Azamax vs Neem Oil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by marvajuana, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Hello Blades, I want to share some info I dug up on neem and azdirachtin technical extract or azamax.
    I have been using neem oil for mites with good results but I always am looking for something better. I bought some azamax and started reading up on it. I know this is long but I spent some time finding it and want to help the blades out.
    At first I thought I had been duped because both come from neem trees.
    I think I was wrong it seems the two work better together (according to research) than by themselves.
    This is from Resource Guide for Organic Insect and Disease Management

There is evidence that other compounds found in neem have insecticidal attributes that contribute to a given product's efficacy. A study conducted at Washington State University in conjunction with the W.R. Grace and Company (manufacturers of the neem product Margosan-O at the time) found that products containing both azadirachtin and neem oil have greater efficacy in controlling aphids than either ingredient alone (Stark and Walter 1995). They hypothesize that neem oil may help spread the chemicals on both plant and insect surfaces and allow them to penetrate into the insect more effectively. Neem seed oil is formulated and used somewhat like other horticultural oils and controls some foliar diseases as well as certain insects and mites. The oil is also made into an insecticidal soap, which probably acts similarly to other insecticidal soaps by disrupting insect membranes.

Active neem constituents can be absorbed through plant roots and systemically move upward through the plant through xylem tissues
    This works best when sufficient quantities are applied to the root zone. Systemic effects are much less apparent from foliar sprays.
    Neem constituents last much longer within the plant than when sprayed on the leaves. However, over time they will be diluted by growth.
    mj.

2. Interesting find, thank you for sharing! :)

3. I want to share a little knowledge I have gained in the battle against spider mites. Last grow I had run in with them and used rosemary oil at first, 2 sprayings 10 days apart. It worked ok but they slowly came back. I used neem for 2 sprays and harvested without any mites. I know some always survive.
    I came up with a mix that works great now I use it every 20 days in vedge and flower untill about a month before harvest and I can't find any sign of mites at all in my grow.
    Here it is.
    5ml Neem oil concentrate with soap(I use green light brand)
    5ml Azamax
    5ml Rosemary oil
    1 liter distilled water.
    mix and spray the entire plant thoroughly,till it drips,keep it out of the light while it's wet.

mj:smoking:

4. That doesnt make sense azadirachtin is one of the components in neem itself .Azamax is just a single compound extracted from the neem tree. When u use oiil or neem cake tea u get all the compounds and its stronger so more effective.

5. Chemical composition of Neem oil

The Azadirachtin content of Neem oil can vary a lot – from 300ppm to over 2,500ppm depending on the extraction and quality of the Neem seeds used to produce the oil.

It is the 'limonoids' contained that seem to have the insecticide and pesticide properties, but unlike their chemical counterpart, it works on the insect's hormonal system, not on the digestive or nervous system and it also repels larvae and adults.

Apart from insects it is of value against five major species of stored grain and rice pests, and although it doesn't replace chemical pesticides, it does decrease the need for these chemical pesticides.

The main limonoid that it contains is azadirachtin but also contains azadiradione, fraxinellone, nimbin, salannin, salannol, vepinin, vilasinin, etc.

There are three other active constituents in the oil - nimbin, nimbidin and nimbinene plus bitter principles, tannins, flavonoids and sesquiterpene

• Like Like x 1
  6. There is evidence that other compounds found in neem have insecticidal attributes that contribute to a given product’s efficacy. A study conducted at Washington State University in conjunction with the W.R. Grace and Company (manufacturers of the neem product Margosan-O at the time) found that products containing both azadirachtin and neem oil have greater efficacy in controlling aphids than either ingredient alone (Stark and Walter 1995).

This where the idea came from. I found this to be very effective for control of spider mites in my grow. I have used all three alone and they don't seem to be as effective as the 3 part mix. I wish to help fellow blades avoid as many pitfalls as possible and this works. Death to the mites.
    mj

7. Good Post as I thought Azamax was from the Neem Tree ..?

8. Its is a product only containing one of ths key chemical components of the neem tree. Explained it above.

9. Azamax is a concentrate of the main active in neem oil.
    Cold pressed neem oil contains numerous other actives.
    A mix of the two was found more effective in the study against mites than either one alone.
    I added rosemary as a test.
    All I can say is if you have a mite problem give it a try. It works for me.:D

10. Would azamax work against fungus gnats?

11. Hi Susan, I don't have a problem with gnats but I still see one now and then so if they are bad I don't think azamax would be the best solution. They live in the soil, this spray works against mites because they feed on the leaves. I'm sure someone can suggest a good organic gnat remedy for ya though.:D

12. #12 40yearsmoker, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
    Psycho sam is doing battle with gnats on the "but what do I know" thread.

13. Whooaa!!!, I read just yesterday that the Gnats don't actually eat the leaves but the larvae eat sections of the roots, thus opening them up to gray mold,
    in either cast regular sprays of neem oil down below would knock them off