No-Till Gardening

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Under Hill, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When using the AgSil 16H with watering . Are you emulsifing it with the neem oil. I was thinking no. Only emulsify with neem for a foiler spray. Is this corect?

2. The silica emulsifies the neem oil. But yes I believe you want to keep the oil to foliars and to dampen the top of the soil. I don't think you ever want to drench with neem oil.

3. Yea that's what I thought. so I can just use the water concentrate for the soil and no need for the neem oil?

4. Ya you can use neem meal teas for soil drenches as well!

5. #6165 Anatman, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    35' Starts Jeremy at BAS and Tim/Microbeman.
    I'm not telling anybody to go out and brew a CT, but this is still interesting(if you can get past the hosts' snickering and cutting off MM).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nzcofj_lcAs

6. #6166 SoloToker, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
    The IPM episode and living organic episodes with Coot were way better. Just saying....

Of course you gotta get past The Rev and Kyle Kushman's bullshit in the living organic one.

Solo

7. neem meal is ok for using as a soil drench, but using neem oil added into a soil derench is different I thought. am I thinking right

8. Yes, oil for for foliar and meal for soil. I recently learned here that if I made a kelp and neem meal tea, I could water that down 50/50 and use it as an ipm so I'm hoping to get the same results with that.

9. Ok that's what I thought. So what I'm really getting at is I can use the AgSil 16H with just water for soil drench, and cloning

10. Agsil is for everything man. Soil drench, foliar, cloning, emulsifying oils...everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. I would highly recommend getting neem oil (or karanja) for IPM purposes. Pretty cheap price to pay for peace of mind. Neem oil is a much stronger anti-feedant/fungicide than the seed cake. Much higher levels of the active liminoid compounds.

Karanja oil is a little easier to use.

12. #6172 Anatman, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    So the oil has higher levels of azadirachtin than the cake? If limenoids (sp?) are lipid-soluble, this makes perfect sense.

I haven't re-upped my neem oil supply since it's run out; I still have karanja oil and neem cake, though it seems it may behoove me to get some more neem oil, especially for all these garden plants I'm growing in my mind...

13. That's what 'ol Lumpy Dawgz sez

SwetnK

In this instance, the term cake and meal are interchangeable. Neem seed cake/meal is the dried residue after the oil has been pressed from the seeds.

All parts of the neem tree contain the agent Azadiractin (among 60+ others equally important) that provides a defense against molds, nematodes, leaf-eating insects, et al. This includes the leaves, bark, seeds, roots, branches, etc.

The pressing does not remove all of the oil or the active agents. The Azadiractin level of the meal is generally about 1/3 - 1/2 of the PPM level of the oil that was pressed, i.e. if the neem oil tests out at 1500 PPM for Azadiractin then you could figure that the meal/cake would come in at 500 PPM - 750 PPM.

The cake is helpful in any type of organic growing environment. It has a solid NPK profile (if you're one of those who subscribes to that paradigm), a complete micro-nutrient component as well as trace elements, phytohormones (Abscisic acid, Auxins, Cytokinins, Ethylene, Gibberellins) Vitamin C, citric acid, saponin, et al. providing improved conditions for the nitrification process, preventing root rot and other anaerobic-related problems like root aphids, gnats, etc.

The neem seed cake also triggers a plant's defenses through a number of agents it contains resulting in systemic defense against the invasive powdery mildew issues.

The meal/cake can also be used to make an effective tea during those times of the grow/flower cycle where using the neem oil may not be the best option. 1/2 cup of neem seed meal/cake and 1/4 cup of kelp meal along with 1 tsp. of liquid silica into 5 gallons of water and then bubbled/brewed for 18 - 24 hours. This can be used to irrigate the plants as well as applying as a foliar spray.

I'd recommend the neem & karanja seed meals from NeemResource.com - it's organic. It's Fair trade. It's Inexpensive. It's Effective. And the woman who heads this organization is the most informed individual I've ever talked with on the subject of neem tree products in general.

And her products are from India. There's a lot of neem products coming in from China and Africa. That's not necessarily a bad thing. However, the neem tree industry in India goes back several centuries. The tree is part of the worship of several incarnations of the Godhead including Krishna, Ganesha, Vishnu, Shiva, et al. and it's a part of the culture in the production regions and the industry is tightly controlled by the Parker India Group.

