Downgirl's Tent Grow and potluck mix.

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Downgirl2182, May 31, 2011.

1. #1 Downgirl2182, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
    This would be my first grow. I tried some trial and error(mostly error) with bagseed in my closet. I basically didn't have jack crap ready and thought one day I want to have my own personal produce:) So like any flap happy newb I went and got crap soil and winged it with bagseed. Needless to say all seedlings have died and I have one descent one left. So I'm focusing on that one until I get all my supplies together and then order some good seeds.
    Here is what I have acquired so far for supplies: (please let me know if you see anything to add or to toss) What ever soils and nutes I do not need or is not appropriate for my grow I will end up using for some flowers, and tomatoes..

Grow Tent:HYDROPONIC PLANT GROW GROWING TENT BOX ROOM 4 x 4 x 6.5 - eBay (item 270754252675 end time Jun-23-11 12:14:03 PDT)
    Lights:8-26WCFL 6500K and 8-26WCFL 2700K with DIY Light Fixture(Mylar lined litter pan) and DIY Light hanger adjuster(blind)
    Container: party cups, 2-6inch pots, 2-5 gal. Buckets.
    Temp/Humidity Control:Simple indoor Thermometer and Humidity meter
    Meters: None so far. Can not find a dig. PH or Moisture Meter anywhere. I did pick up a ph soil test kit from Rapitest.
    Germination: Jiffy Greenhouse and have Jiffy seed starter mix as well.
    Soils,Amendments, Nutrients, and etc:
    1-40lb(0.75 cu ft.) bag of ASB GreenWorld Compost Manure
    1-40lb(0.75 cu ft.) bag of ASB GreenWorld Organic Compost
    1-40lb(0.75 cu ft.) bag of ASB GreenWorld Topsoil.
    1-40lb bag of Earthgro humus&manure.
    1-40lb bag of Earthgro organic potting soil
    1-5 cu ft. of Sand
    1-1 cu ft. of ASB Greenworld Sphagnum Peat Moss
    1-1 quart Alaska Fish Fertilizer
    1-3lb bag of MG Organic Choice Bone Meal
    1-3lb of MG Organic Choice Blood Meal
    1-5lb bag of Mosser Lee River Rock(for preventing over watering)
    1-2 oz of GardenTech Root Boost powder
    2-12qt Bags of Jiffy starter Mix
    2-4lb Boxes Of Epsom Salts
    1-4 fl oz. Of SuperThrive
    1-4lb bag of Epsoma Tomato Tone
    1-4lb bag of Epsoma Organic Traditions Garden Lime
    1-10lb of Wiggle Worm Earth Worm castings.
    1-1 oz of MycoGrow solible Mycorrhizal Fungi.
    1-8 qt bag of ferti-lome perlite
    1-8qt bag of ferti-lome vermiculite

What I plan on Getting:
    1-2.2lb bag of Sunleaves Indonesian Bat Guano
    1-2.2lb bag of Sunleaves Mexican Bat Guano
    1-5lb bag of Soilmender Alfalfa Meal
    1-5lb bag of Soilmender Kelp Meal
    1-5lb container of General Hydroponics Rare Earth
    1-Crap ton of Ladybugs in case of pest emergency.

Cooling: I Plan on getting a 6 inch pc Fan for my Exhaust and intend on making a DIY flange for it. I will have a passive intake. The Tent will be in my room so I will probably duct the exhaust out into the room or out the window. What I have now is a 12 inch oscillating Fan and a 24 inch Air circulating fan. [edit] I found the formula for cfm and and for a 4x4x6.5 tent I need approx. 130 cfm. I went to Newegg and found this pc fan that I will be getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054

Brand:Scythe
    Type
    Case Fan
    Compatibility
    Case
    Fan Size
    120mm
    Bearing Type
    Sleeve
    RPM
    3000 ±10% RPM
    Air Flow
    133.60 CFM
    Noise Level
    45.90 dBA
    Dimensions
    120 x 120 x 38mm

:update 5/31. I ordered two of the fans listed above for my exhaust fans for 9.99 a piece not to shabby if you ask me! I think I will have one just a normal fan connected to some ducting and to blow the hot air outside or in my room and have the other attached to a DIY carbon filter of some sort.

I know I have to be missing something. Please hold and make yourself comfortable while I go take inventory:) Ok my H20

Water Supply: I have a couple Gallons of Distilled and I also have one of those Brita Filters that is right in Container you serve your water from. Mainly bought it because I hate shitty Chlorine city water. I grew up with well water and this city stuff makes me want to spew.

Seeds: I plan on using Attitude for my purchase and if anyone has any banks they perceive reputable I am all ears. As for the Strain I am wanting something Durable and has Anti-Anxiety and Pain relieving Properties.

