RO system (i.e. - easy tie in and waste disposal).

Any help, links, ideas, super geeky ideas, master plans are all greatly appreciated. I'm open to making this a community fueled project in finding cheap, eco-friendly and effective ways to grow clean organic food at home.

TIA.

2. first let me ask you this, are you planning on using the water from the fish tank to flood your tray? or planning on doing what i consider a "basic" aquaponics system, which would basically be a tray of plants floating on the surface sorta like a dwc setup (which is the style of aquaponics i am currently setting up)

like you i am fairly new to aquaponics, and anything i can learn will be greatly appreciated. ive seen a few grows on here using aquaponics but none of them were nearly as complex as what i believe you're trying to accomplish. most of them were basically DWC systems w/ fish and other marine life in the res with the plants floating in net pots at the surface.

3. I have actually not heard about doing it in the fashion you have described. Guess that's why I have all you you around to pick your brains. To answer your question, yes I plan to do a setup where it will flood the tray and suck it back down using a siphon when it hits the required level...unless someone poses pluses in regard to using a different method.

Gonna be following this guys "Glow Panel Grow Off": YouTube - Kanaal van ProZachJ

...wish he had used clones, but better than nothing. Oddly enough these are two companies panels that I can get at cost.

4. this is just going by what i have read on here about led lighting. i am honestly not sure if LED lights would put out enough lumens for proper growth of the micro organisms that aquaponic systems thrive on. i personally plan on using a 4 lamp t12 fixture for my setup (this light will be free in about 3 weeks, using it for flowering now). like i mentioned earlier from what ive seen on LED grows im honestly not impressed, the cost efectiveness vs. growth rate and yield are not worth the hassle. id go w/ t5s or HID if possible. just my .02

5. if you are just using the tilapia(or other good aquaponic fish) water for nutes, you will have a abundance of nitrogen but not much else, I believe. That is why most aquaponics with tilapia grow lettus and other N loving plants and not much else(tomato's peppers), unless you add nutrients before it goes to your plants and filtration after. The extra steps usually add complexity to the system and extra work. I raise channel cats for food and use the water to irrigate my garden, but I do not have a soil-less system.

6. Howdy Commanderinreef,

Check out this site about Aquaponics. There is some pretty useful information about integrating the raising of fish as well as growing vegetables in the same environment.

Traditionally, the plants/vegetables are grown hydroponically in aquaponics, but in a coco based soil less medium you should be able to achieve what you're trying to do with the big tray.

Props on the idea and good vibes to you in getting it figured out.

HTH

chunk

7. Just picked up a brand new 55gal fish tank for cheap. This project will happen slowly, but won't really start until the Portable Perpetual Veggie Grow Cart is finished and has the timing tuned in. May share a picture of that project if I get a second. It's almost done, and should have my first round of seeds in dirt tonight.