Mystery Seed 1st Grow (Pics Inside)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by InPlainSight, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hello ladies and gentleman. My name is InPlainSight, but you may refer to me as IPS. I plan to keep a log of everything done here so I have a place to look back and also I am looking for feedback from you guys.

This is my first grow. After talking about growing with my buddies for years we finally got a place of our own and I decided to take the plunge.

A little about myself: I am I college student so I have to keep the budget to a bare minimum until my first harvest. I choose CFL's to keep the costs down. Me and my two roommates have our own house so privacy isn't going to be a huge problem but I am still trying to keep the set-up a little secluded.

The plan is to get all seven plants through the seedling cycle inside at which point 4 will be moved out of the grow box for a separate project I am starting. 3 Plants will be grown in this box, 1 of which I plan on LST'ing.

I would like to thank Budzille420 and Stylez1877 for they're very well written guides that were used during this grow.

Grow Area:
    3x2x2 desk area behind computer monitor

4" intake running from ceiling central air

Product:
    7 Unknown Bagseeds

Lights:
    11 "EcoSmart" brand Daylight Compact Fluorescent bulbs (27 watt, 5000K, 1750 lumens)
    11 "EcoSmart" brand Soft White Compact Flourescent bulbs (23 watt, 2700K, 1600 lumens)
    3 utility light fixtures
    8 socket y-splitters

Materials:
    Thermometer
    Tupperware
    Paper Towels
    Plastic Baggies

Soil:
    Miracle Grow 'Seed Starter' (Rated at 0.05-0.01-0.05)

I will continually update this list as my grow progresses.

Now onto the grow:
    I do not have pictures during the germination process as I decided to start this journal on the fourth day.
    Day 1: I gathered up all of my seeds, my tupperware, and two thick paper
    towels. I followed this guide by Stylez1877 for my germination process.
    Day 2: No signs of germination
    Day 3: All 7 seeds successfully germinated. I filled 7 of the plastic cups with soil, made about a 1/4" hole with a pen, and in went the seeds. The cups were placed under the 11 Daylight bulbs on a 24-hour on cycle.
    Day 4: The little sprouts are starting to make their way out of the soil. I feel the the "box" is getting to hot. During the day the temperature is around 90. I think I am going to try to rig up some sort of fan.
    ("Out" being the temperature inside the grow box)

Attached Files:

2. Subbed again.

3. #3 InPlainSight, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
    Day 6: 3 of the seven plants have sprouted and are showing their cotyledons. (first three pictures)
    I dug around in the dirt of the other 3. I know, i know i should just leave them alone, but curiosity got the best of me. In one it appears the germinated seed disappeared?(fourth pic) :confused: I'm guessing it died and withered into the soil. Another one I moved a little soil and found a twisted sprout that looked almost as if it was growing into the soil instead of toward the light.(fifth) And the third and fourth ones look like they are just slow growers, still breaking threw their shells just below the soil.(sixth)

To address my heat concerns yesterday I added an osculating fan and moved the AC inlet to just behind the fan so that it blows cold air throughout the box. Currently the temperature is around 88-89 but I hoping to see those numbers drop. (seventh) (The vertical shadows in the picture are just my camera's inability to deal with the amount of light in the box)

Soil is still moist from pre-seedlings so I have yet to water them.

Does the sprout in the second picture look kinda blue/purple or is it just my eyes from looking at these lights? Is it okay?

Edit: Fixed the pictures. User error.

Attached Files:

4. JayF, thank you for the idea of a SCROG. I looked into the idea and due to the limits on space I have I may end up going this route instead of LST.

5. No worries. Thanks for the rep.

What's the problem with the photos? Make sure they are within the size limits. On some browsers it just gets stuck without a warning if they're not. It tripped me up a few times.

6. Just returning the favor.

For some reason Firefox keeps saying that the connection is being reset.
    I uploaded and linked to them at imgur for the time being. hopefully it will sort itself out.

7. Fixed my temperature issue. "In" is the temp on the right side of the box and "out" is on the left side.

Attached Files:

8. Day 7: Nothing exciting today. Sprouts continue to grow pain-stakingly slowly

9. Sprouts do grow pretty slowly. Once they get a few sets of fan leaves on them they'll pick up the pace. Once they hit vegetative state proper they explode.

10. lookin good. subbed.

:bongin:

11. #11 InPlainSight, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011
    Day 8: Progress continues. Can't believe its been a whole week already. Birthday pictures attached!!:

Attached Files:

12. Day 9: The second set of leaves started to show on one of the plants. Watered 2 teaspoons per plant today.

Attached Files:

13. Sorry for the lapse in my updates guys. The weekend came around and college life grabbed a hold of me. But back to my babies:
    Day 10 & 11: No big changes. Watered them as needed.
    Day 12: Growth is starting to increase, pictures attached:

Attached Files:

14. Should I change the light cycle to 18/6 now? It has been on 24 since planting

15. now that they have their roots trying chucking in a LITTLE bit of nitrogen (i find this helps them grow faster) and start watering every 2 days

16. they'd be fine if you switched to 18/6.