Lighting for one tiny closet plant?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by devecstator, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Im planning to grow one small plant in my closet. I have the space set up and i hooked a light bulb socket to the wall. I also put a really tall mirror facing inwards idk if that helps... I have one 13W cfl that puts out 830 lumens, will this be enough light to sustain my plant through flowering? or am i gona have to get more lights...? I'm planning on like a 3 foot plant max.. I've already started to germinate so if i could get some quick knowledgeable answers, thatd be awesome.

thanks

2. first off that mirror isnt going to do you any favors since mirrors don't reflect light, they absorb it your better of just using aliminum foil its nice n cheep. as for your lighting you definately want some more lighting the more light the better

3. Okay, well I've read that i need a 6500k bulb for the veg stage... so ill get a more powerful bulb with the right colour and hopefully thatll do the trick, then mabye once it gets like 6" ill add in a 2700k and go to 12/12...

but as for the mirror, i have it facing inwards, then i have one panel of cardboard lined with foil on the left side, then two yellow walls on the back and right sides.. so is the mirror really that much of a loss? it must keep some light in... Or should i still get rid of it... ?

4. I would use alumimum foil - if painting the inside white isn't an option.

I don't think there is any advantage with the mirror. White is best. Aluminum foil is an okay substitute.

5. Don't use aluminum, it can burn the plants. And one light bulb won't be enough. You need about 100w of light for one plant. If you can find the 26w 6500k, get four of them and you'll be great. Anywhere between 5000-6500k is good for vegging. If you can find two 40w though you could probably get along.

If you're looking a way to light proof the closet as well, I used vinyl weatherstrips that can be found at home depot for about $5 for 25ft.

6. okay, I went to Lowe's today and i picked up a 6500k cfl that has a 3 way switch, it can go 50W, 100W, and 150W. Then i still have the other 13W cfl 2700k. Im gona grow two plants now i think in case i get a male, and my space is mabye 1.5 square feet probably less, and its about 5 feet tall. What do you guys suggest for lighting for all the different stages with what i have now?

The point of the mirror though, is that its super tall and i duct taped it to the side of my closet so it blocks the light really well. Would it work if i cover the mirror with white paper? like just tape a bunch of sheets to it, then it will be white, am I right?

Let me know guys, thanks

7. One last thing, i have two different kinds of fertilizer, 10-15-10, and 5-30-5...

im guessing 10-15-10 for veg and the other one for flowering?