guitar help

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by Wakadoozicle, Sep 24, 2012.

1. im trying to learn the fucking guitar but its kind of hard. one, i dont know where to start, or where to go to for help. if i could get some expert advice, dat is be splendid

2. Its not just gonna happen man lol. Takes a pretty long time even to learn basics so try not to get frustrated right away. But a good way to start is chromatic scales and pentatonic scales. Look up tabs if you know how to read them. If you dont the number on the string is what fret you play. Youtube also has a ton of vids to check out.

3. ik what the strings are and what the frets are, but idk how to read tabs but thanks, i think i just need to get the chords down better

4. [quote name='"Wakadoozicle"']ik what the strings are and what the frets are, but idk how to read tabs but thanks, i think i just need to get the chords down better[/quote]

Tabs are very easy and common sense to read, look up "how to read guitar tablature"

5. Get some chords down, and then just work on playing them and improving your timing, it doesn't take that long a couple months and you could be pretty in time and then you just continue expanding what you're able to play, but starting out I would just work on playing a couple of chords and getting very fluid with switching to different chords, timing, etc.

6. Take a group class for beginner guitar, which can be found at colleges and music schools, or get a private teacher.

7. sign up for a free 30 day trial at truefire.com

Really quality stuff, you won't regret it, I love it!
    They teach by genre, but also have a category for beginner.

8. I don't know if you have an xbox or ps3, if you do get rocksmith, really helped me learn the basics. also turns your tv into a pretty good practice amp until you can justify dropping money on a good amp.

9. get a few lessons just to help get on the right track....tbh i found learning power and bar chords quite hard to learn so maybe get lessons until you can do those....the rest just kind of comes

10. I find chords to be a pain in the ass lol. Im kind of teaching myself at my own pace as well. I like to have a balance between tab and actually learning the music

11. Chords are essential, you should learn them. They help build finger strength and help you learn which notes are where.
    YouTube is great for learning guitar too.

12. I'm right there with you man! I started about 2 and a half months ago and I'm just now getting fluent and fast with the basic chords.. But the key for me has been patience, if you get frustrated just put it down and come back a little bit later and your fingers will do it for you! It's pretty crazy how it works but its amazing! I'm about to start working on my. Barre chords

13. I picked up a guitar within an hour I was playing full songs blind folded. I'm a virtuoso, savant, and a mastermind.

I play by ear though so I'm gifted.

14. Let's hear something by you.

15. Not to brag but I play a pretty mean Iron Man riff lol

16. the hardest part about playing guitar, in my experience, is learning how to switch from chord to chord fluidly.

learn some chords and try switching from chord to chord, all combinations, and eventually it'll be second nature.

17. [quote name='"THCandroid"']the hardest part about playing guitar, in my experience, is learning how to switch from chord to chord fluidly.

learn some chords and try switching from chord to chord, all combinations, and eventually it'll be second nature.[/quote]

Going from chord to chord is a bitch

18. i think the hardest thing is getting a sweet tone.....guess i would say that after 7 years on the cheap strat copy though...at least big muff makes it sound half decent

19. [quote name='"tackthecack"']i think the hardest thing is getting a sweet tone.....guess i would say that after 7 years on the cheap strat copy though...at least big muff makes it sound half decent[/quote]

Lol mexican made strat? No Bueno