First Rubbermaid Grow - HEAT Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by muddypools, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hey all, been a long time toker and decided to try my hand at growing in a Rubbermaid setup! As of now I'm about 1 week into the whole grow process, so here's my setup:

Two 35 gallon Rubbermaids
    8 45-watt 6500k CFL bulbs on Y-sockets
    Mylar all around the inside, and weather stripping on the middle
    4" passive intake and 6" exhaust with 120mm fan

Now I'm not sure why, but my temps have been getting pretty high during the day, anywhere from 90-98 during the day. I'm worried my seedlings will start to die out or have stunted growth if I can't fix it soon. After a week the second nodes are starting to grow but the cotyledons are drooping and yellowing a bit already :(
    My fan says it's 65 CFM, shouldn't that be enough for such a small case? I've been looking at this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunleaves-Wind-Tunnel-line-Exhaust/dp/B002JLGL9M"]Amazon.com: Sunleaves Wind Tunnel 6" In-line Exhaust Fan: Kitchen & Dining[/ame] but it costs more than the whole rest of the project combined... The box is in a closet with an ambient temperature of about 75-80 during the hot part of the day. Oh, and I've been running the lights 24/0 since the start.

2. I have a rubbermaid setup as well, I'm doing a scrog in it and I find that the rubbermaids really need the 8 hours of dark in order to have a cool down period. I have my lights on during the day, and off at night. I don't have a timer so I just turn them on at 6am off at 10pm. My fan is really really loud, i took it out of a space heater, and it creates a massive suction when its on, so it's hard to keep the fan on for more than an hour without anyone noticing, so i normally just lift the lid up and vent it out that way. I'm growing mad sativas, so they don't seem to mind the heat as much as previous grows I've had where the indicas wilted alot because it was too warm.

3. 65 CFM is plenty of air for the plants to breathe, but you might need a lot more air movement to keep things cool.

Possible solutions include unplugging a couple of lights until the seedlings start to grow bigger, switching to 18/6 or 20/4 (turning the lights off during the hottest ambient temps) and adding a fan inside the box to promote proper circulation and give your ladies a little breeze.

That fan you linked to would certainly work, although it looks to be serious overkill.