Organic Fungus Gnat Solution

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by azgrassman, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Hey Organic Growers,

I'm three weeks out from harvest and, sadly, just found a gnat infestation in my garden.

I need a way to treat my soil without harming my buds too greatly.

My current plan is to use Apple Cider Vinegar and beer traps to take care of the adults and use H2O2 and cinnamon to control the larva and fungus in the soil.

My local shop recommended this:

http://growershouse.com/zero-tolerance-pesticide-rtu-organic

They say its safe to use in flower and is organic, but I really don't want my girls to taste like pesticides and I was planning on beginning the final flush in about a week.

Any other treatments that you all know of that don't involve chems would be really appreciated.

I've read up on neem products and BTi products but I don't think they'll act fast enough. The same issue prevents me from using nematodes or other beneficial organisms...

Thanks for your insight,

AZ

2. #2 DoodleBug, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
    Yellow sticky traps and/or Hot Shot pest strips will take care of adults. For the larvae you'll need Bt or neem cake <azadirachtin> (diluted and not).

Any other remedies are only feeble attempts to control the fungus gnat. Besides being a nuisance there is really no harm to a healthy mature plant from fungus gnats or their larva. The real risk from gnat larvae is to young plants and seedlings.

Welcome to indoor gardening.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. in the future to help minimize, I use grow stones, and bottom water, others use Diamatatious earth, I think even perlite. If you build your own soil you can add crab meal and Neem, also help.

Peace

4. After reading up on gnats, I can see that you're right, not too much to worry about. My local shop doesn't have Bt-i products unfortunately and most of the neem products they carry contain secondary nutrients or additives that I feel would harm my final product being so close to harvest. I need to start my flush within the next two weeks, as I've been using the Advanced Nutrients line.

Even though the other options may not be as successful or reliable, I think they might be my only option given my circumstance.

I've used H2O2 in my garden before and haven't noticed it harming my plants, but another GC citizen questioned using an oxidizer in my soil. Do you have any opinion as to whether or not it's dangerous to use it with the Cinnamon?

I have a pretty large amount of perlite in my soil, but I think my soil still retains water too readily. My next mix will be better, I hope.

My next grow will hopefully be fully organic. I have a recipe I've been tinkering with while my current grow goes on. Neem seems like a must when growing organically; I'll be sure to use it in my soil.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

AZ

5. Hey Soxfan,

I'd have to order their products online as well, so I don't think I can use their products for this grow.

Have you used their stuff on your own grow? I'm always interested in hearing how people like the nutrients they use.

AZ

6. I know some swear by them but hot shot no pest strips are not an organic solution and I would avoid them in my garden personally. All other options here and in the other thread are good.

7. ive been using their hydrolyzed fish with great results so far, and will be ordering the fish/seaweed combo for my next run

8. #9 DoodleBug, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013

azgrassman, rather than list just a few of the many reasons I would never deliberately apply H2O2 to an organic soil grow, I struggled to find just one reason why it would make sense to do so. Quite frankly, I do not know even one.

Organic gardening is a journey. At some point in that journey one perhaps realizes that the very best they can do for themselves and their plants is to arm themselves with solid, academic based facts, throw in a bit of "my grandpa always use to...", a pinch of esoteric "logic", and then just provide their plants with the best growing environment that they can.

There is not ONE good reason to apply H2O2 to an organic soil grow that falls under the banner of that somehow promoting plant health whether mixing with cinnamon or just plain water. As for H2O2 controlling gnat larvae, the facts are in and H2O2 is not identified as a substance that will kill or control fungus gnats. Using H2O2 in your "teaming with microbe" soil life will in all likelihood do more harm that good.

Just as a sidebar, have you ever witnessed what H2O2 does to dried blood on your nice carpet or beautiful furniture? Now there is a good use for H2O2 IMO - blood stain removal. That is even better than using it for bleaching ones hair.

9. My garden isn't organic. I was looking for an organic option due to how late my plants are into flowering. Sorry for the confusion.

Hydrogen Peroxide really isn't bad for gardening though.

Hydrogen Peroxide, Nasal Sprayer & Garden Applications By Bill Munro

Hydrogen Peroxide!

Quick Grow Indoor Garden Centre Articles

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lEh59fRmp9oVZuA&bvm=bv.42553238,d.aWc&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lEh59fRmp9oVZuA&bvm=bv.42553238,d.aWc&cad=rja

Controlling Fungus Gnats Organically - Small Footprint Family

These sources all state that H2O2 is safe to use in gardening and agricultural applications, they all provide multiple reasons for using H2O2.

Plus my grandpa says I should.

AZ

10. To an organic "water only" soil it is frowned upon, the microbes don't like it.

11. I can understand that totally. Microbes can't grow if they're being aggressively oxidized.

Lucky for me, I made the mistake of using mg perlite early in my grow (I've since began using a different perlite) that contains synthetic fertilizers. My beneficial microbes and fungi never really had a chance. Since that time I've been using the advanced nutrient line, also not organic.

In a true organic soil I can see the danger of using hydrogen peroxide, but in my soil I feel as though the peroxide will be more beneficial than not.

12. i know MG is evil, but isnt perlite pretty much just styrofoam pellets? they even make evil perlite?

13. #14 azgrassman, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
    It contains slow release ferts. I didn't realize until Jerry, the organic guru, told me.

Edit: I don't think the perlite totally excluded the possibility for an organic grow, though it did cause my plants to vomit pea soup and levitate. It's pretty obviously evil perlite.

I think it said some messed up shit about my mom too.

14. hahahahahahahahaha

that sucks cuz i used mg perlite in my grow......lots of it. now i love my plant less, like finding out im not the real father of my kid or something

15. I took 4 bags of Mg perlite back to home depot and went to my local grow shop and got the real deal, cheaper too. I don't like grow stores in general but this one is owned by an old hippie. He doesn't push useless crap and has organics too.Solid dude.

mj