Soy Protein Hydrolysate?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by bodhisattva, Feb 26, 2010.

1. I am currently growing with simple AACT's.

I have seen in Roots Buddha Grow/Bloom that they use Soy Protein Hydrolysate..I cannot find anything on this at all??

Anyone know what this is, (if it's a fancy name for something else), and what the NPK is? I cannot find any product that is liquid Soy Protein Hydrolysate.

I am trying to replace Fish Hydrolysate, and thought this may work.

2. Some n-p-k information. Reasonably consistent weights and ratios of 7-2-1. My initial takeaway is that GMO soybean meal has a high level of toxicity to some plant species. This being the case one wants to know if the meal is GMO or not. No test dta, of course, on the effect on cannabis.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/programs/ncorganic/research/soy.html

Soybean Meal
    7 % Nitrogen
    2 % Phosphorus
    1 % Potassium
    · Commonly available animal feed
    · Cost $9.50/lb or $360/ton at time of study
    · Allowed by National Organic Program

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/sites/default/files/documents/LC437OrganicFertilizersValuesrev.pdf

Soybean Meal (dry) 6.5-1.5-2.4

http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPrinterFriendlyPub.aspx?P=G6220

Soybean meal
    Nitrogen (N) 7 percent
    Phosphorus (P2O5) 2 percent
    Potassium (K) 2 percent
    Relative availability of nutrients - Medium

http://cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/234.pdf

Soybean Meal - Used primarily as an animal feed product. Available bagged at many feed stores.

Typical NPK analysis 7-2-1
    Release time 1-4 months
    Pros: High nitrogen, available at feed stores
    Cons: Almost half of the conventionally grown soy is GMO
    Application 8 pounds per 100 square feet

3. LD and Poss- thanx for the clarification.

Ok, so it looks like soy meal broken down with enzymes, just like the fish, but a much different NPK. I was looking to directly replace my 2-4-1 fish hydrolysate, and had hoped there was a "quick" pre made liquid soy that was near to same NPK.'

4. bod, it seems the agricultural jury is still out on the soy hydrolysate as a nutrient. Results with using the GMO soybean meal are seemingly unanimous for toxicity and can really wreck havoc with germination and shoot growth.

In one of the threads I posted I'm pretty sure there is a reference to a liquid soy supplement by brand name. But the name slips my mind right now.

5. Yep indeed!

Good post, Possuum38North, IMHO.

Peace..................

LD

6. I do use non-GMO soy bean meal because I know the source (PNW) specifically.

Having said that, I only mix about 5% soy bean meal for my 'seed meal mix' - I'm still on the fence on even using this soy product.

YMMV

LD

7. Yeah, I don't want any GMO in my brews period.

I'll just skip it and move on.

LD- I trust that the simplici tea food packs with the soy are non-gmo? I sent an email, but waiting to hear back.

8. bodhisattva

Absolutely - the owner, Tad Hussey, is pretty much a legend in the AACT field. In fact, in the book "Teaming With Microbes" it's photos from one of his field tests using his brewer and food packs that appear in the Compost Tea chapter.

BTW - a revised edition of this book is available. And while very little in the book was changed, there is a new chapter on the science behind inoculating soil with mycorrhizal fungi - that chapter alone is worth the price of the revised edition, IMHO

At Yahoo.com there is an email list run by the author of Teaming and several people from around the world participate and is worth to sign-up. It's usually only 3 or 4 posts per day so you won't be filling your email with spam.

LD

9. LD, by your recommendation on another site I ordered the teaming book, the revised edition, and then from the SFI I have some of Dr.Ingram's stuff on order.

I will check out that yahoo list for sure.

10. Nice thread and a good read. Soy protein hydrolysate was a new one to me.