Should heat be a concern in a shed?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by JNorris, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I have 2 plants growing under CFL bulbs (208 actual watts, 8 26 watt bulbs) 6 are 26 watt 2500k bulbs and 2 6500k bulbs. The new box is going to hold 12 CFL bulbs, so ideally im going to have 6 of each spectrum. The box has a passive intake hole and the exhaust has a desk fan configured into duct work. The box is going into the back of a shed thats in shade all day, exhausting and intaking through the back of the shed, Temperatures outside get around 90 degrees this time of year, if I have a decent air exchange should the heat be pretty much under control?
    If for some reason pictures are needed I can upload them upon request, Too lazy right now :smoking:

2. Thanks for the repl- oh wait

BUMP :)

3. If the shed reaches the same temperature as the outside temp, and it's 90 degrees, then your box will be like 100 degrees with the lights on, even in the shade.

4. This is very true. My rooms are always exactly 10F higher than the ambient temperature I am intaking and I have high powered exhaust,intake, and circulation fans.

90F is too hot for a plant to thrive, 100 is WAY too hot.

5. So the reading with the current set up was about 101, which i know is far too hot, Were doing 3 maybe 4 things.
    1) new exhaust (at least twice as powerful as the current one)
    2) intake fan over passive intake
    3) air condition the shed with a home made air conditioner (Copper lining in front of a fan with container of almost freezing water run through the pipes, they condensate and absorb the cold very well, then are blown out from the fan
    4) Spend $40 on a normal air conditioner from craigs list and air condition the shed, intake from inside the shed

eh?

Edit: We have all the materials for the home made air conditioner aside from a submersible water pump, which I can grab off amazon for $16

6. Here's my 2 pennies....

1) can't go wrong with more exhaust
    2) An intake fan is not going to cool the space, need would depend on how much air your passive intake is funneling.
    3) I wanna know if that works, It sounds too good to be true
    4) That's about your only real solution

7. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR9CA8lJGvs]‪home made air conditioner‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I agree it sounds a bit too good to be true, but its worth a shot

8. well, that's basically how an AC works, minus the heat exhaust. I've seen ventless AC's at walmart that use the same principal. I forget what they are called. :confused: Some even let you use freezer packs to place in front of the fans.

The problem with them is their maximum cooling potential is only 12F. If you're home made AC drops your temps 5F in that shed, I would be surprised.

9. If you are pulling in 90F air it won't cool it down. Your minimum temp will be 90 in that scenario, and probably higher than that.

Hot air in doesn't win.

10. ^^ this is something to think about.

No matter what you do, you are fighting a loosing battle. Look what happens when you turn on your AC and leave a window cracked on the other end of the room. The AC fights with the air coming in to cool the space.

Even with a large AC pumping full blast you will find it hard to keep your temps under 85F, since you are intaking hot air.

11. Well good idea any way Right now I'm temp testing a male where it gets up to 106f, He has been out there for 2 days with no visable effects.I had to seperate him, and the heat was the only area left.... I do have fans on him,but my are thermo says he has seen 106

12. MJ can handle extreme heat but it is not optimal. High heat will equal a low yield among other possible issues.

This isnt necessarily true of males since they aren't meant to live as long as blooming females.

Of course outdoors this goes right out the window. There is something about mother nature that takes care of the plants no matter how hot, as long as it is natural conditions.

13. i would buy a ac it solved all my problems. but there are other options as well, could make a ac fan, dry ice, more exhaust , or intake but if the outside temps hot your going to need to cool it in some shape or form. even with more exhaust you wont drop lower then the outside temp

14. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Small-Fan-Mini-Air-Conditioner-convenient/dp/B002F8IFV6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1311187489&sr=8-5]Amazon.com: Small Fan & Mini-Air Conditioner: The Original Handy Cooler in Blue. Portable and convenient. Runs on batteries or USB. Cools air up to 30F.: Electronics[/ame]

:confused_2:

15. AH-HA.... That's it... an "evaporative cooler" that's what they are called.

Sorry, it wont cool anywhere near 30F. don't you think if such technology existed every AC manufacturer in the world would be utilizing it? Can you imagine the commercials for an AC guaranteed to cool your living room 20F for literally pennies a day?

Real temp control for that shed is going to be rated in thousands of BTU's.

16. you could increase your intake to a metre wide and it wont make the slightest difference if its hot air.....if your box is ow 101 then your intake air would have to be like 70f at most or something to try balance it. thats just a guess but you realy are fighting a hard battle

17. Buy aluminium air duct and digg it undergrownd. One side goes into box and other side takes air in.

The longer the duct and the deeper u digg, the cooler the air gets.

18. A swamp cooler would work well in a very dry place like west texas , new mexico or colorado

19. I grow in a tool shed that is in full sun part of the day and my plants are doing fine. They needed hardened off just like when you take plants outside for the first time, but after adjusting they're doing great. But I like to keep the shed door open during the hottest part of the day to counter the heat.