[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black]Odor: [SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]I am still up in the air about this one so suggestion please! I heard cans work good. Whatever is affordable and practical sounds the most appealing.

Constructive Criticism is appreciated....Thanks.
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

2. Hello DGirl,

Wow, that's quite the soil you got there. I am sure the plants will like it.

The best way to deal with smell is to get a strain that is not too stinky (IMO). I have three that are very reasonable as far as smell goes.

Good luck with the grow and don't forget to post pictures.

Sterces.

3. Thanks Sterces. I decided if I am going to do it better go all the way and do it right even if I end up acquiring 400+ things. Just hoping it wont be an overload. Still contemplating on what measurements and ingredients for each stage of growth.
    I will be posting pictures as soon as my tent gets here. I bought it Sunday during the day so hopefully it will arrive in the next few days.
    I'm not to concerned about it being stinky as I am in the uses of a certain strain for physical issues. However less smelly strains are indeed a great thing!

4. Hey DownGirl,
    Glad to hear you started growing:hello: You definitely have a bunch of good stuff to make a good organic soil mix.

If you're planning on going fully organic I would keep the superthrive out of the equation. And since you plant on getting kelp meal there will be plenty of B1 vitamins in there for your plants.:)

Also should probably get some perlite to add porosity to your soil mix and add lots of it. I'm only saying this because I dont' see anything for your soil mix that would help the mix be aerated other than the peat moss.

As for the flushing solution I don't think you need it especially if you are going to grow organically. There is no need to flush in organics especially if you are charging your soil with goodies and just using water. The nutrients that the plants are taking are from the beneficial microorganisms in an organic grow setting. People normally flush or use flushing solutions to get red if the salt build up in the soil and inside the plants which come from chemical fertilizers. All I would do is if give plain water the last week or two if growing organically. Plus those flushing agents are not organic :).

AS for smell you can go with a non stinky strain like Sterces said. But if you're into aromas and want a good smelling plant get a carbon filter or make one. They have DIY threads on how to build a carbon filter! I'm using a carbon filter and my room doesn't smell. Only my buds:D

And strain wise, sounds like you need a kush strain:smoke:

That's my two cents.

Anyways Good luck on your grow and keep us posted!:)

5. Btw definitely suggest 400w or more. You are already using 416w if you are going with 16 cfls. And with the 400w you'll definitely get more light intensity and better canopy penetration.

6. So I think I will use this as my starter mix
    For a starter baby mix I will be using:
    3 parts Jiffy Mix
    3 parts earthworm castings
    2 parts perlite
    pinch of Mycogrow

For the toddler transplant stage: Based on 5 gallons.
    50%Organic Compost, 20% Peat moss,20% perlite 10% sand
    I will add in 3 cups Organic Manure & Humus ,1 cups Kelp meal, 1 cup Mex Bat guano,1 Cup Indonesian Bat guano,1 cups EWC, 3/4 cup Dolomite lime(i have pelletized would it be ok if I crushed it up into powder or should I get some powdered?) 2 Tbls epsom salts, 1tbls Myrogrow. I really suck at any basic Math or percentages so I probably have the Measurements all messed up..

7. Thanks for the reply GreenFingers! I do have sand there on my list along with the Peat moss and perlite or would I need more airation? Very interesting I did not know that salt build up was only for chemical users, that's great info!
    So are you suggesting I get another 400watts on top of my already 400w to a total of 800? I planned on only having 3-4 plants.
    I will for sure go check out some Kush, I think I read a thread on here on which strains helped certain diseases and ailments. I appreciate the help so far guys. I am like a sponge right now and soaking up all info I can.

8. I would go with minimum 30% perlite just to ensure good drainage. I made a mix for my lettuce plants and only put around 15-20% perlite and the rest compost mixed with peat moss and sand and I find that it doesn't drain well. Takes its time.

How long do you plan on vegging before you switch to flowering? If you are going to grow big plants, which it seems like you are based on your final container size, you should probably go with HIDs for better light penetration.
    Btw I was suggesting to replace the cfls with a 400w or better a 600w electronic ballast and switch between MH and HPS.

9. I dont have enough funds or knowledge yet to deal with hps or Mh. Also have to keep the electricity at a normal level. I already have 100000 bills to pay :( I will add some more perlite then:D

10. Today I am going to transplant the only seedling that is left and looks good still. It will probably be the only alive to actually go in my tent.
    On another note had a girlfriend of mine come over last night and she had some chemdawg/purple diesel or belladonna but she knew for sure it had chemdawg and it was a rather pleasant mellow buzz and did wonder for my anxiety. I am thinking maybe I should buy the chem for my first pick. Going to go look it up right now and check out the specs on and if it would be good for a newb like me grow.

