Anyone know what you need to produce?

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by aw69, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Hey GC I've always had music as a passion and have messed around with audacity and stuff but have always wanted to make something for myself, anyone know what's necessary to produce some music and how much it will all cost, I'm obviously not trying to be the next dr dre just want it as a hobby, any info will help! Thanks in advanced

2. #2 silenceme, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
    Well first off... what is your budget?

Secondly, what type of music do you want to make?

Do you prefer hardware or software?

If you answer these questions I may be able to appoint you a DAW you might like, as well as plugins/midi controllers/etc

Also, MAC or PC?

3. Ask around you friends (if any are musicians, at least) for an extra, decent mic. then, download fl studios. the trial version lets you export finished stuff (just can't save your file, so don't close the program ha). then get the mixcraft 60 day trial when you can afford it (only 15 bucks) for sampling/mixing down stuff. That's how i do it, ha dirt cheap. I used to have a midi pad, but i can do the same with my keyboard as a midi controller so i ended up selling that.

4. Wow, really?

One of the main reasons I got a midi controller was because you dont have a ptich wheel/automation wheel on your keyboard... Plus you have zero velocity control on a keyboard.

OP if you want things to be easier, then get a midi controller. But if thats out of your budget a keyboard will work, just very very slow at doing some things.

5. Um I don't know really I like country and hippo althought they're totally different it'd probably be hip hop and I have around 750 to spend ur can get more or less depending, and I have a pc and could do either software or hardware i dont know haha

6. Well with that budget....I'd say go software.

Since you are on PC....check out Ableton,reason,pro tools, fruity loops.... basically anything that looks good to use, pick whichever one you like more/easier to work with.

Since you like country and i'm gonna assume you'd want to record? In that case your gonna wanna look at an audio interface that works for PC, depending on how much you would want to record at once...the price range can vary greatly. You can easily spend 500 bucks on just the audio interface alone, but you don't need something that crazy just yet.

10 Best Audio Interfaces For Home Studios | Juno Plus

Check that out, some very useful information there.

You'll probably want one of the smaller ones, that way you can record guitar/vocals whatever you want ....you wouldn't be able to record an entire drum set though.... so figure out what you want to record and get whatever works, but also get something thats gonna work for you in the future if you decide to record more things..

Hardware.....not much to get here. Since you say you like hip hop, i would get something with pads.... you could get an MPC(You can record with this, lets say you record a country song and put it on 16 pads, you can also use this with your computer to control things)

OR you can just get pads(Use it with your computer, has no interface, does not record any sounds etc)

So if you want to sample things on the fly,mess with them a lot, a MPC would be good. If you are fine with sampling on your computer, or just want pads to trigger something.... then getting a midi pad controller would be more ideal.

As for the keys.....you could get an 88 key midi controller fairly cheap, around 100 bucks I believe... (M-audio is the company im thinking of)

7. BRO
    with as much software that is out there many people who fall into the software over hardware battle, typically don't get to play out or around in their own cities. Yeh its fucking great to make a bomb track and have it get around, but playing live with a computer doesn't give the audience, which I know many have witnessed, the same feedback without a light show too.

As for hardware a sampler, like the mpc, or a few roland models, ie the 303, kick so much ass. and you wouldn't have to waste time in front of a computer screen to get the sound one wants.

8. IF your gonna make hip-hop download FL studio. If you wanna make dubstep your gonna need a pretty penny for all the hardware. Not to say FL studio cant do dubstep, its just REALY fucking time consuming and hard...atleast for me. Any thing else get an instrument.

9. Buy a cheap (but good) Daw spend the rest on decent monitors and some sort of basic midi controller.

10. MIDI keyboard
    Native Instruments Maschine
    audio interface
    a DAW

11. You can do all you're music virtually for electronic music, no hardware necessary. Especially dubstep. Skream, Benga, Pinch and a bunch of other top producers all used FL Studio for a good while.

12. Yeah....it's actually easier to do dubstep on a computer then hardware, you can EASILY program all the automations...heck you can have preset patterns for you to use, so you don't have to do anything besides pick the sound and play some notes.

But when it comes to sound quality, dubstep produced with analog will always sound better. No questions asked.

13. #13 CarloMarx, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
    These things.

Pick a DAW and LEARN it. Some DAWs like Ableton looking absolutely horrifying at first, but once you get going they get easier to understand. I went out and picked up a book for the DAW I chose (Ableton). Also, many DAWs are shared out in there in the great world wide web.

Though I don't produce hip-hop or anything, I would definitely say get a decent pair of monitors. Learn their sound and they will help you dial in your mixes on any genre of music. If you can't afford monitors, get a solid pair of mixing headphones (not headphones with the bass pushed up so high you can't hear anything else).

I would also recommend a decent condenser mic for vocals. You don't want to have shitty rock band mic vocals on serious tracks. Because I recommend a mic, you will also need a good little audio interface. One with 1 or two XLR inputs should do the trick.

14. simple midi controller(70+), DAW of your choice(around400), studio monitoring headphones(100-200+) since speakers cost alot. if you still have around 150-200 bucks left, go for a soft synth like massive. and lastly... the internet, free :D

oh yeah...ableton rules! lol! :)