Looking for Critique of Closet Grow Setup

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by lefthand dutch, Sep 5, 2011.

1. #1 lefthand dutch, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2011
    Hey everyone…

This will be a first-grow for me, though I have got some good advice (and am hoping to get more here). Space is very limited, so I chose to go with a self-contained grow box. The INSIDE dimensions are only 1'5” wide x 2' deep (I would've preferred to go wider than deeper, but again, due to the space I have to work with). So, I am working with only 2.77 square feet of space. Overall, including both chambers, the box is 6' high.

There is not much to see in the jpegs- everything is pretty standard- vegetative/cloning chamber, and a flower chamber (I may incorporate a third chamber, for drying or storage). The box will be built with a 2”x2” frame, wrapped in ½” soundboard (to dampen sound from the fan and air pump), and then 3/8” plywood. I'm using an inline duct fan that runs between 80-100 cfm into a carbon scrubber.

Grow will be two DWC bubblers in 5 gallon buckets. I will probably do a scrog grow.

SO… here are my greatest concerns:

1. What would be the best way/where is the best location for passive air intake? Should I create openings in the floor of the veg chamber and in the floor of the flower chamber? What about side vents?

2. As you can see in the overhead view, space is TIGHT- two 5 gallon buckets right up on each other, although I will probably improve this by getting 4 gallon square buckets. In terms of floor space inside the flowering chamber, I don't need much- just air intake- I can keep everything else (air pump, electric, fan) either mounted on the side of the box, or kept outside the box. Assuming I just keep the 5 gallon buckets, is it just ridiculous to attempt two flowering plants in this small of space?

3.Does anyone know of a chart or a table that gives estimates of temperatures based on the light used (number of watts) and the amount of space (cubic feet)? It'd probably be hard to calculate. Anyway, I am either running a 150 watt HPS or a 250 watt HPS. Obviously, considering the small space, my concern is too high of temperatures. Any thoughts or advice?

I'm also looking for overall critiques and advice on the design- I know it's just a box and is pretty straightforward, but any input would be very much appreciated! If anyone has any questions about specifics, please let me know!

Cheers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. i do see an issue with how you plan to lay out your plants once they start growing big and fast it wont be easy for you to work with the back plant , unless you plan on having two doors one on the side and front so you will be able to work with the back plant, if you already figured that out great, good luck to you

3. #3 Bongsauce, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
    smurf has a good point with being able to access the back once it gets thick. I've seen dudes that put heavy duty drawer slides in and make the whole thing slide out.

Sounds like you're leaving a hollowchamber between the soundboard and plywood? If so you could utilize that space as a sort of 'wetwall' type intake...just stagger holes well so that it stays lightproof. I'd pull the fresh air in through the bottom and zigzag it in making it come out of the walls and floor..lemme see if I have a pic..yeh here's a few random designs I drew for a speakerbox...just so you can see the various types of intakes..
    \
    ledcab - Marijuana Pictures, Photos & Videos - Grasscity.com Media Gallery

http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost/data/3084/medium/speakerboxconcept.JPG

airlfowchart: airflowchart - Marijuana Pictures, Photos & Videos - Grasscity.com Media Gallery

I'd try to fit the 250 in there...it will be alot tougher to cool though. Get a nice strong fan and a fan controller...better to have overkill and just dial it down a bit. You have alot of vertical height for a 250w ...try to keep her short and bushy, you won't get decent buds more then 16inches from the light...alternatively you could run dual 150's and cooltube them right down the center...but that's of course more work...but more yield too.

..also, have you considered just 1 large container with multiple sites? I'd run 4 clones vegged for like a week or 2. :smoke:

edit: with a stacked design like that, with the veg chamber below...your fresh air intake for the flower chamber will warm up a little if it cycles through the veg chamber first...the larger flowering chamber with more watts will be easier to cool with a direct fresh air intake. I see alot of grows that are setup like that but I'm betting they're running a few degrees warmer due to that setup...so it does work out..i dunno, I'm just picky I guess :p

4. if you dont mind pulling the plants out every time to check or to water it shouldnt be that big of a issue. i dont water inside my box any ways.. just dont wanna take my chances

5. my box is using a wetwall intake and exhaust, but for that to work you have to place your fans just right and you should prob have 10 or so combined fans if your using computer fans, unless you plan on using a different kinda fan then prob would take a 3/4 as many also as for your comment bout the air zigzaging the flow of my box is in from one side at the bottom up the box through the intake into the grow chamber out the exhaust fans down and out the bottom at the other side

6. Smurf, that's an excellent point, that I have thought about some- how do I get access to the crop in the back? The answer is, I won't be able to. That's a huge problem... Although, doing a scrog grow, won't most of my 'work' be below the canopy, where theoretically there would be room? I'm probably just being optimistic... Damn. There has to be an answer.

Bongsauce! Great links, thank you! And thanks for your advice. In regard to getting a 250 in there- would it make that much of a difference (in terms of yield)? Heat is a concern, for certain. Going by the standard of 2500-5000 lumens per square foot, theoretically I'd have nearly 6000/sq.ft with the little 150 watt. But you really advise the 250?
    Also, when you mention one container with multiple sites... you mean like flowering two plants out of one DWC bubbler? Is that feasible?

In terms of passive air intake, I could downsize the veg chamber, and maybe create a chasm or passageway below the flower chamber, but beside the veg chamber.
    How much air intake and exhaust does a veg chamber need?

Cheers

7. #7 Bongsauce, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
    I think you would see a good difference in yield between the two...but the 250 will definitely be harder to cool. I don't want to set you up for problems later on if you can't cool it. There's a ton of things to factor in like ambient temps intake, airflow, exhaust..alot of it you just kinda have to figure as you go no matter how much research you put into it. With hid lighting 50w psf is recommended..you have 3square feet so a 150w would be adequate. It's your call if you want to go through the extra work to get the extra yield. You can always start with the 150 and upgrade later too..all you'd have to do is switch out the bulb and ballast...the cord and socket/hood stay.

With the container thing I meant like a single deep container that's like 20"x14" or something and popping 4 holes in the lid for 4x 3" net pots.

The veg chamber doesn't need much airflow...humidity will build a little but that's not a big deal in veg....as long as you can keep temps down of course.

Keep in mind this is still all in theory...in practice things can be more difficult. :)