Miracle-Gro Organic Potting Soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ojosrojos, Jun 16, 2009.

1. #21 cantharis, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2009

Can´t buy FF stuff here - I mix my own, best and cheapest. Contains peat/forest product substrate, sand, volcanic rock, grit, horseshit, wormcasts, garden compost, crushed eggshell. I mixed 170 gallons for a total materials outlay of €85. That´s 50 cents a gallon for the best available.

2. MG Organic potting soil works fine. I picked out all of the pieces of bark and added 25% perlite. Hell of a lot better than the cheap Walmart top soil I was using.

3. I mixed up over a thousand gallons for around $250-300. Now I'm not going to say it's as nutritious as FFOF, but organics is all about feeding the soil--so it doesn't need to be as rich as that as long as a rounded nute is used.

4. dude fuck the bullshit, after you get a grow or two under your belt, you'll realize the best soil is the soil you make yourself.

and honestly, fuck paying for dirt (for more than one season anyways...buy a bag or 3 of amendments and work them into your soil, and work with what you've got)

5. Amending native soil is the way to go. First you need to know what your native soil properties are. You can determine this by adding liquid fabric softener to a few jars of water next take samples of dirt from the planting area and add to jars. Shake the shit out of it and then let it settle. Aggregate and sand will fall out first followed by fines and organic material (if any) will be left at top. Now you can analyse the samples to determine soil make up (clay, sand, silt, loam). Most native soils are heavy and can use up to 1/3 organic compost (i get some awesome shit from the county for less than $5/cy). Adding sand and/or perlite will help lighten soils additionally but can be expensive...I always add green sand for an organic long term (5yr) Potassium source, it also breaks up clay soils. The other two ingredients i always add are Kelp meal and worm castings; these acts as catalysts to get the soil micro organisms thriving....

"and second...fox farm is some bullshit overpriced soil.
    its good....but wayy over priced.
    i get the same soil with the same exact ingredients. for 25% of the price."

Overpriced yes. Same ingredients as MGO not even close.....I highly recommend if your going to do a small grow in containers spending the extra $$ for FFPS is well worth it.

6. His quote is 3 germed seeds so name calling is completely unnecessary.

7. Im using MG organic to help the texture of my soil. 25% perlite, 10% vermiculite, 50% wormcastings. 10% spangnum peat moss. I rocked 2 cups of blood meal 1 cup of bone meal hand full of espoma potash(0-0-60)...handfull of espoma gardening lime...handful of epson salt.

caution for the Mg organic...i think it might contain alot of fungus nats...ive read alot of posts about it and i am also dealing w/ this problem...could be us...could be random bags...could be all of it...time will tell

8. #28 Fungardner, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009

I have used MG soil & products for many years with excellent results. I mix 50-50 native soil with MG soil so that when I transplant outdoors, the plant is used to the soil found at the plot. I know some who swear MG is not good however, I have also found out that many people are in too much of a hurry to get their plants growing and try to speed things up by adding this & that in too strong of amounts. The idea of more is better is why they get poor results. Just remember that MG has nutes in it so I follow this rule of thumb, I let the plant get 3 sets of leaves before adding any more nutes. Then I dilute 5-5-5 in a ratio starting at 70% water & 30% 5-5-5 in a spray bottle. During the next 6 weeks i increase it to 50-50 mix and leave it at that.

Peace,
    FG

9. Howdie,

I've been a long time "lurker" here, finding tons of awesome info. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to contribute here, btw.

but to the topic,

I've used that MG Organic Potting Soil, and had the same problem with fungus nats. I smeared some Tanglefoot around the rim of the pots, and hit the soil with a misting of insectacidal soap. That took care of the problem until I used more of that soil.

I think I'll try that 'baking it in the oven' trick next time I use it.

I had a few going in Hyponix (really cheap jmart soil - turns to cement if it's not amended) but no nats.

Besides that, I think it's ok soil, and probably the easiest organic soil to find for most folks.

10. Its actually poultry liter, not steer. It says so on the bag.

11. See attached file. MG (Scotts) uses different ingredients depending on where you live.

There have been several reports of it containing ground up trash and creating gnat issues.

Your better off buying peat moss and some organic soil amendments (kelp meal, green sand, worm castings, bone meal) and amending your soil with that.

Attached Files:

12. I wonder what the difference between the Miracle-Gro Garden Soil and Potting Soil is?

Besides the Garden Soil not being recommended for pots that is.

13. I want to get some foxfarm for my next grow but i live in the New England and I can't find that shit anywhere, and i don't want to order it online.

So is there anybody from new england that can tell a good soil to use? That i can buy around here.