For me I consider neem cake as important as my other 'must have' for gardening, i.e. kelp meal, alfalfa meal and rock dusts.

YMMV

HTH

LD

14. Nice. Thanks for digging that up. Obviously there's a lot of information passed around here and if I read something that's not specific to my interest in the moment, I just lock it away in the darker corners of my memory. I don't know that I've read that specific post, but some of the information certainly is familiar.

A new one, though: I've never seen it expressed explicitly that making a tea from the cake is better for foliar than the oil if you have to spray your plants during later flowering stages.

Kudos all around TJ.

15. I don't mean to misquote him or anything, but he may have meant that a soil drench with the tea is a good for late flowering plants. I personally wouldn't recommend foliar spraying your late flowering plants with neem tea :eek:

I miss CC. :(

16. Well that's how I interpret it, but I guess the wording isn't too clear, I'm not going to analyze it; I haven't been spraying my plants in flower unless with spinosad to combat mites.

Though, I'm about halfway through this seaweed book and now I want to spray every living thing on my property with a kelp tea... :confused_2:
    :hide:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Hey there guys I have been in my quest for growing the best dank I could with minimal amounts of cash and NoTill is where this journey has led me. I was once a hydro guy and was good at it but found organics to be what I was always searching for in the hydro. But I brought the bottled nutes with me, I found SubCool's SS and have been loving it and its broken me of my bottled nutes. Only issue was that the SS recipe is great but something you need to keep making and spending on which is expensive, not as much as nutes but still spending. Next I went to Down to Earth's Pro Organic mix (EWC's, sphagnum peat and diatomite inoculated with your endo's and ecto's) and watering with teas. This is a great way to grow too and has made it cheaper than the SS route but now it seems NoTill is the next logical step in my journey.

So as I read this 300+ page thread I find myself collecting the ingrediants for my base mix, I want to do 10-15gal smart pots for my indoor setup so far to my calculations I should need a total of 20cu. ft. of base soil to start this NoTill. So in breaking this up I have so far;

1 bale of sunshine mix #4 (3.8cu. ft. but should be about 7 once uncompressed. makes 1/3 of base mix)
    3cu. ft of Vital Earth pure EWC's (locally made down the street)
    4cu. ft Alaskan forest humus
    1 50lb sack of Rice Hulls
    3 cu. ft lava rock
    14 cups Azomite
    14 cups Glacial rock dust
    7 cups gypsum
    7 cups oyster shell flour
    7 cups neem seed meal

I also have a buddy that does NoTill and he is going to help me out with fresh worm compost that he brews up that I can use to mix in with my mix after it has setup for 4wks. This should help inoculate the soil with all the arthropods, nematodes and every other goodies live compost has to offer. 

Only things Im missing I believe would be things like kelp and crab meal from what BlueJay has thrown down....Question is I have a lot of BioLive from DTE around and want to know if it's cool to toss that in at recommended ratio's? It's a bit more ingredients but the fish, fish bone, shrimp meal and alfalfa's in it should be beneficial correct? Also it has volcanic ash so I can probably skip the 14 cups of Azomite? and does the gypsum get replaced from the langbeinite? just a few questions before I blast off and never look back....thanks in advance guys!

18. Just some excerpts:

"as the concentration of seaweed extract increases, the rate of respiratory activities of seeds also increases."

"Foliar application to banana plants decreased the time to shooting and increased the average bunch weight of the fruits"

"Soil application of the seaweed extract in gladioli trials increased significantly the average corm weight."

"Increased crop yields were obtained in commercial trials with potatoes, sweet corn, peppers, tomatoes, and oranges. Improved storage quality was noted of peppers and oranges from plants treated with seaweed extract."

"Reports that seaweed releases unavailable minerals from the soil have been made."

"Fruit harvested from peach trees which had been sprayed with seaweed extracts increased shelf life"

"...sprayed at weekly intervals onto cucumbers during fruiting increased yield 41.8%. Storage life was prolonged 14-21 days and the cucumbers were more resistant to softening and rotting than control plants."

"foliar application of an aqueous seaweed extract of known cytokinin activity produced a significant increase in yield of potatoes of the variety King Edward."

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Get this book! Seaweed and Plant Growth for $12.95

19. Organic plant steroids........

20. At the very least. :laughing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.