11. So I got to looking today after making some a few test batches of soil mixes. I realized the MG perlite I was using had butes in it. 4-1-6, I wonder what the hell kept killing my babies. So check that off the list and better go buy some vermeculite or good perlite-the nutes in it tomorrow. Hoping my tent is here tommorrow and then I will get some pics posted:)

12. Hey downgirl,
    it sucks that your only down to one seedling. I hope it ends up being a female:) It would suck if the only plant you had ended up being a male. Anyways I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

Oh and that chemdawg/purple diesel sounds like an awesome strain! What did it taste like? Chemdawg is a kush strain:smoke: OG Kush is chemdawg 91'.

Anyways I'm glad to hear you found out what was killing your seedlings. MG can be brutal to young seedlings and I don't think their stuff is organic.

13. It does suck:( but I am glad I used bagseed. After I get everything set up this week , I will be ordering some good seeds. Thanks for the luck I will be needing it, thats for darn sure :p
    The chemdawg to me tasted what my lemon cleaner smells like if that makes since haha. The smoke was very pleasant and wasn't at one bit harsh and the buzz was very mellow but It gave me some much needed energy to get some things done around the house yesterday which is a great thing!
    I also have questioned MG products myself. They are such a large corporation it really does make me wonder what kind of chemicals they may be using in there so called organic line. I guess after so many years you just learn not to trust large based monopolies. The reason i say this is where I live MG DOMINATES the entire lawn and garden industry. Its a pain in the rear just to find some good legit brands out here unless I go to a nursery. I will say though there are Massive lime mines here:D haha..

14. Hi DG,

>> my lemon cleaner smells like if that makes since haha.

I bought some Pine Sol the other day to prove to myself the pot I am growing really does smell like it.

So yeah, it make sense to me anyway.

Sterces.

15. Mmmm.. that sounds like good ol' chemdawg. She's really smooth and tastes great I gave a friend one of my OG #18 seeds(Chemdawgx OG Chem) and it sounds just like you describe it. Incredible smoke.

In my opinion, MG or anything that comes from a large corporation is crap and it's sad to hear MG dominates your locale. These monopolies and oligopolies are greedy ass fools. Making small businesses shut down and making people want things they don't need. All because a few people decided they needed all the wealth in the world. A rational person would realize is all one needs is food, shelter, some love... and some bud:D. Nothing more.

I suggest going to the nursery or if you can't find one a hydro store. Hydro stores and nurseries are the best places to pick up your gardening items. So try to find a good hydro store or a local nursery. Plus the people that work there generally have lots of knowledge in growing plants!

By the way.. nice tent! Gonna have plenty of room for those plants to grow big:smoke:

Where is the pic of your babies?:confused:

16. Greenfingers I couldn't agree with you more. These companies do not care one bit about the consumers needs especially a consumer who prefers there food and of course bud to be free of cancer causing chemicals:/ I already done enough bad shit to my body through out the years and now that I am a bit older I prefer to try and help erase the damage I have done. Its sad too because where I live almost everyone has their own garden or they are farmers. Its scarey to think what type of chems they are putting on their produce and feeding to their livestock.

I went to the nursery here but they didnt have much of anything really. They did have my epsoma tomato tone and other epsoma products so thats what I bought locally. Other then that I have had to go to every store and look for organic products and sometimes they will have a product here and there and I snatch it up because I know if I dont someone else will who does organics, like my Dad or my Dads neighbor. They have both been gardeners since before I was born and they use all organics in there gardens and end up growing some of the finest fruits and veggies I have ever tasted. Just wish i could get my Dad to help me on my grow , to bad he has never tried bud in his life lol..
    I will take a pic of my baby today but dont make fun of her she is kinda meek IMO :(

17. Ok greenfingers here are some pics. I have the one left who has snapped out of it and started to look better. She was pretty bad off before and had taco leaves and everything, I thought she was a gonner but she lived. The other one you will see is really bad off. I have done almost everything to help her but she just wont snap out of it. It really makes me think bagseed isnt even worth trying to grow due to unknown genetics. So next paycheck I am buying from Attitude and getting the show on the road. Hopefully my baby will live until then:/
    Downgirls tip of the day: Bagseed is not worth the time and money. Unknown genetics is comparable to explaining colors to a blind man. Not going to happen :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. By the way I had gotten some rooting powder which is just zinc,sulphur and magenese on them a bit which is why they look dusty.Damn lid got knocked over by my cat and the fan went poof with what had fell.

19. Hey dg! What a lineup of organic mix you have! Sounds like a room full! So your planning on runnin cfls your whole grow? How close are the lights?

Looks like your good to grow ;)