1st Pc-grow (CFL) Chrystal DWC Hydro

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Ad11i, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hey Guys n Gals.

Its my 1st grow so any tips would be appreciated. Its taken me a while to get it set-up and ive still got a few things to buy. I will be adding Photos as I go.

Im going to be using "herbalthumbs" grow as a guide.

Seedling is about 3 days old and I've just started adding a 25% mix of Canna Hydro Vega to the existing resevoir of pure water. Temp is 27 degrees Celcius at the tip of seedling. Im intending to have it on 25% nute mix within 3 days so basically a week after sprouting. Im quite unsure of how close I can put it to the lights and I dont want to risk burning it so at the moment its 2 inches away. Ive bunched 3 x 20 watt CFL
    together. I will add 2 more as soon as it gets bigger. Thats about all I can think of at the moment apart from my Thermometer is built in to the PC case and Ive got a basic air pump and stone for the DWP and a scrogg that isnt ideal but can be adapted later.

Please comment if u have suggestions or have used a set-up like this before or if u want any more details.

Cheers

2. Sounds like your off to a good start. whats the medium you used to start the grow in? You shouldnt start any nutes with a seedling I overnuted once with only a few drops in a 2g reservoir. The closer the cfl's the more dense and short the plant will be. They lose alot of light after more than 6 in away. As long as the temps are down.

3. Cheers for Nute Advice, seems ok though so far. Do u think I should get it back onto pure water. I would say that it the nute mix must be about 12.5% if u take into account that the mix was only 25% and its been added to the resevoir of pure water. How long will it take to show effects of being fed to soon? What signs am I looking for?

Im growing in Seramis Clay Granulate.

Ive realised im not using the best Nutes for DWC and cant get replacement for 2 weeks by which time im gonna be half way through the veg cycle. Can I switch nutes half way through veg? Can I change to correct flower nutes when the time comes or should I flower with the follow up veg nutes im using? Im using Canna Hydro Veg at the moment and should be using Canna Aqua Veg.

I also havent got a pH meter as yet so should I change the water/nutes every day?

Cheers for the tips

4. Canna nutes are awesome some of the best. I havent ever heard of canna hydro? Theres Terra for soil , Canna Coco for coco, and Canna aqua for hydro. Are you sure its hydro?

The reservoir water can be changed once a week or every other. Theres even some who use the same reservoir water the whole grow. Shouldn't ever be changed daily unless theres problems.

Nute burn will look like burnt tips and edges of the leafs can even kill a seedling so be careful. I've see others wait till the third set of leafs before adding nutes at 1/4 strength.

As for the ph get a meter as soon as possible with some ph up and ph down very cheap at the pet store or order at amazon only around $16. You can get strips to test it or a drop kit. I use this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/pH-Control-Kit-General-Hydroponics/dp/B000BNKWZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300312151&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: pH Control Kit - General Hydroponics: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Heres my favorite pc grow its a good idea to read through so you know what you will be in for First Ever Grow - Stealth PC Easy Ryder Bubbleponics

:smoke:

5. Hey BowlPacker.

Just checked and its definately "Hydro Vega" and its for run to waste set-ups. Just had the same conversation with the guy at Hydroponic shop though so maybe its new or something. He had a bottle of "Canna Start" or something but the plant seems to be doing ok on 25% nutes.

I bought a new air stone and a pH reading kit but only bought pH down as I suspected the tap water would be quite Alkaline, wished I had bought up aswell instantly as it only takes a drop or 2 and Im not totally convinced its at 6 although from reading threads here it seems that the pH goes up overtime, I'll check in a while.

I read the thread u suggested, was very impressed although it does seem that people only grow in a P.C once then upgrade to something bigger. I can see why and to be honest I've got a cupboard I've been eyeing up.

Whats your method BowlPacker???

6. Thought I'd list my components...........

Full P.C Tower with Built in thermometre,
    2 x 120mm fans (intake and exhaust),
    Aquarium Pump, air line and Stone,
    Earth magnets (for power strip)
    2 x power strip (2 gives better light options),
    3 litre Resevoir,
    5 x 20 watt CFL's (day light),
    Canna 'Hydro' Nutes.

7. Ya if you have the space a cabinet can have a larger yield and less heat problems. But for stealth a pc tower is perfect. I thought about making one out of server tower im not sure why more people dont do that?

Currently ive got a micro grow of some auto ak47 in a small dwc in a custom cabinet under cfl's.
    But once its warm enough I go outdoor.

8. Yeah full towers are still a bit cramped, had to get rid of one of my light traps today.

I got my tower here if anyones interested, full tower 52cm high for £35.00, absolute bargain.

Scan.co.uk: Xclio / Meridian Technology SuperTower Black Tower Computer Case

I have another question if anyones listening.... I currently have 100 watt of Cfls and my plant is 3" away from them and the temp at the tip of the plant, under the light, is around 28 degrees celcius. Would growth speed up if I moved the plant another 1.5" towards the light and put another fan in to keep it around 28 degrees?

9. Also I have a Negative Ion generator in my living room, should this be placed in the case? Its currently sat 8' away on a shelf. I guess I could put it on top of the case or by the intake fan. Does anyone have any knowledge of these?

Cheers

10. Probably wont start smelling til flower so you still have a bit. Being small also helps reduce smell. The closer to the lights the less stretch more bushy as long as its not to hot.

11. Cool, well ive moved it an inch closer as the temps have changed since taking out the second light trap.

Checked the p/H this morning and that seems stable. p/H 6

Will have photos up by the end of sunday at the latest.

So ive been looking into the effects of co2 in the roots systems and its a fairly controversial subject. Anyone had any experience of this? Im thinking about setting up a sugar and yeast generator with the hose from it leading into the air pump for my bubbler. Im thinking the amount of air that goes through the pump mixed with a tiny bubble of co2 every 5 seconds cant really hurt it and this way I dont have to turn my fans off.

Please comment with your suggetions and advice

Cheers

12. Also the bottom of my net pot is 1cm above the resevoir water level and the growing medium hasnt dried out, Im assuming once the roots have grown into the resevoir i'l be able to let the level drop considerably??

13. Im not sure about the co2 next to the air pump havent ever tried. Most I see put the custom co2 with a straw coming out right over there plant because co2 is heavier than air. I kept my waterline close to my net pots when they were starting then dropped maybe a inch or less below.

14. Cheers. Do u ever water from the top?

15. Any chance you could post some pictures of your set up? I'm thinking of doing something similar.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't see you mention putting pictures up on Sunday. I'll check back then.

16. Hey Don

Sunday has past and still no pictures so fair comment. I will definatley put some up soon but I have to find a memory card reader first.

Cheers

17. Grow is going well G.C!!

Fairly pleased so far. I thought my little plant was a bit slow at first but she seems to be about on cue.

Dropped my pH from 6.8 to 6 and it made all the difference.

Think im gonna pinch out the tip above the fourth node. Hopefully I'll be doing this sometime early next week.

She'll be on half nutes in a weeks time also and seems to be handling the quarter nutes fine for a seedling.

18. Ah, sorry. I'm a bit tired and was thinking you meant next Sunday. I look forward to them regardless. Another question: What are the dimensions of your box?

19. Well there is now a lot of roots coming from the bottom of the Pot. Mostly just tips but there is 2 major taps about 50mm long.

Foliage is still continuing to grow and I'm having to bring the pH back down to 6 daily. The third set of leaves is now visible and she is starting to drink. Topped her up with fresh pH'ed nutes earlier today.

Have read all about Scrogs today, I learnt a lot and am looking forward to getting on with it. Little while yet though, She's only 10 days old.

Have a couple of questions for G.C.....

Q1. If my nodes are to close together will I end up with leafy buds?

Q2. The leaves on my plant are lopsided and the first set of true leaves are malformed, does my plant have bad genetics?? The seeds are Nirvana Seeds- Chrystal Fem from London Seed Co. ( I know, London. Could be growing a Dandellion plant for all I know, haha)

Cheers!!